DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Really alike the hardwood floors. Room was neat and clean. Bathroom was ok but not dirty.

Main complaint was that the cleaning staff tools some change I had left in the room. Seemed odd. Must have thought it was a tip but I usually don't tip until I check out.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Great experience, only two small glitches, both of which had nothing to do with Hilton Honors Group, but with the booking web-site. It has been my experience, as always, you can't go wrong with Hilton Hotels. This experience would have been perfect other than those two issues. My wife and I were so happy to receive the warm cookies, like coming home. Thanks!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Amherst DoubleTree is a very large, relatively new property jammed onto a tiny lot, surrounded by a number of other hotels of competing brands. As a matter of fact, the DoubleTree is located behind an equally large property and not even visible from the street. It is easy to miss if the small sign is overlooked.

The staff seemed to be a mixed bag. The two young women on the reception desk when we checked in were neither very helpful nor friendly. On the other hand, the older woman that I spoke to the following morning was very accommodating.

One very peculiar issue was the free breakfast chit that we were given at check-in. I looked at it the next morning and noticed that it specifically stated it was good for only one person and only for a continental breakfast. I asked at the desk and was informed that it was in fact good for two people and for almost everything on the breakfast menu including cooked-to-order items. The clerk just shrugged and said corporate couldn't be bothered reprinting the chits when they improved their free breakfast offer, presumably to match those from competing chains. I gathered that she was frequently asked about this by confused guests. How much would it have cost Hilton to print new chits with current information?

Lastly, the breakfast area is absolutely tiny, with very limited seating capacity. Given that the property itself is huge, I can well imagine that the breakfast area would be overwhelmed at peak traffic hours. Fortunately, we ate breakfast very late, so seating was readily available.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank foodbuffs
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I usually find most Hilton's excellent, but there were several things that were off-putting with my one night stay here which I decided on as a last minute option due to my late arrival in Buffalo and not wanting to drive the hour and a bit home after 1AM in the rain.

First of all, the good news is the room was absolutely immaculate, the hotel is in a quiet area and was easy to access from the highway and close to the airport. The room was large and bed and pillows comfortable.

These positives were unfortunately overshadowed by some minor but in combination irritating aspects of the stay. When checking in I had to wait a couple minutes because it was late and there was no staff at the front desk. I arrived after 1AM, but housekeeping was banging on my door at 8:40. Couldn't we use come common sense and say - hey if they're not getting to sleep until 2ish, are they likely to be one of the first rooms ready in the morning? Do those rooms last people. Also, despite my saying I would be a few minutes when knocking, housekeeping kept trying to open the door. Fortunately it was deadlocked. Lastly, they put me in the room nearest reception on the first floor. I doubt the hotel was full, so why would they need to do that? I should have shown my Hilton Gold card when checking in, but I was doing a last minute opaque buy so don't get points for that so there was no point. It was very loud in the morning as a result because people are inconsiderate and yell a lot.

Also, the décor in the room was, well, odd. The floors were laminate and tile, not carpet, and the walls were a bright blue (royal blue). I felt like I was staying in a 1980's seaside resort or Blackpool England. I don't care to stay in hotels with "character" myself. Others may find this splash of colour (color) refreshing though.

All in all I'll be hoping for the Mariott down the street again (I stayed there a few years ago on my way home) if I have to do an opaque booking again.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the lobby.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank AdamC668
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Doubletree should be proud......great customer service staff goes out of there way to accommodate we booked through Hotwire front dest switched our room for king to 2 queens.
Clean room with wood and tile floors clean hotel pool area very well kept with plenty of towels
Great location.....overall awesome.........

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Had TV problems which they took forever to get fixed. Our vacation schedule was dependent upon the weather reports and could not see them due to the TV issues. I used my Hilton points for this hotel and wasted them. Our room was not ready upon check in after 3 PM. though the place was very quiet and clean the service was questionable. They should have offered another room right away not at 10:00 at night.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The check-in was very pleasant and the restaurant/lobby bar is good or above average. The rest of the hotel...not so much. The rooms are small and have hardwood instead of carpet which just doesn't seem right in a hotel. The bathrooms are dated and no too clean. In fact the whole hotel is quite dirty. The halls didn't seem to have been vacuumed lately at least while swimming we found a black latex glove floating in the pool...NASTY.