“Great place to stay”

Ranked #3 of 25 Bulawayo B&B and Inns
New York
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I spent a week in Bulawayo for work. Walking into Sondela Guest House after working all day felt like coming home, not coming back to some sterile/cold hotel. The owner, Rodney, makes you feel right at home and the staff is warm and welcoming. I have been traveling for work for 10 weeks and my week at Sondela Guest House was by far the best hotel experience I have had. The house is beautiful as well. I highly recommend this to people who hate staying in hotels and want a place with real character.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank EBerens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Al Khor, Qatar
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We booked the Sondela for two nights in advance, even that was easy. My email request was answered with a phone call within an hour and the statement soon emailed to me.
Rod the owner is a top man a real gentleman. His staff are wonderful and you are made to feel at home. Beds and showers the best since I left Qatar a few weeks ago! The thing is that the lodge is Rod's home not just a business.
Food - scrumcious delicious breakfast and dinner. Huge portions. Coffee and tea etc when you need it.
Secure and ever so helpful - I love this place. It is about 22 km from the Karmi ruins which are also a good place to visit and the museum is about 300m away.
Got to return!

Room Tip: Any room - it's all good. We used the Blue Room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Colin_Campbell_biker
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've been staying at Sondela for the past three years, each time I leave Harare for either work or pleasure I look forward to my stay there. Sondela is a home, and the staff there have always welcomed me into it. Apart from the comfortable accommodations, delicious meals, and consistent wi-fi, the staff and owners have always been friendly and interested in those who stay there. I've met a variety of interesting people, and have made a point to recommend the place to anyone who enjoys a good conversation and sofa. It's also a place where you can come and go without putting anyone out of their way, like other B&Bs. As an Embassy employee, I recommend it to all my colleagues and friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jillian B
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I am Roberta,I was traveling alone in many place inAfrica and in Bulawayo I stayed in Sondela. The place is amazing. A big and comfortable house, with good bedrooms. I feel like in my home.
But the best thing about this place is the people, Rodney and Prudence help me with all things in Bulawayo. The food was very good and the price is very accessible. All is very cleaning. I recommend Sondela in Bulawayo.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank RobertaGraboski
Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Sondela Guest House was my home for 2 months while I consulted on a agriculture development project in the region. Rodney is welcoming, attentive and always up for an adventure. Prudence is a lovely manager who is willing to help direct you for anything you may need. Grace feeds your soul and Julia ensures you are looking sharp everyday. The house is quirky and has an old world feel that makes you feel so relaxed and at home. It is a garden haven where all of your work troubles melt away. When I return to Zimbabwe, I will be sure to stay at Sondela again.

Room Tip: The White Room has a beautiful view of the garden but a bit more noise from the road. The Suite has...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Emily G
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We recently spent the night in Bulawayo and had been advised to stay at Sondela - how right that advice was. Rod welcomed us and could not have been more charming and attentive. His advice for dinner at the Shangri-La Chinese restaurant over the road was spot on, and his home was graceful, and well appointed family home. Breakfast was great - we will definitely be back

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan E
Langesund, Telemark, Norway
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

After a wonderful week in Cape Town and a 4 days round trip to Hwange National Park and Victoria Falls during Christmas, we came to Sondela to relax and enjoy the two last days of our vacation before returning home to Norway. We were warmheartedly welcomed already before we started our trip to Hwange, as the friendly owner, Rod, let us store most of our suitcases in the guesthouse to avoid filling the trunk of our rental cars. We were also asked if we wanted dinner when we returned four days later, and wow, the homemade roast chicken tasted deliciously! We really felt at home, we (a family of 9) "occupied" the TV room, the snooker table, the couches and the bar, and we really enjoyed the lovely ambience and the company of Rod and Kirsten, their family members and the rest of the staff. Our last day in Bulawayo was spent by the lovely pool, sun chairs, mattresses and pool towels were immediately provided and early in the morning of December 30th, Kirsten and Rod were up before dawn to drive all of us to the bus station in the city centre where the Pathfinder Coach was ready to take us to Harare. To make the waiting time before the plane departure In Harare less boring, Rod called a hotel and arranged that we could have a late lunch and rest in the hotel garden instead of waiting 8 hours at the airport. THANK YOU so much for making our stay unforgettable, and we wish you all the best for the business in 2014. Sondela Guesthouse is highly recommended! Kind regards on behalf of the Roerstad Family from Norway, Oddrun Roerstad

Stayed December 2013