All reviews train bus matsumoto station yen wifi lobby
Reviewed 19 June 2018

I'd chance upon Nakanoyu on Tripadvisor and to my pleasant surprise, the prices are quite resaonable as comapared to the rest of the Hotel at Kamikochi area, together with an Onsen, Half board to boot!

I'd initially booked a 2N stay but extended to 3 nights instead beacause its too beautiful there. The staff there are so welcoming to their guests whom are mostly japanaese but they have 1 or 2 that speaks english as well. Im so glad I chanced upon this hidden gem!

Stayed: May 2018
2  Thank AmandarLa
Reviewed 24 May 2018

The good:
- Amazing hospitality

- Comfortable rooms

- Great onsens,  including one outside if you want to bathe while enjoying the fresh mountain air. Onsen is available 24/7, so you can bathe the day away at your leisure.

- Very accessible to Kamicochi, even without a car. There is one shuttle bus to town every morning, which leaves at approximately 8am. To return to the accommodation, catch town bus to bottom of the road that accommodation is on. They will pick you up in their mini van from there - any time of day.

- Great view

The not so good:
- WiFi is sooooooo slow and only available in the lobby.

These next two are part of the Japanese Ryokan experience, so not a criticism, just something to be aware of if you don't think they will work for you:

- Breakfast is served at a set time each day (approximately 7:30am). Staff pack up your bed and transition your room to a sitting room while you're at breakfast and set beds back up after dinner in the evening. You can request that they leave  your beds set up, however, if you're the kind of person who likes to get up at your leisure and have breakfast, this may not be the right place for you.

- The menu for breakfast and dinner are pre-determined, meaning you do not get to order off the menu. You can, however,  let them know of any special requirements  (e.g. vegetarian). During our stay, we had 6 of their meals and, whilst every meal was like a work of art we were very ready to choose our own food by the end!!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Burgle
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Good place for family and friend. Nice view and best service . Beautiful onsen . I wil come back . Reasonable price . Delicious dinner . Very convenience to come. There is bus to pick up in matsumoto town . Enjoy a lot

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

We are staying for 4 nights in this wonderful ryokan. I don't usually write reviews whilst still staying but it is so relaxing here and the weather has become too inclement to hike today that I wanted to make sure I submit a review to commend this delightful onsen nestled into the hillside near kamikochi. From the moment their shuttle picked us up at Matsumoto station the Nakanoyu service goes beyond my expectations. As all other recent contributors have noted, the meals are amazing- a total immersion into Japanese cuisine, with fresh fish and tofu cooked at our table alongside multiple tastes of salad and pickles etc. Despite the rain, relaxing in their guest lounge with picture windows overlooking the mountains with the mist constantly changing the patterns of beautiful autumn colours is delightful. Udon tea is available and attentive staff never intrude but are available to meet any need.
As others have noted this ryokan is somewhat isolated from the main hub so transport involves using their shuttle and combining this with a local bus. This is a lovely place to enjoy and use as a base to explore the surrounding mountains.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vivien W
Reviewed 21 October 2016

We stayed here for two nights and had a day of walking in Kamikochi in between. We phoned them in advance and pre-booked the the 2.45pm shuttle bus from Matsumoto station (West exit) directly to the hotel (about 75 minutes), which was free and very handy.

As soon as we arrived the staff were absolutely excellent and very helpful (and it didn't matter too much that they didn't speak much English). They took our boots and gave us slippers, checked us in, sat us down at a reserved table and sofa (with a fantastic view of the mountains) and gave us a cup of tea. I loved how in the morning they put your boots by the front door with your name next to them :-) The whole time we were there they looked after us so well, in a very relaxed and friendly manner. On the first morning I think they noticed that I wasn't too keen on some of the things we had in the Japanese breakfast (I don't like egg or mushy tofu!) and very kindly the next morning they prepared a massive basket of hot toast and homemade jam, as well as coffee (I didn't notice the Japanese guests getting this). The dinners were great. Even though we'd forgotten to tell them that my husband doesn't eat meat until they'd already served the meal, without any complaints they immediately took away the meat stew and replaced it with a equally lovely fish stew.

The only slightly downside, I think, is that the rooms could do with a bit of updating. However, I soon got over this, as the view of the mountains is excellent, the food was great and the staff super nice.

If you want to be in the centre of Kamikochi this wouldn't suit you, but the shuttle bus in the morning at 8am or 9am was great and only took about 15 minutes. There is also one mountain you can climb directly from the hotel, but nowhere else you can walk to, except along the narrow road - so not advisable. We took a taxi back from Kamikochi and it cost about £30!!! So I'd recommend waiting for the shuttle bus back in the evening (it was at about 5pm from the Nakanoyu bus stop at the bottom of the road).

Kamikochi was beautiful and definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple