“wunderbar”

Ranked #3 of 145 Restaurants in Amherst
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are located in a little plaza just south of Ellicott Creek Rd (next to the Classics V Banquet Center). Plenty of parking behind the plaza.
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This was my first experience with German cuisine....All i an say is wunderbar!!!
The staff was so friendly and polite they won me over.
I was very impressed with the owners coming over to the tables to talk with us customers.
I had the Sauerbraten...all i can say is o mein Gott!, melted in my mouth also being a beir man myself I love the German weissbeir choices..I give them 5 stars easy!!!
See you guys soon.
Tony

There are newer reviews for Black Forest Adler

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We visited at opening time a few weeks ago. The food was quite good. We had a broad selection and each was well prepared and tasty. The server had a good knowledge of the beer selection. Service in terms of promptness and special needs was excellent. We will return to try other items on the menu

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Mixed feelings on this review . When you think of Buffalo, you think wings and beef on a weck. I'd like to add 'good German food' to the list at the Black Forest Alders. If one does not mind the long wait to be served, it is definitely a great place to dine! The fact we waited almost an hour for the main entrée is disturbing. The restaurant does not have a bar area where one can wait and enjoy a few beers. We did go on a busy Friday night and the staff was working hard (kitchen cramped? cook slow?). No excuse for the long wait. My son had gone on a Thursday night and ran into a 'lack of staff' situation even thought there were empty tables. Ownership needs to figure out the issues and find the solutions! Please, as I am going ahead and rating a 4 ... until next time.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Speaking for myself and not my dinner partner... Salad: Excellent. Jaeger Schnitzel: Both pieces were dry, burnt, tasteless and I could not cut one of the two pieces with a knife. Spaetzle: Not fresh.. Potato Pancakes: Cold and probably because of the length of time they sat in the kitchen waiting for the waiter to bring them to the table. Waitstaff: Poor attitude and service up until the check was presented, I will assume the change from 'Bad Attitude Waiter' to 'Mr Nice Guy Waiter' at the end of dinner was because he is looking for a nice tip.
Upon entering Black Forest Adler we were approached by a staff member, I assumed her to be the hostess. The woman told us in a very harsh and nasty tone of voice to "Stay there until I clean a table!!!"
It took awhile to get the attention of our waiter to tell him of the sorry state of my Schnitzel and to have him bring our potato pancakes to the table. In a condescending manner I was told the Schnitzel "is supposed to be crispy". I stated that it was burnt, then pointed to the burned areas. He abruptly walked away then came back five minutes later with cold potato pancakes. About ten minutes later he returned and said he would replace the Schnitzel. Another ten minutes passed and he returned with a MUCH smaller piece of Schnitzel. That too was burnt, but more than the one he replaced.
Arrogant and disrespectful is all I can say about the waiter, the 'hostess' and shame on the kitchen staff and whoever trained them. We did have a laugh though about a menu item and it's description. The Paprika Schnitzel. "Traditionally served with French Fries". Since when were French Fries a part of "Authentic German Food"? In regard to some of the previous reviews I've read, I'm a bit shocked at the high ratings. I'm not being paid on the side to write a 'good' review nor am I an employee or related to anyone affiliated with this restaurant. I do though question the honesty and integrity of some of the previous reviewers. Here's a good way to get an honest review of this place: There are two benches at the entrance. Sit down, relax and politely ask some of the exiting customers how they enjoyed their meal. We asked and heard some brutally honest opinions regarding the quality of the food served at this restaurant... there were QUITE a few unhappy customers. Believe me, word of mouth from friends or relatives is the best way to find a good restaurant.

3  Thank Marge G
blackforestadler, Owner at Black Forest Adler, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Marge: Thank you for taking the time to express your views. Of course we apologize that you did not enjoy your meal. In any restaurant, if you are less than satisfied with your meal or service, please ask to speak to the owner or manager right away and give them the opportunity to improve your experience. Gerhard wishes for the "good old days" when people actually talked with each other rather hiding behind computer anonymity.
Our server indicated that when he delivered your second meal, you said it was "much better". Otherwise, per our policy, he would have offered to bring you something else, or would have removed the meal from your check.
Those who have been to Germany know that "pommes frites" are always served with schnitzel, but our customers are more than welcome to substitute other sides, including our spaetzle that are made fresh daily.
Marge, you imply that other reviewers have somehow been paid or are family members, which is grossly unfair and an insult to the honest people who use TripAdvisor. We find it quite interesting that after dining you would take the time to sit on our benches and solicit our customers...?
We do agree with your last statement, word of mouth IS the best advertising, which is how we have grown to have thousands of very satisfied customers. We will never be 100% perfect 100% of the time, but we strive to do our best every day.
Gerhard & Laura Braun, Owners

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Very good, authentic German food. My favorite is the wiener schnitzel. This is a small, casual place that is fine for families. They do seem to get crowded and there is much room to wait for a table, so I recommend going early if you can. I think this area could support more German ethnic restaurants, judging by the crowds this place draws! They are open limited hours (closed Mondays and Tuesdays) so you might want to check before you head out. It is worth trying?,

1  Thank Baw55
blackforestadler, Owner at Black Forest Adler, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant! We do pride ourselves in serving truly authentic German food, as Gerhard, a native German, was a chef in Germany for many years.
Just to clarify our hours, we are open Wednesday through Sunday from 4-9 p.m.
We appreciate our customers arriving by 8 p.m.
(We have a very full menu and everything is made from scratch. Gerhard has to start cooking by
9 a.m., so he appreciates being able to close by 9 p.m.)
Also, we do enjoy being busy, but very seldom do we have customers waiting for tables. Normally this happens only on Friday and Saturday nights during cold weather months, and the wait time is not very long. All tables are open for walk in, and reservations can be made for our few tables of 6.
We look forward to serving you again!