“Very good traditional Japanese!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Oyado Yoshinoya

Oyado Yoshinoya
Ranked #4 of 94 B&Bs / Inns in Takayama
Skien
“Very good traditional Japanese!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

This traditional Japanese hotel has everything you can ask for considering the price payed. They actually have their own onsen- hot spring japaneece baths! The rooms have tatami mats and yukata(japanese bathrobes) The only thing thing lacking are toilet/bathrooms in the individual rooms, but this was no problem- there were always vacant shared ones.. The owners are warm and service minded, we felt very welcome here!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ane V

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed here with my three kids ( 17, 15 and 11 ) and we loved it. The couple who run it are fabulous hosts, dont really speak english but so helpful and welcoming. Rooms are compact but very comfortable, shared bathroom very clean and as there aren't many rooms here never busy. It's situated about 15 minutes walk north of the station, an easy walk with luggage, and near the old part of town and associated sights. We had dinner the first night and breakfast our first morning and I recommend both as you get an amazing amount of japanese food both quality and quantity. Onsen baths are great extremely relaxing. Would definately stay there again if I'm lucky enough to return to Takayama.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

First of all: Nice place, lovely owners!
We asked if we could have a vegetarian breakfast and were thrilled that we got an array of delicious vegetarian Japanese food including some regional specialites!
The room and the onsen were also clean and cosy and the location makes a good base for sightseeing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

This ryokan is walkable to a lot of the sites and from the JR station. As others have mentioned, the owners are incredibly sweet and helpful. We arrived one hour before check-in and they held our luggage for us, gave us a map, and showed us where all the sites are in Takayama. Even told us which ones were free. When we walked into the ryokan there was no one around, weren't sure what to do. Made my husband say "sumimasen" and the owners would rush out to help us.

We had a room facing the main road and could hear the cars going by and people talking outside. There were times that I heard people talking in the room below us. You can even hear people opening and closing their sliding doors. However, Takayama does shut down early so it eventually quiets down. I'm a light sleeper and used ear plugs just in case. My husband had no problems.

We opted out of dinner but had breakfast at the ryokan, and it was delicious! It was better than what we had at a luxury ryokan in Hakone. Definitely have breakfast if you're heading out to the morning markets. There's not a lot to eat at the markets and nothing else is open early.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vinnybobb
Loveland, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

This is a really nice little place to stay in while spending time in Takayama. The proprietors, husband and wife, run the show there - they own the place. They're terrific hosts and were very kind to us.

The wife is a fantastic cook and you're nuts if you don't opt for, at the very least, the Japanese breakfast. Each breakfast is served with a bit of the local beef, which is glorious, and the rest of the breakfast is as classic Japanese as it gets. If you're not used to the food, you might find it a bit strange, but I enjoyed it very much. In fact, I crave often crave it.

My wife and I visited Takayama in the dead of winter and, unless you love winter and can take the cold, I'd recommend visiting in a different season as Takayama would be beautiful in any season. I liked the winter cold and enjoyed all the beautiful snow, though I, too, am from a snowy place.

The ryokan has two nice and very well-kept family style onsens, which you're asked to share with your family. My wife and I easily fit in the washing room and loved the hot, deep tub. It is wonderful to sit there and cook your face off after walking around in the cold all day.

Speaking of the cold, it was more intense than I expected and I went unprepared. I didn't have enough to wear. The gentleman running the place lent me his coat, out of the blue, though I hadn't complained at all, and that pretty much saved my life. In return, I left him with a small bottle of American whisky and a deep and grateful bow. And a little hug. Why not?

I would definitely stay here again and I recommend that you do, too, if you can.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J B
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed here for two nights in June 2013. Most of the rest of our holiday was spent staying in hotels and Takayama was our chosen place to try the ryokan option. Certainly not disappointed - room was spacious and really felt welcomed by the hosts. Shared bathrooms were clean, well-kept and the shower/bathing options were really good. Very helpful hosts who did all they could to offer advice for tourist options - definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

This was the first ryokan we stayed at and what a wonderful experience! The first thing that hit us was that the place was spotlessly clean! The hosts were incredibly nice and always went out of their way to help us out. The location was great as it was on the main road and we had a great time browsing the shops along the way. We did however take a cab from the train station as we had with us quite heavy bags. We were incredibly lucky to be the only guests on the first night and thoroughly ENJOYED the amazing onsen hot bath!! It was just like heaven and it would be a big shame for guests who stay there to not use the onsen. The breakfast was absolutely delicious with a great variety of dishes. I can find no fault at all with this place and highly recommend others to stay there. I did walk past other busier ryokans in Takayama but was glad that ours wasn't so busy because it made the experience more personal. Thanks to the hosts for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family