“Japan's Basil Fawlty works here”

Hotel Arc Riche Toyohashi
Bishop Auckland
“Japan's Basil Fawlty works here”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The fact that I was a foreigner but did not have a passport or ID card on my person seemed to really upset the House Manager. He had been called for when the desk staff failed to get ID. I have to say I have not had this problem at any other hotel in Japan once I have told them I am living and working here and provided an address. This man however really seemed to take exception at one point leaning right over the counter in to my face and asking in a loud voice, "Do you speak English?" I really did think I was in the presence of Basil Fawlty. I was also told in very condescending way that as I was a "short time" guest I had to be out by 10am. I have little idea what this is about the room was booked by my company. Safe to say we will not be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank DurhamStu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boston, USA
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We booked very early and managed to get a double deluxe suite for half-price at about 10,000 JPY per night. Rooms normally start at about 13,000 JPY per night. Our room was very clean and done up nicely. The hotel does not have a coin laundry but it does have free wifi in the common areas (unfortunately smoking is permitted in these areas though).
I'm not sure if the staff speak English because I was able to get by with my broken Japanese but we didn't see any other foreigners staying there - only Japanese business men. The hotel is right next to the train station though the entrance is on the side facing away from the station and not on the ground floor.
I normally prefer to stay in traditional Japanese inns but I wasn't able to find any in Toyohashi near the station. We had a very pleasant stay at this hotel - highly recommended!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sarah D
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Perfect location ten minutes from the bullet train. Big spacious reception and extremely helpful staff who speak great english. Beautiful room with an amazing view and a very good club facilities with computeraccess and free drinks from 8pm. Wonderful hotel. Thoroughly recommend.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple