“best guetsthouse I have stayed so far”
Review of Guest House Pongyi

and 1 more site!
Guest House Pongyi
Reviewed 22 July 2014

this guesthouse is located close to the JR station Kanazawa which is very convenient. it is rather small so it is very easy to make new friends. It is an old house which used to be a kimono shop. \therefore the ceilings are a bit low. but the traditional japanese house is great.
the japanese bedding is very comfortable and the guesthouse is very clean. the staff offers also everyday a new activity which is nice.
fridge, kitchen, shared showers and toilets are available. also a common room, a free computer and free wireless.
the staff is the best thing at this guesthouse. Maru-san, masaki-san and yuu-san are the nicest people I have met so far. \they will help you out with everything they can do. thank you so much for making this a great trip.

Room Tip: I have stayed in a dormitory room, but only 4 beds. It was very comfortable. I think they also have...

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My friend and I went to Kanazawa for Kenrokuen and Shikawara-Go, so we decided to stayed at Pongyi because of many positive reviews we'd read before...the place made us feel cozy and comfort, beyond that is the hospitality of the staff 'Maru & Yuu'. When they knew we'd plan to go to shirakawa-go, they offered to book the bus for us which was so convenient for us :)

If I'll go to Kanazawa, again i surely choose Pongyi

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The location is an old kimono merchant's place and the mixed dorm was in an old kimono storage room, which is pretty awesome. There's a little patio overlooking a canal where you can sit and read. The proprietoress, Maru, may be one of the nicest people I've ever met in Kanazawa. But, best of all, I was there one night and it managed to feel...homey. Definitely coming back. That said, the size does make it more cramped and literally like-a-home than any other hostel.

Room Tip: The Japanese room is on the second floor. Er...really all I saw looked good
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have booked Pongyi on few weeks before my departure to Japan as I checked it close to the Kanazawa bus and JR station.. When I arrived in Kanazawa, its not hard to find Pongyi.., I never expect that kind of hospitality because I thought it just like other hostel that I hv been to western countries. Maru~san and Yu~san very nice, eventhough I just stayed for 2 nites, i felt like I knew them for so long (^-')/.. they helped me this and that, and I never felt alone..I learnt to write in Japanese kanji word and made an origami together with other friends in Pongyi. I like the interior part in Pongyi, even the place not too huge but its really nice decor.. Arigatou to both of them and thanks for understand eventhough my japanese very bad haha.. Hope to see u guys again!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I've been in many places around Japan now, and Kanazawa has been my best experience at least about accomodation thanks to Maru and Yuu's extraordinary kindness ! Despite the very few days I've stayed there, I've find help when I needed, very useful advice, wonderful joy, great peace and amazing smile there ! I wish I could stay longer...

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed in Kanazawa for four days, it was our first time staying in a Japanese style room. It was not only amazingly comfortable but in a great location and had the best activities and staff. Maru and Yu made us feel at home and we got to try calligraphy, origami, and a tea ceremony. It`s also a really great place to meet other travelers. Would highly recommend to anyone in the area!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2014

our first trip to japan took myself and my three children from horyuji to kyoto, kanazawa, shiragawago, takayama, narai, fujisan and tokyo. in all the places we stayed (mostly inexpensive hostels) we were provided with simple yet always clean rooms and friendly service. in tough competition pongyi stood out as the friendliest place we stayed. yuu and maru took us in almost as long lost members of the family. instead of numbing our minds with tv we took part in preparing decorations for an upcoming festival. guests before us had started on them and others would continue after us and one day they would float down the creek that's in front of the house.

the house is small in a characterful way and really well situated close to the train station and restaurants. there's a nice neighbourhood onsen a few minutes walk away. we even had a (expensive) parking spot seven (yes, 7!) metres from the front door. mid way through our trip it was wonderful to get to wash our clothes. the one person deck over the creek was great to sit down and watch the life roll by on the street.

thank you maru and yuu - we rested well and would love to return one day!

Room Tip: come with a group of four and grab the whole bunk room for yourselves.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family