Firstly, on the positive side, the chalets are lovely with nice colors chosen for paints and all the things one likes to have on hand (coffee/tea making facilities, safe, mozzie nets and fan) provided. Also, the location of Maramba is good, being between the Falls and Livingstone. And the common areas are attractive with the bar and restaurant being especially well-placed on the river.
But on the negative side the restaurant was empty of diners each evening and so is rather depressing. The dinner menu is very limited with service starting at 7pm--too late for those with young children. With an updated and appealing menu and some enthusiasm I feel that the restaurant could pull in people from town and other lodges with its lovely deck and view of the Maramba River. As it is now, though, it appears most people go into town for meals.
Towels provided in the chalets were inadequate-- two small towels for two people. While I know water is always an issue, as is laundry, if lodges up in South and North Luangwa can manage more towels then Maramba certainly should be able to.
The breakfast service was atrocious. The first day no one came by at all. I eventually scrounged a muffin and some cheese on my own from a pretty empty buffet, but no cooked breakfast was offered, or even a "Good Morning", for that matter. The second day I managed to get the attention of a waitron, but she was not good at her job. She didn't bring half of our order or provide things like jam or butter although other tables seemed to have them.
I feel that with staff training Maramaba River Lodge could really be a great place to stay in Livingstone. Some staff already get it; our chalet was very nicely cleaned each day and the bartenders were uniformly good. But as a whole the lodge doesn't seem to be putting its best foot forward. I hope this can change.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4km from The Victoria Falls, Maramba River Lodge provides a most attractive all-year-round base to access The Victoria Falls. Maramba River Lodge is situated in the Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park overlooking the Maramba River. The lodge is visited by the resident wildlife with elephant wandering through the grounds at certain times of the year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Odigeo so you can book your Maramba River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maramba River Hotel Victoria Falls
- Maramba River Lodge Zambia/Victoria Falls