Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.comUS$196
Hotels.comUS$196
PricelineUS$157
CheapTicketsUS$196
Orbitz.comUS$196
eDreamsUS$150
All reviews private bath japanese breakfast train station wonderful ryokan old town ryokan experience authentic japanese experience western style wonderful stay kimono shoes baths oils onsen jr bathing
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 August 2019 via mobile

This was our first Ryokan on our trip and we couldn’t have been happier to end up here! You arrive to the staff welcoming you in graciously. You have to remove your shoes and are given slippers for the tatami floors. You are given a fan, a jelly snack and green tea. They gave us male and female kimonos to wear around the hotel and the city (I wore mine out to dinner!!) and lighter Yukatas for the room and to go to the spa. Our room was nicely sized. There is a table in thyme center of the room that they move over in the evening and lay out your futons for sleeping. We booked a superior traditional room and our friends took a standard. The superior is a bit larger with a full couch rather than a love seat. We had 4 floor chairs in the superior (ie they don’t have legs) and had nice cocktails (sparkling sake) in our room before going out! I’m sure a family of 4 or 5 could stay in our space easily. The men’s (& I’m told the woman’s) spa had an antiroom with sinks and products that led to the spa with showers first and then an indoor and small outdoor bathing. It was very pleasant! We also tried the smaller private spa (need to book for 1100 yen for 40 mins) but I liked the larger spa. Breakfast was either Japanese or Western and both were large and tasty!
And again, the staff was so welcoming, helpful and gracious- I highly recommend staying here!!

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank brazilish
Reviewed 27 July 2019

I went to Takayama and stayed in this Ryokan in April as I wanted to watch the doll's festival which is held by Minashi Shrine. The experience was really great there. The food tastes good but I was a little disappointed as they did not provide dinner. However, it is not a really big deal anyway. Also, it is really close to the Takayama station so it is easy for you to take the train/JR at any time. For the room, it is regular room but I was impressed by the kotatsu. Finally understand why everyone like it and does not want to leave as you get into it.

The most important thing for me is this Ryokan actually accept solo traveler to stay there. As it is somewhat hard to find a Ryokan to accept solo traveler, I will definitely give them a hight score.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Rezzy0506
Reviewed 20 July 2019 via mobile

From the moment we walked into this ryokan, from the pouring rain we were greeted with open arms from the lovely and polite staff.our room was clean and of typical Tradition. A great experience, close to the station and certain popular points of the town.Breakfast was optional with traditional Japanese or the western preference.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2019 via mobile

The delightful and helpful staff made us feel extremely welcome and ensured every comfort was met. Great breakfasts and a lovely public bath. Excellent facilities and attention to detail, although I wouldn’t necessarily recommend the private bath as anything special. Very happy with our time at this special Ryokan.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank teewalchas
Reviewed 9 June 2019

Found this Ryokan by accident and what attracted me were:-
- it is small and doesn't look like a huge chain hotel
- located near the main station at Takayama
- Reasonable room prices

I must say it ticked all the boxes.
- Really cozy Ryokan with accommodating staff. They really made us feel at home. The staff were wonderful and really made us feel welcome. Although there was a small language gap, they had 1 or 2 staff who could speak English and they tried their best to explain the facilities at the Ryokan, the location and introduce a couple of nice restaurants around the area.
- The location was really good - just 5 mins walk from the main station at Takayama & a short walk (say, 15 mins walk) to the main belt at the Takayama town center. Enroute to the town center you will be able to see convenience stores and restaurants. And if you are renting a car, well, the car rental agencies are located at the train station so there you have it.
- Rooms are of a good size (as they would be for Ryokans). We took the japanese style bedding and each evening the beds were laid out for us. Very comfortable and cozy.
- If there is a one downside (and to be fair, it is not really a downside) - the public baths were quite small. For the mens section, they had an indoor and an outdoor bath. I would say, for the mens outdoor bath, it would comfortably fit 2 (depending on your level of comfort with strangers I guess). But that was to be expected as the Ryokan is not a large one. Having said that, I spent 4 days and only on 1 evening did I see others using the bath. I'm pretty sure if you timed your visit to the outdoor baths you will get a good amount of privacy.
- Enroute back from the main town belt, we also found a cozy little sake bar called Kaza Craft Pub - also a small surprise find and definitely worth a visit.
- We did not take the breakfast option so I can't quite say how breakfast was like. But, there are a number of bakeries and convenience stores and friends who needed that morning snack to satisfy the hunger cravings were able to find food quite easily.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay!

Date of stay: November 2018