“Basic Accomodations - Rooms Need Updating”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This hotel had all the basic amenities that you would need in a hotel. Beds were comfortable and the room had a decent T.V. with a good channel lineup. The room although appeared clean it definitely needed an update as it was well used. The window in the room had moisture/condensation fog between the panes, so you couldn't see out. Shower/sink area was visibly worn with mold/mildew stains and caulking was peeling. The rooms had rather low ceilings which made the space feel smaller than it actually was.

The rest of the property also appeared very dated, with the exception of the check-in reception area. They had a quaint bar/restaurant and a Starbucks.

There is a pool but it was ice cold. Hot tub was undergoing repairs.

Noise from the hallways and adjoining rooms is easily heard. You can hear people talking in the hallways as well as doors slamming closed.

I have stayed at much better hotels for a lot less money in the Buffalo/Niagara area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Our hotel stay was wonderful. Great staff - Thank You Makayla and Bryanne - and so convenient. Great food in the restaurant and comfortable clean rooms. We had a bunch of folks with us and everyone was pleased. The shuttle even took us to our favorite Buffalo restaurant although there was good food choices within walking distance.....wings anyone (-: We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The hotel was very nice. Great bed. The service was excellent. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. Nearby Duff's serves the best wings ever. (Note: they're not called Buffalo wings in Buffalo.) Santoro's was excellent, as well.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

True to the title .. Home away from home .. Right from the time Mary Beth checks you into a very comfortable room .. Brandi and Holly keep the bar lively and spot on service ., Tom has an excellent crew and definitely stay again everytime I am back in the buffalo area ..

• Stayed: May 2013
TMolendaInnKeeper, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Hello Thydiamond,

Very nice review title, thank you. We are happy you were pleased with your stay and I always feel a sense of pride when I see team members being mentioned by name. This level of engagement tells me we are reaching the goals we set for our guests service levels.

Thank you for sharing.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

I had stayed at this property previously under another name, can't recall it, as it was a boutique hotel that seemed to be OK via online pictures. My experience was horrible as the room was small, very dirty(hair balls on floor, sills, etc), and the bathroom was literally open to the room. Very odd.
Upon arrival under the new Double Tree name, I hoped they would have made changes to clean up the property. I was extremely disappointed. They couldn't make the rooms larger, however they could implement a housekeeping strategy to clean the rooms. They did not. Please see the pics- filthy glasses that were never cleaned, hair on the bathroom floor, room floor, etc, bits and pieces of trash on the floor in the room(don't they have a vacuum?), dirty coffee maker and cups, trash under the bed, toothpick and wrappers on floor upon arrival.
My pet peeves is not having a clean hotel, old or new, updated or not, it must be clean. This property fails all cleaning standards. Will never stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Walter B,

I would like to apologize up front for what sounds like a horrific stay. I have had my executive housekeeping team looking into what could have happened here. Kindly telephone me at your earliest opportunity so I can discuss with you in greater detail. Our initital investigations are pointing to an "out of order" room which was accidently put back into circulation and should not have been, but I will need to confirm some information with you.

Again Walter, I apologize for the issues mentioned and i look forward to hearing from you soon.

716.689.0015
tmolenda@harthotels.com

Reviewed 30 April 2013

The lack of a small fridge and microwave was not very accommodating for a family with kids. Left us with no other choice than paying outrageous prices from the vending machines and café in the hotel. there were also only 2 small garbage bins in the room, 1 can and it was full. The room was extremely small for the price we paid for 1 night.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I was working an event at the university, and was very happy with this hotel. It is literally right across the street from the college, and just down the street from plenty of restaurants and shopping. The rooms were very nice, and I love having hardwood in a hotel room! It just seems more comfortable and much cleaner than carpet. The bathroom was very large with a lot of counter space. Breakfast seemed great. I have a gluten allergy, and they had very few options for me, but for other guests, they have everything you would ever want. The only downfall for me was the noise. The first night was quiet, but there was a sports team of some type staying on my floor the second night and they were SO loud until 4am. Obviously not the fault of the hotel, but still frustrating. Overall, I would definitely stay here if I were in the area again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Hi Mauionmymind08,

I'm guessing you had a nice trip to Maui based on your sign in name, good for you! Thank you for the nice review, and I hope you were able to utilize our complimentary shuttle services for your business with the University. I also agree with your opinion on the hard wood floors and thank you for sharing.

Safe Travels and we hope to see you again soon.