“Rather basic accomodation”

Marutame
Marutame
Ranked #113 of 171 Hotels / Ryokan in Nagoya
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I stayed in Marutame Ryokan for my solo trip in Japan.
I had to contact and book the ryokan through the help of a japanese friend, since it was a bit difficult to communicate in english.
The location is very good, central, in the middle of all the places you may want to visit, and not very far from convenience stores and restaurants. It's also a quiet area next to a temple (which looked closed and desert to me).
It's a small very basic traditional japanese accomodation. I've been to many ryokans in my life, so I wasn't exactly thrilled by this one, that is overall ok, but a bit shabby.
The owner was very helpful in trying to provide informations and help me through all my stay. He even accompanied me in person to search for some restaurants where to eat (they didn't cook, despite what is said in other reviews, and I had no contact with other people of the family running the place, that was living in a separate area).
The room was small, they generally try to keep it clean but the walls had stains and I found a bug walking in the middle of it. The common bathroom is also ok, but again a bit shabby feeling, soap is used by everyone and the mugs used in the bathroom and the old dishes used for the tea in the room weren't precisely spotless clean.
There are machines for drkins but they didn't work. Very useful were, instead, the laundry and drying machines. I enjoyed the hot bath tub every evening and it's one of the best things of this place. The price was very good.
The details in terms of cleanliness and good hosting are generally overlooked; the place could really be something after a bit of refurbishing and a bit of care.
Generally speaking it's very ok if you only search for basic and cheap accomodation and you don't really care for a characteristic place.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank AiRuoYan
Reviewed 14 May 2011

This is a family-run inn in a quiet area of Nagoya. The rooms are a good size but what I really like, the ofuro is available 24 hours a day. Nothing quite refreshes you while you're traveling than the chance for a good soak. The amenities are better than the price suggests. The food is plentiful and tasty.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank bariloche48
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Note! I said above that we stayed there in May 2010--it was actually May 2007. I meant to write the review when we returned (it was through reviews on TA that we found a number of the places at which we stayed), but time seems to get away from me.

Ryokan Marutame was a great place for my husband and I to begin (and end--we stayed there the night before we flew out of Centrair in Nagoya) a two week-long vacation in Japan. It sits right next to the Higashi Betsuin temple, which meant that each morning we were awakened by the sound of the temple bells and the monks chanting, which was really cool. It's sort of tucked in a quiet neighborhood, so if you're looking for a place close to exciting nightlife or shopping, this might not be what you're looking for.

However, if you want a slice of regular, everyday life in Japan, it's a great place to experience just that. We enjoyed a lovely traditional Japanese breakfast, cooked by the family who owns the ryokan, each morning as school kids streamed past in their uniforms on their way to school. We really enjoyed wandering around the neighborhood, checking out interesting signage and such.

The rooms were very simple--a very traditional, economical ryokan--but very clean and comfortable. A shared sink area (for brushing your teeth, washing your face, etc.) was fun when we ran into Japanese visitors, who were always eager to engage with us, even if they spoke little/no English and our Japanese wasn't much better. There's also a nice traditional bath downstairs so that you can enjoy a good soak (and if you're nervous about the whole bathing with random strangers thing, the nice thing is that you can lock the door for a private bath).

Overall, we *really* enjoyed our stay at Ryokan Marutame, and we'd stay there again in an instant. It's not full of a lot of whistles and bells, but if you're looking for a place that's friendly and affordable and that allows you to experience a traditional ryokan, I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple