“Bad Experiance”
Review of Coral Bay

Coral Bay
Ranked #35 of 41 Hotels in Aqaba
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I reserved for a one night stay at this hotel, (18th of April 2014) it is very far from the city center, the rooms are very small and very old, it need a full renovation, I asked them to change the room and they did not. Since it far from everything I went down to what called beach restaurant, preparing 2 steak took them two and half hour !!, I cancelled my reservation and did not pay for that night and went to search for another hotel. defiantly I do not advice anyone to even think about this hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Nilhan S

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Paid 15 dinar for a day entrance, on top of this we also had to pay 1 dinar per towel. The staff manning the towel desk tried to pull the 'no change' scam, in order to get more money out of us. Assuring us they would get change and bring it to us in 'five minutes' headed down to the beach. An hour later, still no sign. We also went to the beach bar to get a drink. Same line... Sorry I have no change... I'll bring it to you... So in the end I had to stand at the towel desk for ten minutes, whilst they assured me over and over it was coming.... Waiting... Waiting... And bingo, finally they found some change for us. We went back to the bar to get another drink using the money they owed us. They weren't impressed, but it made us feel better!

I'll write a separate review for the royal dive club, which is run down, deserted and had poor standard equipment.

The hotel has a jetty you can walk down to get into the sea and start snorkelling straight away, two reefs within a very short snorkel, both wonderful, full of fish, lots to see and we had a really magical experience. Pity we couldn't just stay in the sea the whole time.

There was a group of local boys wandering around, messing about, throwing stones into the sea to scare the fish and taking hundreds of photos on the camera phones generally getting in the way and trying to be intimidating. Tried our best to ignore them. At one point the cheeky gist tried to take pictures of us getting into the water, and my boyfriend had to tell them not to, they all ran away!!

The shower and changing facilities are pretty grotty, showers are cold and have seen other reviews that question the security of the lockers. We just kept stuff with us and tucked in our bags which we left on the beach whilst snorkelling and didn't have a problem.

All in all, this is a great place for snorkelling, but be prepared to be ripped off at every turn, have to ignore some unwanted attention on the beach, but if you can get past all this then the snorkelling is really wonderful.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Travellingbear44
Reviewed 16 October 2013

we arrived at the hotel and got into our rooms it was nice but they had no towels on the beach, and the breakfast was horrible but the beach was nice and they had the best corals in aqaba

the diving center was amazing and they were really friendly specially Hamzah

Room Tip: make sure you take the sea view room in the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mohammad H
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Planning a day of diving in Aqaba, I emailed the Royal Diving Club in advance.
Hamza, the diving manager, replied quickly and professionally and so we booked 2 dives.
When we arrived by taxi from central Aqaba (there are also bus and shuttle options) the team was ready for us and we didn't spend too much time getting the equipment and preparing for the day.
My friend and I had the dive-master and minibus driver all to ourselves that day.
The diving was great and the staff was very friendly and hospitable.
I really liked the fact that the hotel and diving club were located on a beautiful beach far out of town. This made the down time between dives far more enjoyable (quiet, great snorkeling and swimming, good place for a snack, etc.).
Our dive-master was professional as a diver but I didn't feel he could teach a diving course (they may have a different team to guide novice divers).
All in all a great experience and I will hopefully be back!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We went there based on the advice of a hustler taxi driver who gets commissions from this resort. After paying 15JD(22$) each to access their beach and pools, we were extremely disappointed about what we saw, as we expected state of the art facilities and a sandy beach, but sadly we saw a very rocky beach and a small pool, so we we went back to the reception and asked for our money back, which they paid promptly. Another reason not to go there, the location is so far out of town and near the border with Saudi Arabia and it is surrounded by a Jordanian naval base. I can't comment on the rooms as I didn't stay there

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank simon-pal
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We visited there in April 2011. Many people recommended the hotel facilities for us, so we went there for a day. It was nice but not exclusive.Good value of money, as i recall the entrance fee was reasonable. The hotel is far from the city center but there are shuttles that lift customer from the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LKhamis
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I spent here 3 days with my family. The location is very nice, the reef is beautiful, the service fast and friendly, the rooms are clean. There's a very convenient regular shuttle bus to the city. We enjoyed it very much!

• Stayed: May 2013