“Takayama is wonderful!”

K's House Takayama
Regina, Saskatchewan
“Takayama is wonderful!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

KS House is amazing. We got the private room with ensuite. Cozy but good. Friendly staff and great town worth two or three days to explore area. Check when they have hostel dinners which was wonderful. We paid eighty two per night.

Room Tip: Ensuite or cheap is the question
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bordeaux, France
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My girlfriend and I tried the K'S house in Takayama because a friend recommanded it.
It was really good !

We were in a double room, quite small but, it's everywhere like this in Japan, with TV and a good bed. The bathroom and the toilets were inside the room, which is a good point for us.

The hostel is really quiet and pretty, well decorated. You will feel really peaceful in the middle of the moutain !

The staff is really nice and helpful, always smiling and giving good advices !

+ you can make your own crushed ice with syrup in the (beautiful and clean) kitchen.

I would like to come back during winter time, I'm sure it's better !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
KL
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Excellent! Totally changed the way we look at hostel stays. Exceptionally clean & comfortable with very friendly staff who went out of their way to provide advice on our travel plans (even helped us save a bit of money). We honestly did not expect a hostel stay to be so cosy. My very skeptical mother would definitely approve of this - yup, I would even recommend this place to families young and old.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MayY15
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We are a family of for 4. Kids 8 and 5. The 4 bed room worked well for us. well located close to the station and attractions. They have good recommendations for dinner (including a discount of a free drink). If in Takayama with kids go and do the craft near the hida village museum.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
waiwera
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Busy hostel with efficient, helpful staff and very nice facilities. 5 mins from JR station and 10mins walk to 'old part' of town. Quite a touristy town with many cameras visible.
Tiny double room with no room down one side of bed and miniature space for bags. V compact bathroom but very clean & tidy and good value

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kutchan-cho, Japan
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed by myself in a single room for a week here. I chose it because it was a 5min walk to the train station. The room was small, but so clean! I actually felt really cosy. The staff were sooooo friendly! They would always converse with me when I got back after my daily adventures and during dinnertime as well.

The common areas of the hostel are immaculately clean and very inviting. The "waiting room" has a hearth and computers to use. The dining area has normal tables and chairs as well as a tatami area. The kitchen is big and spacious, really easy to share with other travellers.

I met many wonderful people at this hostel! I highly recommend K's House Takayama. The staff definitely make you feel welcomed! It is a lovely and warm place to come back to and just relax =)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Netherlands
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Previous experience with K's house in Kyoto was supreme, so I was hoping not to be disappointed by the on in Takayama. Ok, let us be realistic: Kyoto is a far more popular place for common tourists and therefore the Hostel is larger than it's little brother here in Takayama. But that doesn't take away the service K's house and the social environment a hostel has in general. People visiting K's house are really interesting and fun to talk to. So every day/night was enjoyable.

Let us get serious: The dormitory room I booked was for four 4 people. A little cramped if every person has a huge suit case. Luckily mine was small but the room is really too small for 4 people in my opinion. Additionally, unlike it's bigger brother in Kyoto, this one had no big size locker. The lockers were small square shaped good enough to hold small things (it did hold my laptop). In Kyoto, you could fit your huge suitcase under the beds. Oh well, as said before, Takayama is not a huge place and thus the hostel is scaled accordingly. This was my only slight concern for lodging.

Location is unlike Kyoto more closer to the JR. 5-6 minute walk from the station. Everything else like Kombini are in walking distance. No need for busses or bikes to be honest. Explore on foot the shopping area and restaurants, you'll see more.

The lobby staff was friendly (Thank you all) and knows English. So don't be afraid to communicate. The lounge room is small but enjoyable. Computers available for free (Plus point! as Kyoto you had to pay to use internet!). The kitchen and eating room are well and clean. I didn't make use of them but you can cook your own meals without a problem.

Finally Takayama is a lovely town to explore. I took a bike from K's house to check around. They were a bit small for a relative tall person like me (haha) but have 6 gears so decent enough to climb hills.

Room Tip: Dormitory is in my opinion a bit cramped for people counting 4. Keep in mind when coming with large...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo