“Lovely, relaxing backpackers in Livingstone”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Fawlty Towers

Fawlty Towers
Kerry, Ireland
“Lovely, relaxing backpackers in Livingstone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

The location is excellent. Large supermarket, myriad of restaurants, bureau de change and ATMs are within 3 minutes walking distance.

Excellent security at the gates as it is not a public bar, so the guards ensure that only residents enter. The bar was very quiet during the five nights I spent in Fawlty Towers. People who stay here are a mixture of ages, all of whom seemed to stop drinking after one beer! So if you want to relax and read a book, or swim in a quiet place, this is for you.

The freebies on offer are wonderful - free tea and coffee all day, free pancakes at 3 o' clock, free airport pick up and free daily shuttle to the falls/Zambezi bridge, free library of books to read. Wifi is free and fast - brilliant. Towels are essentially free, as you get your deposit back on departure.

I think the food is good value and well sized. I had the full Irish breakfast for 35 kwatcha and they also serve meals in the evening.

The girls in the on-site activities centre ring and book all activities on your behalf and they have plenty of leaflets and information guides available.

I stayed in a 4 bed and then a 6 bed dorm, for $15 per night. The showers and toilets are clean and frequently checked, so there's never a shortage of soap or toilet paper.

The two people who are worthy of a mention, from my experience, are Elissa the manager, who never tired of replying to my many emails prior to arrival and even let me change my dates with no problems or issues. Also the main chef is very talented and has thankfully passed on his culinary skills and sense of humour to the girls in the kitchen. The front desk staff are ok, but usually in backpackers (the ones I have been to) the receptionists and bar tenders tend to be full of life and chat and fun, whereas here they are very short with their answers (of course, being precise and succinct is important when you need exact information) and they seemed to be a bit jaded seeing the same type of travellers day in day out. I think a few more smiles and small talk would be appreciated.

The second thing that I was not used to is the fact that there is only one key per room, which is fine when everyone in the group knows each other, but all the people in my dorm were solo travelers. One of my roommates left the door ajar right before bedtime and when I went to lie down I heard meowing - from the cat who had snuck under my bed and didn't want to leave! A bit of fun!

I would definitely return here to relax and unwind.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
ElissaDavie, General Manager at Fawlty Towers, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear KerryGirl_14.

Thank you very much for your thorough review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location excellent. Fawlty Towers is perfect for travellers who don't have a vehicle as we are close to shops, restaurants, ATMs, taxis etc and when you do activities, most operators will pick you up from Fawlty Towers (and deliver you back safely afterwards).

We do have strict security at our gate to ensure our residents feel safe whilst staying with us. We allow visitors in if we know their reason for visiting but we have a right of admission reserved policy which we enforce where necessary.

As you mention, our guests are a mixture of ages and although we have a bar, we promote more of a chilled out atmosphere than a big party scene, although, there are the occasional parties that do take place, but this mainly depends on the crowd. There are bars and clubs within walking distance of Fawlty Towers so any guests who fancies a big night out, can easily access these and still come home to bed for a quiet night's sleep.

I am glad you were able to take advantage of the free facilities we offer and also got to sample some of our chef's cooking. We are very reasonably priced for food and as you mentioned, portion sizes are good. Our chef stays until 18h30, so we serve dinner up until 18h00 but for larger groups of 4 or more guests, our chef will willingly stay longer to serve a later dinner.

Our staff at reception are very professional and as you pointed out, very precise and succinct when providing information and are usually friendly but I expect they have occasional days where they are tired and perhaps the friendliness does not shine through. I'll be sure to chat with them about this. And, I shall pass your message onto our kitchen staff. They will be delighted to hear that they made you laugh.

With regard to the one key per dormitory situation, we have this policy for security reasons. If there are several keys for one door floating about, there is a higher risk of the keys going missing, landing in the wrong hands and putting our guest's belongings at risk. We therefore request that dormitory guests leave their key with reception when they go out so that the next person in the dorm can collect it from reception if they need to get in. I bet your uninvited guest (one of our cats) was delighted to find a warm, cozy room to sneak into, to escape the cooler winter nights.

Thanks again for your great feedback. Happy travels wherever you go next.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Torrance, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I stayed in one of the deluxe rooms for about two weeks, The room was spacious, appealing, and comfortable, the bathroom was large (with only a bar of soap--no shampoo, etc), supplied with towels. The air conditioning is excellent, and we appreciated the mosquito nets. Rooms are cleaned and towels re-supplied upon request. The grounds (large garden and pool) are lovely and very well-kept--a wonderful, quiet place just to sit and read a book from their library. The food in the restaurant is excellent. We also appreciated the collective kitchen for guests, which is amply supplied with dishes, pots, pans, utensils, a refrigerator, and is cleaned daily. The staff, in addition to being friendly and welcoming, was very helpful in booking outings such as the Rhino safari walk and Victoria Falls. The guest house is very centrally located near restaurants, across the street from a supermarket and ATMs, and within walking distance of the Livingstone museum.

Room Tip: For two people, the deluxe rooms are much more comfortable than the regular rooms (we stayed in both...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elinor A
ElissaDavie, General Manager at Fawlty Towers, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Elinor A

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I agree with you 100% that our Deluxe Suites are really worth the additional USD15 and the rooms are very affordable at their price. I am so pleased to hear you had a comfortable stay.

I am glad you managed to find yourself an interesting book to read. We do have a reasonable selection on our bookshelves, which is great, given that there are no bookshops in Livingstone.

We have two gardeners constantly at work in our gardens and so we are pleased with our little oasis so I am delighted to hear that you were able to experience the tranquility of our gardens.

Thank you for your feedback about the food at our eatery. I am glad you enjoyed our good old fashioned cooking. Thank you too for the positive feedback about our communal kitchen.

I am very please that you found our staff welcoming and friendly and efficient at booking your activities for you. I trust you enjoyed your Rhino Walk and trip to Victoria Falls. I hope you were able to advantage of our free daily shuttle to Victoria Falls.

Please do come stay again, should you pass via Livingstone. As you pointed out, we are ideally located for restaurants, grocery store, ATMs and of course accessing the town centre.

Thanks again for the great feedback.

Elissa Davie
General Manager.
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Fawlty Towers is a good place to relax if you are looking for it. I stayed in a twin room with my friend and we liked so much. All the places where so clean and our bed were confortable. There are some restaurants around and a supermarket in front of the hostel. I made my own food and the kicthen was nice.
The only thing we didn't like was the stuff at recepcion. I never asked her name but she wasn't friendly and sometimes rude, but only her.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
ElissaDavie, General Manager at Fawlty Towers, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hi Adriano_Sato.

Thank you very much for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found our facilities clean and comfortable and our location good for accessing restaurants and the grocery store.

I am sorry to hear that you found a member of our reception staff unfriendly. I trust all our other staff were friendly. We usually have a reputation of being friendly and helpful and our reception ladies are usually very professional and helpful. I'll discuss your feedback with them. Thanks for the feedback on this matter.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed at Fawlty Towers in a group of four women, and we had a wonderful time! We felt safe and were very well taken care of by all of the staff. Everyone we talked to was very friendly and helped us navigate the city. The amenities were also just right and not too expensive. I felt right at home at Fawlty Towers!

Room Tip: Rooms farther away from the kitchen are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for your great review Ashli Z. I am so pleased to hear that you felt safe and well taken care of here at Fawlty Towers... A home from home! With best wishes, Elissa
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

There are some crazy expensive lodges in and around Livingstone, however the high standards of Fawlty Towers (even the dormitories) certainly give some overpriced mid-ranged options a run for there money. I stayed and relaxed for 3 nights and had a great time making new friends at the hostel. I had a minor run in with one of the bar staff but management promised to use the feedback for further customer service training so I can't complain.

Expect:
A real nice living room area in the main house
Fully equipped bar with DSTV (great for sport followers like me)
Speedy wifi
Some staff really helpful
Fantastic location at the Zimbabwe/Botswana rd junction with Shoprite just across the street and the highest rated restaurants in town nearby (Cafe Zambezi & Golden Leaf)
Great self-catering kitchen
Nice private rooms around the large backyard including a clean swimming pool

Don't expect:
Party hostel atmosphere, quite a mix of young and old
Budget laundry (50) or dining (40) prices, I'd call these prices mid-range

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank reeop
ElissaDavie, General Manager at Fawlty Towers, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Reeop, thank you very much for your lovely review.

I am pleased to hear you felt that our prices were reasonable for our standard of accommodation and I am glad to hear that you felt our facilities are of a high standard.

Thank you too, for your feedback regarding your experience with our barman. I have chatted with him and have suggested to him how he could have handled things better. We have recently sent our reception/bar staff on a customer care course. Our staff are usually very helpful, friendly and polite so the course was just to improve on this further. Constructive feedback from our guests is very helpful as it shows us where we can improve, so thank you.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and if you pass through Livingstone again, please do visit us.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I travelled down to Livingstone with my brother after spending a few days in Lusaka where he lives. We asked his friends in Lusaka if anyone had stayed at Fawlty Towers but no-one had so we really didn't know what to expect. Well, we need not have been concerned (not that we were). From the moment you walk through the front gates you feel like you've made the right choice of accommodation in Livingstone and everyone we spoke to during our stay there said they were impressed with the place.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and tidy as were the pool and garden. It's just a great place to come 'home' to after days out or if you feel like a rest day you can relax in the bar area, around the pool or in the gardens.
We originally booked 4 nights but as we enjoyed it so much, we couldn't bring ourselves to leave so we enquired if there were rooms available - luckily there were 2 en-suite rooms not booked so we turned our 4 nights there into 8 nights. I had read a review on Trip Advisor where someone else has done this and I'm sure other people will enjoy it so much they won't want to leave.

I can't wait to get back to Livingstone as there is so much to see and do and you know where I will be staying!

Well done to Elissa and her team.

Stuart M

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stuart M
ElissaDavie, General Manager at Fawlty Towers, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Stuart

Thank you so very much for your super review. I am so glad that you both enjoyed your stay with us so much. We are always delighted when a guest extends their stay; we view it as a compliment.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Livingstone.

Thanks again.

Steffisburg, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

i was staying there for 3 nights it is a great place to hang around there i stayed in the main building where the restaurant in 4 bed dorm the rooms are very clean as the facility the pool was clean and they look after the place very will

at 3 pm you get pancakes and from 7 am to 4 pm you have free tea or cafe they have a free shuttle to the falls runs 10 am in the morning and troops you of at the office where you get the ticket for the V Falls

i was there at te full moon time so the have a private taxi driver who is dropping you of at the office for the falls at night and he will wait for you
the have also have a kitchen for using but i was a bit disappointed about they did not have plats or cups or any thing for pouting the food after cooking
the location is very well done just accros the street there is a supermarket 3 minuts walk

if you stay there the providing a shower towel for 10 US as a deposeting and if you need a fresh towle you just exganing it

so in needs a bit improvements in the kitchen

but i would go back there again

Room Tip: get a dorm at the main building so you near to the free coffe and tea
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
ElissaDavie, General Manager at Fawlty Towers, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Marcryf.

Thank you very much for your lovely review. It is great to have the positive feedback and I am delighted to hear that you think that we look after Fawlty Towers very well. I am also pleased that you were able to sample our delicious free pancakes along with our free tea and coffee and make use of our free daily shuttle to the Falls.

It is fantastic that you were here at the right time of the month to be able to visit Victoria Falls during the full moon to see the Lunar Rainbow. The weather is perfect for Lunar Rainbows at the moment as the rains are now mainly gone and we are now having wonderful clear evenings, but without the winter chill. The weather is also perfect for a sunset cruise on the Zambezi River. With regard to the communal kitchen, our staff usually keep the kitchen well stocked with plates, bowls, knives, forks, spoons, cups etc but perhaps there are not enough for the amount of people using the kitchen. I shall certainly assess the situation again.