“Rather run down hotel”
Review of Captains Hotel

Captains Hotel
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Aqaba
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Very average hotel, maintenance less than standard.
Rather big room.
Corroded shower, malfunctioning airco (35°C in the room, still seems a bit hot to me).
Staff apparently not very interested and not helpful at all.
Small swimpool available, tucked away between high walls.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kris K

Reviewed 19 October 2012

This is a nice little unpretentious hotel which is really attached to the restaurant of the same name - which is also rather good especially for sea-food.
The hotel can be accessed either by a rather unobtrusive door or through the restaurant itself, which is a little unusual. There are plenty of local diners which I always think is a good sign, and even some small coach parties which is a mixed sign - and is usually bad for service.
It is reasonably priced, particularly if you book ahead. The rooms are small but clean, and well appointed. The bathrooms are nice. I saw the mention about hot water but I have to say that we had hot water a plenty and we stayed four nights. The buffet breakfast is included and good. Rooms at the back have no view but are quiet. Staff are friendly and mostly speak English.
Free bus to the tourist beach (about 10km away) there and back twice a day - not to be confused with the town beach which is an easy walk - but if you want to swim here you will have to go in fully dressed as the locals do (at least if you're female anyway.) There is very good snorkelling at the tourist beach so it's worth the trip and you can always get a taxi to suit - there are toilets and restaurants and some umbrellas but go early in season. Some locals (or arab tourists) go here also, so you will find some women swimming (or nearly drowning) in reams of linen, but at least here you can comfortably go in in swim shorts or a bikini which is definitely not on at the town beach.
Back to the Hotel - it has a lovely little pool which you can look down at if you're at the back - or sit beside and sip a cocktail. The lifeguard is intermittent so be sure to drown at the appropriate time. It's a suntrap at the right time too, and you can get lunch delivered here too.
The town centre, such as it is, is a very easy stroll from Captain's and we did a nightly wander. There isn't a lot to see apart from the incongruity of a man dressed as a Sheikh riding a camel between stationary BMW's, Mercs and Humvee's.
Oh, and coffee. I love coffee, usually in al its guises, and particularly Turkish and Greek. I don't know what Jordanians do to coffee, but it's an abomination. By the time we reached Aqaba we were in serious withdrawal not having managed to drink any of the awful gnat's pee that had been masquerading as coffee. We had even taken to drinking the local tea as preferable, and neither of us is a tea drinker at home. And now I'm ashamed to admit it - you wouldn't normally catch me dead in a fast-food restaurant at home - but in search of the perfect cup of coffee I stepped inside a local fast food joint to see if they did anything as vulgar as an 'Americano'?
Oh Joy! A great mug of the stuff that actually tasted of coffee. Unbelievable. I could forgive nmyself - after all I just had to go back. And anyway, it's not like it was McDonald's or like anybody I knew was going to see me.
Anyhow it has that small hotel feel whilst providing everything you need from a big hotel with a bit more atmosphere. Unless you like the impersonal and swank of the biggies, I would recommend Captain's

Room Tip: At the back up a few stories for quiet
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bobbycow
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I was expecting a lot more. This hotel seemed a bit dingy and dated. The bathroom was tiny. There was also no water pressure and the shower did not drain. The staff seemed like they did not care too much. Complaints were addressed quickly, however it seemed a bit forced. and issues were not always fixed. Service in the restaurant on the first floor was also poor. Breakfast staff were attentive, and helpful.

Room Tip: Go to the Movenpik instead.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tenoch
Reviewed 11 May 2012 via mobile

We used the hotel in Aqaba witch was just perfect & from the same hotel hired a rent car and went to their camp where we made our tours in wadi run & spent an unforgettable night at their 5* tent

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Rannoosh
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This hotel is entered through the restaurant and is very cute. However, it is a maintenance disaster. None of our group of 5 managed a hot shower in the two days we spent there. I complained and a "technician" was sent to my room. After much back and forth on a walkie-talkie he managed to get some hot water but it was gone before I was able to use it. A light fixture in the bathroom crashed to the floor with no provocation. Problems experienced by others in our group included blowing a fuse due to a faulty floor lamp and a clogged toilet. To the credit of the staff they responded promptly to these problems but they should not have happened in the first place. The Captain's Restaurant used to be famous for sushi. We ordered regular fish but it was so raw as to be inedible.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Valerie Z
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The hotel was in a good position, near lots of restaurants and shops. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, and seemed genuinely interested in making sure you had a good stay. Our room on the sixth floor had a lovely sea view and was quiet and comfortable. The food and service at the Captain's restaurant was excellent and very good value for money. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Excellent service, Clean rooms, Great location.
We enjoyed the food specially the sea food menu, Cozy atmosphere Friendly staff, Loved It

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family