“Friendly staff, amazing atmosphere”

Livingstone Backpackers
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Friendly staff, amazing atmosphere”
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for two months and it was my home away from home- the staff were wonderful and made me feel so comfortable. Bar was always a fun time and the pool is perfect for a bit of pool volleyball :) such a great location- walking distance to shops, restaurants, bars & town. I can't wait to come back! Would recommend this place to anyone!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Stef T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Barcelona, España
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We spend 3 days here, the owner was a very nice British woman, who has a very nice place, the room was new build, nice and good bed, fresh, and no mosquitos, the showers and bathrooms outside was clean all the time, the bar and the pool are very good, surrounded by mangos, guavas and advocados trees, the price was excellent only 30$ for a night in a double bed. But internet was not free and the kitchen was in not good shape, only one fridge, full and not clean inside, and a microwave its necessary but don't have it. Nice place to stay

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Yokneam Moshava
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Indeed it was my first impression of an African backpackers hostel. My son was already staying there, so it wasn't my choosing, but my first impression of it was quite good, although the dorm's rooms were as simple as possible.
I liked the calm atmosphere, the mango trees that kept dropping ripe fruites, the nice swimming pool (possibly better to look at, then actually to swim in), the open kitchen, and the friendly staff.
It was also quite conveniently located in a short distance from the center.
Overall, quite nice. Spent there 3 nights.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank OphirB
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Overall was very disappointed by this hostel:

- The rooms were very cramped and hot. Staff could not spare a fan for the first night so the room was baking. Even with the fan the room was still extremely hot.
- The water pump broke so there was no water for showering, toilets or drinking (advertised as being free) for 2 days. Sure these things happen but you can make effort to compensate through a discount, providing bottled water, complimentary drink...something?
- Nice pool and bar area however very difficult to track down staff to get a drink at times (there only seems to be one person working there at one time).
- The kitchen was GROTTY, the fridge hadn't been cleaned out in a long time.
- Wifi hardly ever worked. When you are paying for it I would expect the standard to be much higher
- Restaurant wasn't in operation at the time

Its a shame because the hostel has a really nice vibe and shared space but management just couldn't seem to get it together. Overall I would avoid and recommend Jollyboys instead

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This place was just exactly what we needed. Good location, decent rates and friendly staff....and it's got a bar! We stayed here for 3 nights in October 2013. We were going to camp again but ended up staying in one of the dorms...a comfy bed for a change! At times on our travels around Africa we've felt a bit unsure about our surroundings however Livingstone was great (and the backpackers has 24hr security). The town has good bars/restaurants and there is loads to do. Diving with crocodiles and the rafting was fantastic. The guides even came back to the backpackers with us for a few beers! But the Vic Falls itself was truly amazing. You just have to see it for yourself.........I've read on tripadvisor that some people say that they got bitten by bugs and it was a bit dirty.....it's Africa!!! What did you expect??!!
If you're visiting Livingstone and the Vic Falls I fully recommend staying at the Livingstone Backpackers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Livingstone backpackers have a nice pool and it`s a good place to meet funny people. It`s great atmosphere in the weekends. Like some other reviews I had bug bites from the bed. So it`s not very clean.
Still the staff are friendly and the showers are nice. It`s a ok place but livingstone has a lot of great places to stay.
Also very cheap(around 10-14 $)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Sogndal Municipality, Norway
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I came to Livingstone Backpackers for the second time, but I wish I didn't.
My first experience, in September, was ok. Not great, but it was ok. This time, I just stayed for one night (compared to 3 last time). It was just a place to crash after a night out, so checked in in the evening and went out with my friend. Spent the night, and the following day I had bites all over my side, and my friend had also some bug bites. Obviously the beds were not as clean as I wanted them to be.
I'm never picky, but next time, I will try another backpacker place in Livingstone.

The good things about LB, is the friendly staff. Never had any problems with them, and they always help us out on activities we want to do.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends