“As close to perfection as it gets!”

Movenpick Resort & Spa Tala Bay Aqaba
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Aqaba
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I recently returned from the best vacation ever, thanks in large part to the warm and professional staff of the Mövenpick Tala Bay! The hotel itself is simply beautiful, with gorgeous sea views and a nice variety of places to eat, drink, be active or just relax. But by far the best aspect of this resort is its warm, friendly and professional staff. In the bars, pool areas, beach area and restaurants, the charming international staff is always available, ready to help in any way they can, while also making you feel comfortable and at home.

The breakfast buffet was enormous, with both yummy and healthy choices. But the best part of the morning, without a doubt, was the way we were so warmly greeted by the restaurant staff. They were always busy seating people, serving coffee and clearing tables, yet they never missed an opportunity to brighten our day with a smile and ask how we were doing. Morning coffee back in Norway just isn’t the same without Saleh, Railynn and Jocelyn, among others!

The pools were kept impeccably clean, and there was always a friendly lifeguard ready to lend a hand or offer a warm greeting. There was a wonderful variety of places to swim, naturally including the lovely Red Sea. We could even take a swimming tour under bridges through canals through a network of pools, stopping midway to take a quick ride down the slide, or hop into a warm jacuzzi. One of the nicest aspects of this hotel for us was the fact that we could choose to be with other guests or off by ourselves – there was plenty of space and choices.

The bar/lounge entertainment was excellent, but it was the delightful bar staff who made each evening extra special at Tala Bay, for sure. Donna, Rebecca, Lilian, Mohammed, Caroline and many others made sure that we felt welcome, well-cared for and just plain special, each and every evening!

Mahmoud, at the bell desk, shared good advice and enthusiasm for his country, all wrapped up in a delightful charm that we soon discovered was typical of the wonderful Jordanian people. Hilda took care of our room with equal warmth and enthusiasm, and even saved the day by “rescuing” a misplaced passport!

It was our 10th anniversary, and this trip was meant to be the honeymoon we never had … the staff of the Mövenpick Tala Bay more than took care of that hope, providing us with the most enjoyable and unforgettable vacation we could possibly imagine!

Shukran k’teer – thank you so very much – to all of you! We hope to see you again before too long…

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaurenSO_27
HubertKlemenz, General Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Tala Bay Aqaba, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2011

First of all we wish to congratulate you to your 10th anniversary. We do appreciate that you have taken the time to write such a wonderful review about your recent experience at our resort. Thank you very much indeed for the positive comments on our property and in particular your kind words about our employees. Your compliments are much appreciated and they will be passed on to our associates and it will encourage them to keep up their good work. We hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Hi stayed at this hotel in the summer it was fantastic/ room/ service/ and the people...the buffet breakfast was amazing and so was the lunches so much choice.
could not fault this hotel at all i would definatley stay here again..and their is a free shuttle bus into aqaba town which is a bout 20 mins away..

philip
Tana Travel Stratford upon Avon, warwickshire UK

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank TanaTravel_9
HubertKlemenz, General Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Tala Bay Aqaba, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Your positive write-up is much appreciated and we are happy that you have enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time sharing your experience and we are looking forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Let me preface this review by saying that I've stayed at several Movenpick hotels in the Middle East including locations in Petra and on the Dead Sea in Jordan. In terms of the hotel layout, grounds, and amenities, this hotel is up to the Movenpick standard. That is to say...it is clean, beautiful, and worthy of a visit. However, several service related issues prevented me from truly enjoying my stay here. Maybe its because I visited during the off-season but here are a few of the service I experienced.

-- Check in: I was traveling from Amman, Jordan and wanted a warm place to take my daughter swimming for the weekend. I called the hotel to ask about the temperature there before I booked (I've found that weather forecasts in Jordan, particularly for places like the Dead Sea are unreliable). I was told that it was 26 degrees centigrade and that it was warm enough to swim. When I arrived I was disappointed to find that it was 21 degrees at best and certainly not warm to swim comfortably. When I mentioned this to the young man working the front desk he laughed and said I must have spoken to their promotions department. Wow...he scored big points for empathy! To make matters worse, check-in was inexplicably time-consuming and complicated and the front-desk did not respect the queue and began helping others who came to the desk before finishing with me. Really frustrating after a long four hour drive (esp. since I prepaid for a Deluxe Family Suite via Expedia). I was so exasperated, I left my credit card with them and said I would retrieve it when they were done.

Pools: The hotel has roughly four or five beautiful swimming pools. Sadly they only heated one (a small pool near the lobby). I'm not sure whether this was to save cost or whether its a structural issue but my daughter was dying to check out the cool looking slide in one of their pools but sadly the water temperature was frigid and I didn't want her to catch cold. Obviously this won't be an issue during the summer months but it really but a crimp on our short stay. I asked management about this and they said there was nothing they could do.

Staff: We met several friendly people who worked at the hotel but many of the staff acted more like rules enforcement than guest services. For example, my daughter and I were asked to leave an empty jacuzzi because policy stated it was reserved for people 16 and up. I respect policy but the place was empty and all the pools were cold...did they really have to ask us to get out?? Another example of overzealous rules enforcement was when I witnessed a Muslim woman asked to get out of the children's pool because she wasn't wearing swimwear! I was shocked. She was playing with her son and they were the only people in the pool! When I asked the attendant why she had to get out (I felt bad for the little boy), the woman said she realized it was a little ridiculous but didn't have the authority to let her stay in the pool (in fact she said she could lose her job)! In my travels good hotels/resorts give staff the leeway to use common sense and judgement in order not to sacrifice the guest experience to enforce hotel policy.

Phones: I could never reach the front desk or the almost non-existent concierge when I phoned from my car or even from my room. Each time I had to walk down to the lobby to find front desk staff horsing around (they were hardly swamped but couldn't bother to pick up the phone!)

Services: virtually no concierge (we used the one at the Doubletree instead!), much of the spa was not open to the public (even though the front desk took the time to tempt me by describing it to me! Either he didn't know it was closed or was sticking too close to his check in script!), and you can't charge items in the small lobby stores to the room (I had to go back to my room to get cash to buy chapstick and gum)!

Checkout: had a similarly frustrating experience as check-in. I just left and asked that the hotel run my credit card and email my the receipt and itemized bill (which they did).

I know these are nitpicks and I bet you service is better when the hotel is more full but I paid a decent amount of money for my stay and left pretty disappointed. I felt like I would have been much better off staying somewhere else. Luckily, we still managed to have a fun stay in Aqaba but it could have been alot better.

Lastly, I shared much of this feedback with the hotel management and they were very attentive and understanding. No issues there. They sent us a fruit plate for our troubles. All in all though, I'd definitely recommend staying somewhere else during the off-season months.

13  Thank IntheAirOutThere

Thank you for the feedback on our property and your constructive comments are much appreciated. We noticed that you were not entirely satisfied with the service you received and that not all swimming pools were heated. While this is of course regrettable, we appreciate you bringing it to our attention in order to further improve on this. Please accept our sincere apologizes for any inconvenience. We are looking forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Superb hotel . Fantastc service , Beautifull garden, The beach is rather bad, you need bathing shoes

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Apollo
Dan B, General Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Tala Bay Aqaba, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2016

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for your review we hope to welcome you again after such a long time.
Best regards,

Movenpick Resort & Spa Tala Bay Aqaba team

Reviewed 24 November 2011

My family of 5 (3 kids under 10) enjoyed our stay here in November. We got the family suite, which was a perfect fit! It was warm enough to swim, but most comfortably in their heated pool (only 1 is heated out of the 5? on the property). Breakfast was included in the rate, and it was wonderful. The dinner buffet was excellent as well, but after the 3rd night we were looking for something new. Kids under 5 eat free at the buffet, be be warned that the buffet does not include any drinks/tea/coffee. I agree with some of the reviewers that the internet should be free. But on the other hand, they do offer free water, soda, and juice in the room.

Overall, the rooms were clean, the staff was friendly, and the kiddos had fun! :)

2  Thank travelW3kids
HubertKlemenz, General Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Tala Bay Aqaba, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

Many thanks for your constructive comments and your compliments about your stay and the buffet food quality are much appreciated. Kindly note that we are currently heating one pool on the North Wing side, plus the children’s pool and three outdoor Jacuzzis. We are looking forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 November 2011

Stayed here for 10 nights in July 2011. Travelling with a 2 yr old and a 12 yr old I was nervous about the summer heat, but with the cooling sea breeze, AC & mist sprayers, even the 40+ degrees was manageable.

The hotel rooms were superb and we were fortunate enough to have a suite with three adjoing rooms, giving our sons one bedroom, us another and a living room in between.

Food was of better quality than expected. We found room service to be a great option for lunch with the kids - very little extra cost for comfort of eating on the patio. The pool restaurant was also good for lunch.

On the whole, the staff were superb. Ely, our lovely room service waiter, treated us like royalty & the guys at the towel place & bar were amazing with the kids.

The diving school was good; our eldest did his PADi qualifiactation and we thought they were very thorough. We did most of our diving at the house reef, which had plenty to see and was really pleasant, easy diving.

We used the kids club a lot and I have to say, I think it is the best kids club I have ever come across - lots of new equipment, indoor and shaded outdoor toys, plus the shaded kids pool. The staff were friendly and our 2 yr old was very happy there. We also used the staff for babysitting in our rooms a couple of times.

The spa was beautiful and massages were excellent.

I'm sure there's more, but I expect you get the gist by now - we loved this holel and would highly recommend to all, particularly families with kids.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms down near the dive centre - even as non-divers, these are closest to beach and pools
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

We do appreciate that you have taken the time to write this wonderful review about your stay in July. Thank you very much indeed for the positive comments on our property and in particular your kind words about our employees. We hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Our little group of two adults and a two year old spent has just spent one week at the Mövenpick Tala Bay. The location of the hotel is straight on the beach 20 km from Aqaba, and 5 minutes’ walk from Tala Bay. Here you’ll find stores, a couple of restaurants and a small food store.

The hotel is great. It has a fantastic variety of swimming pools and the restaurants offer very good food (check out picture of dessert buffet). We chose to only have breakfast included, and do not regret this. The prices we paid on lunch and dinner were reasonable. Lunch was around 40 JD’s and dinner around 70. If you have kids, we highly recommend the Kids Club. This contains an outdoor heated pool and indoor and outdoor playground. And the staff is amazing. Actually the whole hotel staff is amazing. And they all speak English.

We had a family room so that our son could sleep in a separate room. The rooms are spacious and have a complimentary minibar with soft drinks and water that is being refilled every day. This is one of many nice details.

All the Jordanians we met were extremely warm and hospitable. We would however like to recommend our guide for Little Petra (more practical with a stroller than Petra) and Wadi Rum, Mr Ali Rasheida (hamido_mono@yahoo.com). He is knowledgeable (both about the ancient and the present), friendly, fluent in English and has a spacious car with baby seat.

Enjoy your trip!

1  Thank OleHe

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for your review we hope to welcome you again after such a long time.
Best regards,