DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Ithaca, New York
“Pleasant”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Double Tree Amhurst was accommodation provided by SUNY-Buffalo for visiting scholars. It was close to campus, and i found the staff friendly and helpful, especially concerning best value for local transportation. The rooms are comfortable and attractive, and the lobby has good conversation units as well as immediate internet access.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

My corporate office is a stones throw from this hotel, therefore I stay here several times a year. I have always enjoyed my stays and have felt very welcome and comfortable. The staff has always been helpful and friendly. We have been asked to 'try out' several other hotels in the area but I always come back to this one.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The hotel had a bad experience with 2 other hockey teams prior to us and the hotel management staff where very unprofessional to us. They never took the time until the last night to tell us why they had such a problem with us. The manager told us how her staff kept her up until 2:00 am the night before with complains of beer pong and nerf gun shooting which our team never did!! If your a hockey or a team organization I would suggest highly not to stay at this Double Tree unless you feel like being followed around everywhere by there security team. Very Unprofessional

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

1 Thank Andrew C
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Having stayed here before when it was Indigo, a failed attempt at a boutique hotel, I was REALLY hoping that things changed. Well, some things did and most others did not. We booked through Priceline hoping that the 3.5 star request would get us a nice stay for a short family getaway and shopping. I realize and accept that we don't have the final say in the choice but this was by no means in the same class as, say, the Marriot next door.

Arriving at 9:30 at night, the staff were very polite and helpful, as they were during the entire stay. The complimentary cookies weren't ready but the hostess said to come back in 10 minutes. Came back and the hostess upon seeing me quickly handed us 4 cookies, much to my children's delight. The lounge/bar is also in the lobby and since it was packed when we arrived, it can get VERY loud. I'm big on the first impression when I walk into a hotel. Not quite what I was looking forward to. The staff at the Starbucks were also professional and quick with an order.

The hotel's colour scheme has changed from the bright yellows and blues to more neutral colours which is more appealing. But they still have the laminate flooring in the rooms. This makes for noisy rooms as you can hear the guest next door walk around. The walls were thin and don't get a room with an adjoining door, the neighbours washroom trips were easily heard. The room was comfortable and beds were great but the cleanliness of the room was not what we were expecting from a Hilton. Baseboards paint chips were all around the rooms edges and the room really needed a thorough dusting, lots of dust on top edges of pictures. We also had some popcorn from the previous guest left for us. The same issues we had in our previous stay.

We've stayed at 2 star Comfort Inns/Suites for less and were thoroughly satisfied. Comfort in even had a buffet breakfast included, it would have cost $50+ at this Hilton. The hotel amenities listed on Priceline says that there is complimentary cocktails and lobby coffee included, but on arrival they said it must have been the previous hotel chain's policy.

Other guests have rated this hotel very highly, but I don't see why. Maybe with the Hilton Rewards they get much better/bigger/cleaner rooms? I know they get free breakfast, as the posted menu in the café stated so. If I would have paid the $150+ USD rates and had this same experience, I would be livid. But since I paid much less on Priceline, the value is average.

Well, not somewhere we will recommend for what its supposed to be..

Room Tip: Don't get adjoining rooms if you don't need it. You can hear all the neighbours activities!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dean J
Yonkers, United States
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I work with a school in Tuscarora so I've visited a few times and the staff is kind, warm & welcoming not to mention willing to go above and beyond. This time the first room I was in had some issues (broken phone, toilet that didn't flush well and a stained vanity). The shower stall also seemed to have some mildew. The front desk apologized and switched me to the Hilton Honors floor and the stay was lovely from then on.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank Beverley M M
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

We were looking to have a special night out to celebrate my birthday, ao we splurged on this hotel; what an incredible disappointment. I truly wish that we had stayed at the Motel6 because at least there you know what you're getting. This DoubleTree was shabby, uncomfortable, and unbelievably loud. It was MUCH louder than my college dorm was; every sound from the hallway carried, and we could hear each word of conversations in the rooms from either side. Bed was uncomfortable, shower pressure light, room shabby, hair and dust all along the baseboards...again, had we been at Motel6 down the road and paying a hundred dollars less than we did, all of that is to be expected - "you get what you pay for," after all - but the fact that this is a Hilton property shocks me. It was really bad, and I truly wish that we had just stayed home. Avoid this place if at all possible.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cindy A
Scarborough
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Our hockey team stayed at your hotel Oct 31 to Nov3 for a local hockey tournament. Day time staff were great they showed the kids an isloated stairwell where they could play mini sticks and were very friendly. The night staff were very rude and unprofessional. As soon as they started they tolde the boys they could not play there. On both Friday and Saturday nights the hockey parents had gathered in a hallway outside rooms that we were booked in. Both times we were told to move to the lobby which we did. On the Friday night after the bar closed myself and 3 other parents were playing Euchre and one of the workers came up to us said we had been asked 3 times to move out of the area(we had not) and he very rudely said move and was supported by the Manager who witnessed this. We had been polite up to this point but matched their rudeness from that point on. The next evening the Hotel brought in contract security personnel (these gentlemen were the most professional of the night time hotel staff) they folowed the directions of the night time hotel staff but did so in a professional and poite manner. One of the ladies at the bar referred to our group as the ones on the 2nd floor and was extremely rude. I would suggest hiring the contract security personnel to train the hotel staff in proper customer relations.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends