“In a word, gross”

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Ann Arbor
“In a word, gross”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

This place is cheap and you certainly get what you pay for. We planned on staying 2 nights while visiting Niagara Falls. Check in was fine, the guy behind the counter was very nice. But then there was our room. First off, we requested non-smoking and ended up with a smoking room. Secondly, after 5 minutes in the room we had discovered 4 bugs- 3 pill bugs and a spider. Now I'm not one to freak over an insect, but it was off-putting to say the least. And things only got worse from there. The sofa in the room was stained, we found what appeared to be dog hairs in the fridge, and the room overall was dated and dingy. If the slummy appearance weren't bad enough, not long after our arrival a group of music blaring, beer swigging guys with rooms flanking ours set about having a party. I will give this place (or at least the gentleman behind the counter) credit for promptly moving our room after I requested a switch in light of the raucous neighbors. He was very kind and accommodating and the second room was quieter and slightly cleaner, but the great customer service was not nearly enough to redeem this place in my mind. We cut our trip short and left the next morning. Do yourself a favor and don't scrimp by coming here!

1 Thank April R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel for business purposes based on some of the prior reviews. Although not the road warrior I used to be, I stay approximately 30 - 40 nights a year in hotels for business. Let me just say that at 1AM in the morning of the first night, I was online booking another room at a different hotel. Never again. To say you get what you pay for is an understatement in this case. I am not in the habit of sleeping with my clothes on, but I thought it best if I should. I didn't trust anything was clean in the room. Checking out was the highlight of the stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Anniston, Alabama
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Based on other reviews, I booked this hotel thinking it would be ok. It is an older hotel, looks to be recently renovated. Check in was fine and friendly. The rooms were quite big, and the room appeared to be clean. However, my problem arose when shortly after check in when neighboring men were looking into my room (had not closed curtains yet) and started partying and drinking outside my room. Being with my children, I felt that this was not safe and this place was not the one for me. I called the front desk and luckily the manager decided to let me check out and gave me a full refund. Great customer service! Although I did not stay here, his generosity did not go unnoticed. This hotel may be fine other times, but the local road construction workers had apparently taken over at this time.

Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2012

When searching for a hotel for our Buffalo shopping trip I was a little put off by the ridiculously high rates. I found this place on Trip advisor and the reviews were pretty good, the rates were good..330.00 tax incl for two nights in a jacuzzi suite for a Friday & Saturday night in August!!. When we arrived I noted that from the outside this looked like the usual drive up motel, once we entered our room; I was pleasantly surprized at how big it was. There was a huge king sized bed that was very comfy, a corner jacuzzi that worked great, a dining table with 2 chairs, kitchen area with sink, microwave and fridge, full washroom...we were quite comfortable there.The free breakfast was well put together with eggs, sausage, bagels, toast, pastries, cereal and the coolest make your own waffle machine, coffee, tea, milk, juices..Now, this is an older hotel and it shows..so if you are looking for a modern type all shiny and new; stay elsewhere. But if you want a decent place that offers good value for your dollar, friendly service and a good location..stay here!! Nick at the front desk is very friendly and helpful...there is also a vending area, laundry facilities (we didn't use them but it's a great convienience for those staying longer) There is a Bob Evans restaurant next door..next time we will check it out as the parking lot was always full so I'm assuming that it must be good! There's a gas station across the street, restaurants, shops and Boulevard Mall are only minutes away. Will stay here again when in the area!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kim n
Ohio
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Staff were very attentive and quick to respond to requests. Good breakfast included. Nice to have microwave and refrigerator as well as kitchen cabinet for food storage. Rooms were large and clean. This hotel has obviously been renovated and is still in process, but for the money, the room was a good deal.

3 Thank Laura A
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Kind of run down Norman Bates feel here. Rooms average at best-- service average at best -- building weird and a little freaky. Not my best stay. Look forward to many more reviews about my travels. Hope this helps.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank PanthersGuyFlorida
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Renovations and sincere guest service created a positive high five abode. Nick,a General Manager was very helpful addressing routine concerns.The house keeping was efficient but do not expect extra soap shampoo or coffee. The services provided justify the economical model. Thank you.

Room Tip: Book thru the Manager for the best value .