“Not again!”
Review of Mina Hotel

Mina Hotel
Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in Aqaba
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I chose this hotel based on reviews I read on-line. This hotel is being "refurbished", so be very careful to view the actual room that you will be staying in. At the time of our stay, the rooms were listed on-line for $45, the reviews suggested paying the additional $10 to upgrade to "deluxe" For a total of $55. When my husband went into the hotel, he was told 55 JDS, but they reduced the price to 50 JDS, with breakfast (breakfast is a typical amenity and it was already listed as inclusive). When I requested a room on the 6th or 7th floor, as suggested in another review, I was told that we could not have one of those rooms at the price we were paying (we were paying in JDS rather than Dollars, already paying just under one and a half times the list price!) . We were assigned a room on the fifth floor, furniture was very worn, but we had three double beds with crisp white sheets, good enough for me after a long day in Petra.

The power for the room had been off, so we figured it would take a little while for the room to cool off. The room never cooled down, they sent someone to check, suggesting we give it more time. After around 11pm,we requested another room and were obliged. Now sent to the fourth floor, the a/c was nice and cold, but this room obviously had been setting for a very long time, the sheets were thread-bare and dinghy gray, disgusting carpet and broken furniture. The bathroom was abysmal, luckily my husband and children had already showered in the previous room.

I decided that I was not going to settle for this, they had presented as though they were giving us a deal, though they had actually charged us considerably more. I went to the front desk and spoke with the manager. I politely told him that I chose this hotel based on reviews and that he needed to be aware that I would be posting my own review. He quickly responded, by "upgrading" us to the 6th floor.

Once there, the room was very nicely decorated, obviously very recently refurbished. But, guess what?! The a/c didn't work! By this point we were exhausted and feeling like royal pains, so we tried to make the best of it (and afraid of what we might end up with if we moved again). My husband ended up sleeping on the floor in front of the vent, to make it bearable. Next day, we requested several times for the A/C to be checked, to no avail. We opted to leave our room key in the sensor that supplied the power to the room, so the air could run continually. The front desk would then send someone to open the room for each re-entry, since we only had the one key. Eventually, when the same evening manager came on duty, he had the foresight to provide us with an additional key!

Good things that I have to say: 1). It really is a great location. 2) I was impressed with the breakfast buffet presentation and the professionalism of the staff in the dining room 3). There is potential for this hotel.

My husband is originally from this country and fellow countrymen are typically not as accommodating to him as they are to me (being a visitor). I think the issue of the price and original room assignment would not have occurred if I had been the one to originally go into the hotel to get a room. Definitely recommend booking on-line. For my next visit, I will be staying next door at the DoubleTree, tired of the quality of "budget" hotels in Jordan. Would love for someone to prove me wrong!

Room Tip: Book on-line. Check room for cleanliness and working a/c before accepting.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Schwab1

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Very good location, reception very good this lady Hala very kind and helpful, very nice woman. very slippery bathroom floor. poor breakfast for people from Europe. Hot water in shower very slow. Wifi in lobby and rooms too but slow

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Peter H
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Simple, but not very bad hotel.
Clean rooms, simple food. No drinks
BUT
Someone stole my backpack from the room.
The hotel administration didn't do anything

Simple, but not very bad hotel.
Clean rooms, simple food. No drinks
BUT
Someone stole my backpack from the room.
The hotel administration didn't do anything

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Irina_Nechaeva
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Realplayer not nice hotel but cheap and in a perfect position in city center near lussury hotels.
Roma big but not vey cleaned with cheap and often broker forniture with air condition vero noise.
Pro: location and pool inside the hotel.
Wifi dose nt. Work per perla durino our stay.
Really economic to be' in Aquaba center... If for you save money is the first thing it's your hotel As It was the mine

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Booked a rubbish hotel and moved to this one, This hotel is in a great spot a short walk to all. There is a pool and 2 bars roof top and foyer bar. I stayed on the 6th floor refurbish rooms with a balcony and sea view. Looks like they may start building in front of hotel soon! The breakfast is OK but its clean and friendly helpful staff.

Room Tip: Stay in refurbish room
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Great location.
Rooms on 6 & & floors best as refurbished. Sea view same price as street view.
Excellent breakfast.
Nice bar on top with great views but a bit dull.
Pool looked nice but no views.
Very clean throughout with friendly staff.

Room Tip: 6 & 7 floor. Sea view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2013

If you are looking for a hotel for your beach vacation in Aqaba - it's the hotel next to this one. Doubletree by Hilton costs about 100€ more per person for one week and there are many reasons to choose the more expensive hotel this time.

1. If you want to go to the private beach (public beaches are full of muslims, so you should go there if you want to take off any clothes), you need to pay about 11€ / day / person. If you are there for one week and want to go every day to the beach.. well you can do the math yourself. You pay a lot just to get to the beach. For customers of the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel the transport & entry to the same private beach is free.

2. The breakfast was everyday the same. The quality was poor. My girlfriend didn't eat anything because there were no fruits, not much to put on the bread and the bread was of weird/bad quality too. Many times the whole bread lie there naked and to get a peace of it you had to touch the bread with your hands to be able to cut a peace of it. I didn't, but I guess other people did and I don't want to eat bread in Aqaba that someone except the kitchen personal has touched with its fingers. We heard that at the Doubletree Hotel there were fruits at breakfast and some kitchen guy who made you omelets with the ingredients that you choose =)

3. The swimming pool is inside an inner yard. The sun began to shine on the swimming pool at maybe 2 pm and on 6 pm the pool closed already. So it was a little bit useless and the water was cold (maybe it's cold everywhere? Don't know)

4. No more reasons and I don't think any further are needed. If you are going on a beach vacations and there's a room available at Doubletree by Hilton - take that one instead. If you are just 1 night or don't want to go to the beach or swimming pool you may as well choose this hotel.

We had a very nice 1 week vacation in Aqaba even though we didn't happen to choose the best possible hotel. There was no way to know in advance. But if you are reading this, remember to check out if another hotels suit your needs better.

And one more notice. The taxi drivers in Aqaba cheat with the prices, big time. Even the taxi-meters cheat. Don't pay more than 10JD (about 11€) for any distance covered. Not to the airport, not the israeli border, not the privat beach.. The drivers are likely to ask 20 or 30 JD for short distances. Don't pay them more than 10JD. The propper price might be 5JD, don't know excactly.. but it's definitely never over 10JD.

10 JD fee to the private beach and cheating taxi drivers where the only bad things in Aqaba. Otherwise lovely town to visite :)

2  Thank Johannes H