Chilo Gorge Safari Lodge
The Palm Tree Place(Chiredzi)(Great Value!)
US$107
Travelocity
Sango Lodge(Chiredzi)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssave rivergonarezhou national parkself cateringchilojo cliffsthe riverbird lifesafari lodgeswimming poolgame drivesstunning viewsthree nightsgravel roadcliff overlookinglong drivespecies of birdsout of this worldlocal village
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Thank you so much for hosting my folks at the lodge for their anniversary. Living out the country you made this booking an absolute pleasure to make. All my queries and requests were all handled with care and speed and for this I am grateful.

My parents said they had the most amazing time and that everything was just perfect, from the tours to the meals, and to just enjoying the lodge. They mentioned how helpful the staff all were and that they went out of their way to make their stay as comfortable as possible, please convey our thanks to them.

My dad has been emailing me countless photos of their stay at Chilo, they make my heart ache for Africa! I hope that when we are next in Zim, we will be able to visit too.

Kindest regards and best wishes

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ChiloGorgeTeam, Front Office Manager at Chilo Gorge Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for sending your parents to us and we are thrilled they had such a good anniversary. Hopefully we will see you and your family with sometime soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Dear John and Nadine,
Thank you so much for such a great visit.
We thought Chilo Lodge was superb and the trip across into Gonarezhou was such an adventure. We loved every moment of it. The sundowner drinks at the Falls (looking for the bat hawk!?), the views and peaceful feel of the Lodge, the food, the bush, the staff, comfortable bed, super shower and the birding made it altogether a great stay. We look forward to visiting again as soon as Dave and I get a break from HAC. We have a 182 from the farm days so just hop into it whenever we need to get to the bush.
Hope you keep busy at the Lodge as it really is a good experience you serve up.
Warm regards,
Dave and Susan

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SJ M
Reviewed 30 December 2013

And Gonarezhou National Park and Chilo Gorge Lodge are a great place to come and find out for yourself. What a beautiful park - stunning alternating landscapes, with the Chilojo Cliffs as the breathtaking jewel in the crown. Animals everywhere, lots of healthy, shiny big game and hundreds of species of birds. And hardly a Homo Touristus in sight: during a 12-hour trip in the park, we saw two other small groups.

The lodge is beautiful and serene, surrounded by mature forest and set on a cliff overlooking the Save River. Lodge staff are extremely friendly, as one would expect in Zimbabwe, and the food is excellent. Lionel, our young guide, was an extremely knowledgeable and pleasant companion - Zimbabwe boasts the most extensive safari guide training programme in Africa. "The country’s wildlife guides, who are required to undergo a rigorous four-year certification process, are recognized as some of the best in the world" (Globe and Mail, Canada, 6 April 2013).

Chilo Gorge Lodge is the product of the country's first CAMPFIRE (Communal Areas Management Programme for Indigenous Resources) project. CAMPFIRE promotes the sustainable utilisation of natural resources and preservation of the rich natural heritage of Zimbabwe through the generation of income for rural communities. Chilo Gorge Lodge has developed an excellent relationship with the local Shangaan community, of which Thomas, the Head Guide who grew up in the adjacent village, is a proud example.

Big thumbs up.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Chilo Gorge and Gonarezhou are different from other wilderness areas. There is a feeling of serenity and primal bliss that make you feel as though you are witnessing Creation. The luxury of Chilo is understated, yet ever-present in the details. I stayed for three nights and never felt rushed or part of an organized plan. We crossed the Sabi River in a boat and picked up our game vehicle on the other side. I never saw another LandRover the entire time we were in the park. The area is wild, pristine, lush and serene. I enjoyed the fact that the animals are still a bit skittish around people. . . it's how it should be. My guide, Thomas, was exceptional and although I've been coming to Africa for more than 20 years, I still learned so much from him. He also took me into the local village and introduced me to some of the people. Clearly they all admire him, as he comes from the same village.

Chilo is the perfect place to relax and contemplate. Sitting on the deck overlooking the river, all you see and hear is nature: the flowing river, the trumpeting elephants, the singing birds. It is truly a paradise.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The view from the lodge is simply stunning : one can have breakfast overlooking the river wiith 10 , 15 elephants crossing slowly the river, giving a bath to the little ones or even getting frisky with one another.It is perched on a hill with nothing but a village nearby The service is friendly and the swimming pool most welcome upon returning from the 3 day camping. It did reconcile me with camping with its proper beds and shower! Unlike other parks I have visited the park was yours with very little traffic to disturb the natural beauty.
I will come back and bring other friends for sure when I will be missing my elephants too much ..
Nathalie J. from Paris

Room Tip: Rooms close to the lodge are just more convenient even though they all share the same view of the river
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends