“Great value for reasonable price, close to UB North”

Red Roof PLUS+ University at Buffalo Amherst
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Hartsdale, New York
“Great value for reasonable price, close to UB North”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have stayed at this Red Roof Inn many times while visiting our children at UB. The rooms have always been clean and functional, now many of them have been upgraded in the past year to include flatscreen TVs and some with king size beds. If you are visiting students at UB North campus the location can't be beat. Not luxury by any means, but certainly great value for the money and always spotlessly clean.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank bdparty
RRI104, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ University at Buffalo Amherst, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review about your stay. We appreciate you mentioning our great value and our great location next to the University at Buffalo. Our rooms do come with free wifi, flat screen HDTV's, and new flooring and mattresses. Thanks again for staying with us we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Temple, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My family stayed at this hotel for 8 days in July 2014. We had a very good rate. The service was not what we expected and relayed our concerns to the on site manager, nothing was done. After returning home, I completed the survey sent by Red Roof and was contacted by the general manager. He refunded 2 nights and was very sorry for not handling the situation on the spot.

Room Tip: This hotel automatically adds $1.50 per night charge for the safe. You have to request it to be rem...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
RRI104, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ University at Buffalo Amherst, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. I want to start off by saying again sorry for the delayed response in handling your concerns. I am glad that we were able to talk and come to an acceptable resloution. I appreciate your family staying with us during the junior bowling tournament. The entire group was a pleasure to have with us and we hope to see you again soon. Once again thank you for staying with us.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Early check-in was allowed by friendly front desk manager. Comfortable beds. Tiny bathroom. My only complaint is that the laminated flooring desperately needed washing. White sox turned black quickly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing our hotel and taking the time to write a review about your stay. We are so glad that we were able to accomodate your request for an early check-in. Our staff is always trying their best to fulfill any guest request that we can. I will make sure to share your comments about the flooring with my staff so that we can resolve the issue quickly. Once again thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again real soon.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We couldn't find a hotel room at any of the other hotels we normally stay at. We ended up getting a room at Red Roof Plus on the University of Buffalo Campus, Amherst, NY. There are 2 buildings and we were in the far one. We had a ground floor room so were able to park right in front of our room instead of lugging things up the stairs (no elevators). Our room was very clean, neat, hardwood floors, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board. A big flatscreen TV. Beds were comfortable and clean. 3 good pillows on each of the two queen beds.Towels appeared to be almost new. Hotel was very quiet. Shopping on Transit Road (Kohl's, Steinmart, Bon-Ton and Super Wal-Mart) , shopping on Niagara Falls Boulevard (Boulevard Mall, Christmas Tree Shops, and another Kohl's) and shopping at the Walden Galleria Mall were all within 8-10 kms from the Hotel. Very convenient if you have a car.
The only complaint was that the hotel room rates were put up very high just because it was a Canadian holiday weekend.

Room Tip: Room 147 was just fine.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for choosing our hotel and writing a review about your experience. We appreciate you mentioning our clean rooms and our great location. We are glad that we were able to accomodate you when the area was so busy. I hope that your first stay with us will help you become a loyal Red Roof Plus+ guest. I do believe that our rates are very competitive for our area and we do our best to provide our guests with the best possible value when they stay with us. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We had booked a standard room but when we arrived around 9pm, we found the toilet used (and not flushed) mysterious stains on the underskirt, blood stained sheets on the beds and unwashed pillow cases! We spoke to the front desk and they moved us to another room (for one night only) saying that they didn't have anyone to clean the room and it'd be done first thing in the morning & they'd let the auditor know. Come 9am, we went to the front desk and found out none of that had been done, no one had been alerted (even the morning staff) and they had re-rented the room! Fortunately Lisa at the front desk saved the day! We had wanted a refund or a different room and she managed to find a room for the last two nights of our stay (which the previous night's staff had said was impossible) and even gave us an upgrade (which again, was impossible when we asked about the cost)! She really came through and our next room was clean, comfortable, and perfect for the short stay. Wifi worked well enough and the TV was great (and seemingly bigger than in the other two rooms). Water pressure in the upgraded room was amazing - a great sized shower.
I'm obviously hesitant to stay at another Red Roof Inn after this, where I'd previously been staying at when in smaller towns. Lisa was AMAZING and so helpful and actually followed through. We will be alerting corporate about this so hopefully the issues will be fixed, but also giving commendations to Lisa - she saved our trip!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank tellemarie
Thank you for staying with us and writing about your stay. I want to say that I am very sorry about how your stay started out. That is not the way we operate and I am very sorry about the issues you encountered. I am however very glad that Lisa was able to accomodate you and take care of the situation in a satisfactory way. Lisa is a valuable member of our team. I will make sure to share your review with her so that she is reminded she is doing a great job. Thank you again and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just back from a 2-night "stay-cation" in upstate NY. While the hotel is older, the rooms have been upgraded and very surprised. Nice clean laminate flooring, mini-fridge, microwave, iron board, iron, safe(see note). Crisp white linens and LOTS of pillows. You can't compare the size of the room to a luxury hotel but for what we needed it was purr-fect! Staff was very helpful. Ice machine close by the room - easy to get on/off I-290 - and LOTS of restaurants and shopping within a 2-3 mile radius. Lots of good shopping near by (Macy's, Sears, etc.) - I certainly would stay again on these mini-vacations. I don't see a need of paying a couple hundred dollars for a room when you're not staying in it.

(Note: Safe in the room. Our room had a safe, but I believe the battery was dead so it wasn't working - really didn't need it myself - but I was surprised to see it as an "add-on" of $1.50 per day plus taxes. All other hotels I've stayed where had safes there has never been a charge for this - but when checking out, I mentioned about the safe and the charges were reversed with no problem at all... very nice!) So my only "concern" is that I did not see anywhere on the website or on my reservation that there was a charge for the safe - even if not used. That's not nice.

Room Tip: Try to get a ground room - this way you don't have to carry your luggage up a flight of stairs t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review about your stay. Thank you for mentioning our clean and renovated rooms and our friendly staff. We are in a great location as you mentioned close to malls, restaurants, and the Univeristy at Buffalo. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the area.
Hartford
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Disappointed when we found last guests' stuff still under beds. Wondering what else hadn't been clean. Woke up to load my luggage into car only to see a man outside the door sleeping in his car. What kind of place is this??!?

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank AmyDfromCT
RRI104, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ University at Buffalo Amherst, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review about your stay. Let me say I am very sorry for the issues you encountered durig your stay with us. In no way is this the norm at our hotel. There is no excuse for the items left under your bed. I will make sure to share your review with my staff like I do with all reviews. My staff and I will learn from this and work to ensure it does not occur again in the future. I do hope that next time you are in the area you give us the chance to provide you with a clean and comfortable room that our guests have come to expect at Red Roof Plus in Amherst. Thank you again for staying with us.