“Privacy sign on door means do not enter”

Buffalo Marriott Niagara
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We used Price Line and got our room for $70 the first night (Sat) and $60 the next night.
Parking is free and the lighting in the parking lot is great. The room was very clean and the beds were perfect. However the noise from the hallway is very much present inside the rooms. I suggest bringing earplugs but I always travel with them. There is a green light that flashes very brightly from the fire detector. It woke us both up many times the first night . I was very happy with the hotel until the morning of checkout.
I had the privacy sign on our door handle and had brought some of our stuff to our car, checkout is at 12pm and it was around 9am. We had not checked out yet and when I came back to our room the door was open and the cleaning staff was in the room across the hall. This is unacceptable and I waited at the front desk to talk to the hotel manager. He stated that he would talk to the cleaning staff. I felt that my complaint on the issue didn't carry much weight due to the questions I was being asked.
Did she see you guys leave together? Was anything missing from the room?
the the excuses came....
A lot of people checkout with the privacy sign on the door! She would have thought that you were checking out! and so on .
DOESN'T MATTER what lip service you give to a frustrated customer when the issue is unacceptable.
A brush off apology is not what I expect from a Marriot Hotel.
As a salon owner for the past 15 yrs I know that sometimes not everything goes perfect, but I have never not taken full ownership for an issue. I have never shrugged my shoulders and allowed my customer to leave frustrated.
I dont care what other customers do with their signs or what the cleaning staff thought.
The simple fact is MY door was opened and MY privacy was violated and I would not stay at this hotel again due to that.
Privacy sign means do not open!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
40  Thank Kitchenertravelers
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

Thank you for the feedback reagrding your stay and the posive comments for the comfort of the guest rooms.

The smoke detector lights in most full service hotels are directly hard wired into the fire systems and the light will blink periodically to show that the system is working. I also apologize for the confusion over the entering of a scheduled employee into a guest room on the day of checkout. Unfortunately guests will sometimes leave the signs by accident or a sign will be placed in the wrong door by mistake. A housekeeper will see a guest leave with their luggage and then verify the room occupancy by a physical check which was done in this instance.

There are newer reviews for Buffalo Marriott Niagara

Reviewed 2 May 2011

Used Hotwire for the first time and got the room for $84 canadian with taxes..no way I could ever complain with those rates. I had heard I may get one of the "worst rooms" for booking with hotwire when in fact I got a king room on the 5th floor. Nice rooms, nice TV, pool area and lobby. The fitness room looked fantastic (but we were busy shopping). Lounge chair and ottoman in the room and computer hook up. Pillows were feather and very flat which caused a sore neck but next time I would bring my pillow. We would have used the pillow shams instead but got turned off when we saw a bloodstain on one of the sham covers. Bathrooms nice (a bit on the small side) so 2 people could not get ready in there. Breakfast buffet would have been $12.95 and we heard it was good, but we ate on the road. Close to shopping and restuarants and free parking is good too. My only issue was the bottom of the door in the hotel room. It did not block out sound at the bottom, they need weather stripping or something, you can actually see people walking by at the bottom of your door. It would alleviate so much noise from the hall. But a great stay and I would not hesitate to return. Boulevard Mall is a 2 minute drive away and restuarants are very close as well eg. Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Ihop, Boston Market etc. Also a Tops is very close if you need anything for your room etc.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mamaof2monkeez
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide the positive feedback regarding your stay. Have a great day.

Reviewed 1 May 2011

I booked this hotel via Priceline and stayed one night. We enjoyed our stay. We ate at the hotel restaurant because the prices were reasonable and my husband is hooked on Beef on a Weck, which they had. When we were sat at the table we were a bit concerned because there were only people at two other tables. We were very pleasantly surprised with the friendly service and the quality of the food. Don't let the looks fool you, this restaurant serves up pretty decent fare.

My husband and I also used the gym while we were there, which had top of the line equipment--plenty of treadmills and ellipticals as well as a few bikes and weight machines. The gym was above normal quality for the hotel type and we were again pleasantly surprised. The pool attached to the gym was small but had a nice seating area.

The room was pretty standard but comfortable. We had 2 beds on the 4th floor. We only heard people when they walked by the room. We didn't hear anything once they were inside their own rooms.

Wifi was $9.99 but it was nice and fast. Parking was plentiful and free.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julie S

Thank you for taking the time to provide the positve feedback regarding your stay. Have a great day.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

This is my second time staying in this hotel! Stayed two nights during Easter Weekend with family and kids. Once again, excellent hotel with great service. This time, I noticed new up-to-date exercise equipments in the Fitness Center. Excellent location. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Our 2nd time at this hotel... always a pleasant experience!

Price - booked it on Priceline for $65 US a night (with a $10 coupon).

Athletics - Big gym with multiple bikes/treadmills, iPod friendly machines, tonnes of free weights, cable machines and big screen TV. Free indoor/outdoor combo pool is great. Towels and change rooms are close by, and the feeling is generally family friendly as well.

Service - They inititally put us on the 1st floor, but were quick to move us to a higher floor upon request. The shuttle dropped us off (with flexibility on the time) and picked us up from the airport (after a 25 minute wait, so call as soon as you land).

Food - Good $12 breakfast buffet (toddlers are free).

Amenities - free WiFi in the main lobby ($10 in your room). Flatscreen TV. Average bed comfort. Hallway decor is a bit dated, but still acceptable. Rooms are reasonably sized, with minimal to no outside noise, surprising considering the highways outside and the parties going on in the banquet rooms downstairs. Checkin first, and then park at the other hotel entrance, closer to the rooms.

Location - 15-20 minutes to the border.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Bukwaas

Thank you for taking the time to provide all the positive feedback regarding your stay. Have a great day.

Reviewed 4 April 2011

I know this is a review of the hotel itself but I have to first say something about the restaurant breakfast buffet! Jeannie, the omelet chef was absolutely amazing! I love her. She not only is friendly and personable but she can make a MEAN omelet. I wanted turkey (which was not one of the choices) and she said no problem, and got some fresh turkey from the kitchen for my omelet. Yummy!
The entire hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. I was in the elevator with someone from the hotel (manager I think) and he asked how my stay was, etc.
When we checked in, we asked for 2 beds and unfortunately they only had rooms with 1 king. They stated they could send a rollaway bed up at no charge. We thought it would be one of those icky folding ones with the springs popping through. We were pleasantly surprised that it was more of a single bed that rolled in without folding. I have to say it was pretty comfy. :)

We were in town for a hockey tournament and the rest of our team was staying at another hotel. We were VERY happy to stay at the Marriot as it was MUCH nicer for a better rate even. Thank you so much!

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2011

Thank you for providing your positive feedback regarding the hotel. We are very fortunate to have so many great staff members and I'm glad you had the opportunity to experience one of them first hand. Have a great day.

Reviewed 28 March 2011

I recently stayed in the Buffalo Marriott. I do travel a lot but am more of a mid-tier hotel kinda guy. But...I got a great rate on Hotwire so Marriott it was.

Let me first say that if you are driving, the location is excellent. It's clearly visible from the highway and is 10 min from most items of interest in the area including the mall, the airport, downtown, the colleges...you name it. Niagara Falls and Rich Stadium might be 20 mins or so. it is clustered in a little "hotel city" that include a Red Roof, a new Candlewood Suites, an Indigo Hotel (which I LOVE) and a Comfort. A Homewood suites is nearby.

The hotel itself is the typical hotel "box". You know...long thin tower central hallway with rooms on either side. What makes this full-service is the extended one floor entryway that houses the lobby, front desk,bar/restaurant, the meeting rooms, the hotel store, a rather nice looking indoor/outdoor hotel pool, and an anemic looking workout facility. There is also a courtyard that looks like it would be nice in Buffalo's summer month.

From the color swatches it looks like they will be redoing the lobby soon so ask about construction when booking.

My room was a double which was typical hotel room but nicely appointed in dark woods and black granite. It was very clean albeit kind of small. Because I had an odd numbered room, the view out my window overlooked the RedRoof next door (hint,hint). Beds were nicely done with totally washable linens (soooo happy those nasty bedspreads are a thing of the past). There was a very large looking flatscreen. There was also an iron and board in closet.

As I mentioned, although I travel, I prefer mid- level hotels, mostly because of the amenities they provide. I don't need a pool (my speedo days are long loooong gone unfortunately) and I prefer free internet to room service any day. In fact, that's kind of a pet peave of mine. How can places like Red Roof charge half the price but give GREAT wireless connections for free with excellent speed and incredible range ( see hint above). This Marriott appeared to charge for an Internet/long distance/local phone deal. Cell phones work fine here so you are actually just paying for the internet - again a questionable business practice in this day and age.

I declined the Internet as it turned out I didn't need it (third and final hint) and thoroughly enjoyed my short stay. The shower was gentle warm and nice. Checkout was a breeze. E overall atmosphere of the hotel is less formal which I prefer. All in all, you will find an unimaginative yet exceeding comfortable space. Ok for the business traveller. Great for those with kids. So if you HAVE to visit buffalo you can do worse.

Pet peaves:
The pet peaves list is small
1). Unimaginative space. Typical hotel box. Nicely redone tho.
2). Curbs at main entrance are all painted red with huge FIRE LANE signs everywhere. Having gotten a $300 ticket once I am now always leery. The only place where apparently you CAN park was completely taken up by the two airport shuttle vans that were just sitting there. Seems like an awful large inconvenience to put guests through at a full service hotel just to save your van drivers a few extra steps,
3). It seems to be the new "trick" these days for housekeeping to point the shower head directly at the place the guests will be standing when adjusting the shower temp. Then, once you pull up on the diverter you get soaked or, alternatively, if you don't notice and walk away, could easily prompt a large water cleanup charge. They didn't get me this time but could have.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2011

Thank you for the positve feedback regarding your stay at the Buffalo Marriott. Thanks and have great day.