“Magnificent view of Nagoya castle”

The Westin Nagoya Castle
Ranked #19 of 166 Hotels / Ryokan in Nagoya
Melbourne, Australia
“Magnificent view of Nagoya castle”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed one night in the Westin Nagoya Castle as part of a tour in April 2014. What really stood out was the memory of opening the curtains in our room and seeing Nagoya Castle right in front of us, in all its glory. It was night night and the castle was stunningly lit.

For that view alone, first-time visitors should consider a stay at the Westin Nagoya Castle.

Of course, breath-taking view aside, you get everything that you would expect from the Westin: a grand lobby, luxurious bathrobes, a fantastic high-tech showerhead that took a few seconds to figure out (excellent water pressure), hotel-wide wifi and super-comfortable beds. I think I had the best night of sleep at the Westin Nagoya Castle out of the entire tour.

If you’re after a nice stroll, the footpath around the castle grounds offers a perfect (almost traffic free) path for walking or jogging. The footpath wasn’t exactly well lit at night but you do feel very safe with all the joggers and cyclists along the way.

Buffet breakfast the next day was rather mediocre. The selection of Japanese food wasn’t very large, but that was understandable given that the hotel probably caters more to foreigners than to locals. The quality and variety of the food offered was good, not great. The kitchen also seemed to have difficulty keeping up with the rate at which food was being depleted and there were some plates sitting empty at the buffet. The coffee was excellent, though.

As we stayed at the Westin Nagoya as part of a guided tour, such factors as proximity to public transport or the quality of the service weren’t part of the consideration. Our room was very clean, quiet, comfortable and quite spacious for two people, although the lingering stench of stale cigarette smoke that greeted us when we entered the room was a little unpleasant. Be sure to ask for a non-smoking room if you are a non-smoker.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a non-smoking room if you were a non-smoker. Or take advantage of the air fresher...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
nagoya_castle, Manager at The Westin Nagoya Castle, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments.

It is always pleasure to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels

as you were satisfied with Nagoya Castle view, our facilities, bathrobe and Heavenly Bed.

Especially the surroundings of Nagoya Castle including jogging courses

are a popular place to visit for our guests to refresh and invigorate your body and mind.

Cherry blossoms in spring and beautiful colored leaves in autumn are must see seasons

to enjoy traditional Japanese natural beauty.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Boston
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Free hotel shuttle from the Nagoya station to the hotel. My early check in was smooth and staff speak really good English. One lady worked at the lobby and offered help of how to transfer back to the Chubu International airport really early around 5AM next morning. She printout the local subway and epress train schedule along with a local area map to guide me how to walk to the station. I found it very helpful and make my stay a wonderful experience. My room probably has one of the best view across from the Nagoya Castle!

Room Tip: Castle view room on the higher floor. I had room 710.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
nagoya_castle, Manager at The Westin Nagoya Castle, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for your stay at The Westin Nagoya Castle.

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments.

We aim to provide the best possible service that our guests can be pleased with.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Palm Harbor, FL
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We arrived at the peak of cherry blossom viewing. To our surprise at check-in we found we would have TWO rooms. Each with a single bed. They promised us a room with a double bed for our 3rd and 4th nights.

Those rooms were small, but not surprisingly so by Japanese standards. Long and narrow, not a lot wider than the single bed.

The AC seemed inadequate. The room was warm, I was unable to open the window.

"The room"? And "Why such high marks given those comments?"

The morning after the first night the desk informed us that they could move us to a room with 2 single beds that day, but we'd sill have to wait for a room with a double or queen. We packed and they moved our luggage while we were out touring the castle.

That room was much better. In addition to having 2 beds the temp was MUCH better. And where we'd been on the back of the building the new room had a castle view.

The new room was such that we opted not to move again.

There are several restaurants in the hotel and that's a good thing. There are none in the largely residential neighborhood where the hotel is located.

Be warned, prices range from "High" to "OMG". Dinner in the French restaurant was the equivalent of $100 - $200 without drinks, wine or what have you. Located on the top floor the view is impressive. Wed had drinks in the bar up there the night before but passed on dinner.

In the basement there is a Chinese restaurant and a Japanese restaurant. (And Italian?) We opted for Japanese and the Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura Set was very good. (And a little more reasonable than top-floor French.

There is a more casual restaurant on the first floor offering sandwiches, appetizers and such. This is also where they serve breakfast. That was a great deal. There was an extensive buffet with Japanese and Western style choices.

The location was great for the castle views, but more "isolated" than I would prefer. I would have liked to be more "downtown" where I could walk to a variety of eateries. We did not have a car,but taxis were available.

Room Tip: Request a room on an upper floor overlooking the castle across the street. The view is great at nigh...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
nagoya_castle, マネージャー at The Westin Nagoya Castle, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear of your experience and deeply apologize

that we took the reservation of wrong room type and could not offer the queen or double room you expected.

We appreciate that you enjoyed your meal in our restaurants. We are always pleased to hear

that our guests spent their precious time during their travelling in our distinctive restaurants.

Though our hotel is a little far from the Nagoya Station, we can provide a calm and

relaxing environment for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed in the hotel twice and the first time I visited, I liked the hotel since they provided complimentary shuttle between the hotel and JR Nagoya station. The hotel would also usually provide SPG Platinum members with room upgrades to those with a view of the castle. However their standard rooms are really in a bad shape and would be more similar to the classic Japanese hotel with small bathrooms.

Usually SPG Platinum members gets the nicer rooms with larger bathrooms that features both a bathtub and shower stall. However they only provide 2 bottles of water per room and it was a small Evian bottle, not even a standard size mineral water bottle. When I asked for additional bottled water, the staff said each room are subject to 2 bottles of water per day. Any more and it will be charged. Considering the club lounge that SPG Platinum members are entitled access to does not open until night time and there are no convenience stores around the hotel, guests are expected to pay hefty prices for bottled water. This was not something I expected from a high-end hotel like the Westin. In all my stays at SPG hotels worldwide, I have not experienced such a hassle requesting bottled water.

Again, the staff at the front desk can be a bit disorganized and takes some time to check guests in. The process would usually be longer in this hotel than others. Thus I really advise the hotel management to review its training and procedures since it does not befit the Westin brand at all. The only good thing I could praise was the concierge during my last stay in Dec 2012 as she recommended an excellent place to have Japanese eel in Nagoya. Other than its location being opposite the castle, this hotel does not have easy access to public transport and I do not recommend visitors to stay here at all when in Nagoya especially with the terrible service.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the castle if possible
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew W
nagoya_castle, マネージャー at The Westin Nagoya Castle, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for staying at The Westin Nagoya Castle this time and for taking the time to review our hotel.
Your valuable comments will be passed onto the related departments and incorporated as an improvement.
In addition, we will enhance our trainings for associates to provide a smooth check-in.
For guests’ relaxing and comfortable experience, we will make our best effort to provide the high quality service possible moving forward.
If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to contact us. We would be happy to assist whatever we can.
Japan
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had.
I am a platinum spg member and have checked in at 8 am with warm welcomes all over the world. If the room wasn't ready they would even offer me a free breakfast while I waited for the room to be cleaned.
At westin Nagoya I tried to check in at 12 noon and they wouldn't even look up my reservation -"check in is not until 2pm". I asked if I could at least register so I could use the wifi "check in is not until 2pm"
I went back to the desk at 1:59 pm and the other front desk guy looked at his watch and thought about it for a few seconds and finally let me check in.
He did not say ONE word to me during the whole check in.
The front desk people were robots and not even nice robots- mean robots!
The only good thing about this hotel was the fitness staff were really friendly - probably because they weren't westin employees
Give this hotel a miss.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank dragonogard
nagoya_castle, Manager at The Westin Nagoya Castle, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
We do apologize for your experience because of our lack of concern at your check-in time.
It is an important role of hotel staff to offer a relaxing time for our valued guests.
We should have offer another alternative service for you if the room was not ready.
We will certainly review the overall front desk performance of this service to ensure we are able to provide more flexible, customer-focused service possible moving forward.

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I spent here 2 night on a business trip. I had Castle view, which was amazing - especially at night. First I received a smoking room, however non-smoking was booked - the staff was really helpful and I received a new, non-smoking room. The gym is only opens at 11am and closes at 10pm. Really disappointing, could not use it. The room was ok, the bed is really comfortable, the breakfast is not a Westin standard. I love Westin's, but this is below my expectations - especially, that Nagoya Westin is even more expensive, than much better Westin's in Japan...

Room Tip: Castle view!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
nagoya_castle, マネージャー at The Westin Nagoya Castle, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you very much for your stay at The Westin Nagoya Castle.
We value your feedback and aim to provide the best possible service to our customers to be a better hotel.
We are sincerely looking forward to your visiting our hotel again.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights.

LOCATION - about 6-10 min walk to the nearest metro station. Still ok but become an hassle arriving and departing from the hotel. They have a hourly shuttle bus from hotel to Nagoya Station and we used that upon our departure which is convenient. We could not use the shuttle when we arrive as we arrived late at past 9pm (service stops at around 8pm I think) and had to use the taxi which is about 1500JPY. If you intend to use the shuttle upon arrival, be sure to check on the timing and location to board the bus.

ROOM - big for Japan standard. Good value. We had the Nagoya Castle view room and was nice.

FOOD - breakfast in hotel is pretty good. Maybe it is not the peak period so we did not experience the crowd that some reviewers mentioned.

SERVICE - not as efficient as Tokyo's (we cannot help making the comparison having arriving in Nagoya from Tokyo) but this is the general pace in Nagoya I guess. However, they do go all out to make sure you are comfortable and happy. Staff are very humble and courteous.

Room Tip: Go for the breakfast.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
nagoya_castle, マネージャー at The Westin Nagoya Castle, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Thank you for your staying at The Westin Nagoya Castle. As our hotel is a little far away from the center of city and Nagoya Station,
we are sorry to have given our guests the trouble of coming over to and going out from our hotel.
Instead, we can deliver the calm and quiet environment for guests to have their hotel experiences.
We aim to make our best effort to deliver the personalized guest experience for their satisfaction.
We look forward to your visiting our hotel again.