“Home for 3 days”

Matsumoto BackPackers
London, United Kingdom
“Home for 3 days”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

There are few guesthouses you come across on your travels that actually feel like 'home'. Though for me this one came pretty close to that. Shuko and Brian have created a very homely base in a small house next to the river close to the centre of the city, perfect for exploring Matsumoto and the surrounding region.

The rooms are all Japanese style (futons on tatami mats) which made a refreshing change from the typical crammed in bunk beds.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank laytrab

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

What are you doing? Get your butt to Matsumoto and check in to MBP. The rave reviews are true. The one false thing on this site are the prices - don't think you need to pay 60 USD, you can pay 30 for a dorm setting.

Because I'm a fool, I only booked one night. But I've stayed in many many hostels and backpacker joints, and I could tell in five minutes that this place was top notch. Clean friendly comfortable super knowledgable and a whole string of other positive adjectives. Don't be dumb like me, stay for several nights and enjoy the city and nature!

• Stayed October 2013
Warsaw, Warszawa, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Great Japanese style hostel, I'll be happy to come back.
As solo traveller I stayed in a tatami mat dorm for 3 people. It was surprisingly comfortable and I had really good sleep.
Good location, close to the train station, city centre and the awesome Matsumoto castle. There's a small common room, which actually IS common, with Shuko and Brian (owners) inviting their guests to spend time together and have a good time. And I actually did - it was the only hostel during my trip to Japan where all guests actually spent time together and talked.
Staff is very friendly and helpful, offering travel tips and recommendation for their guests.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank meecowhy
Ancenis, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

The backpacker is really easy to find, close from the station, you can hear the river from your room! Everything is very clean and tidy, the house has a typical japanese style and the tatami rooms are beautifull. On the top of this the managers Brian and Shuko (I am really sorry if I made a mistake with your names) are AWESOME very nice to chat with you guys! They helped us preparing our trip to Kamikochi and gave us nice advices about Matsumoto so do not hesitate

Room Tip: Higher floors might be quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here for 2 night either side of a trip to Kamikochi. The location of the place is great, within walking distance of the JR Station and also of the castle and main street of Matsumoto.

The rooms are traditional Tatami rooms with futons which you make up yourself. The living area has a table where you sit around on the floor to eat of talk with the hosts and other guests. The kitchen facilities are good, we self catered for both our stays.

The hosts really make this place. Very friendly and helpful, full of tips on walking in Alps and local area. Although this is not a big backpackers there is so much information available for guests - I was really impressed.

The only reason I have given 4 stars for service and for value is that with it being small they were unable to store our packs whilst we went trekking in the Alps. Value is 4 stars as it was quite expensive but I think that is normal for Matsumoto.

I would recommend this place to others.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Matsumoto reminds me the the old Japan. The castle is one of the oldest in Japan . So it worths to stay in a traditional house like this. the tatami room is really relaxing , you can hear and see the river from there.The facilities are also amazing, with modern washing machine and shower. It is extremely clean and close to the station and castle.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Sapporo-shi, Hokkaido, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I loved my night at Matsumoto BackPackers. The owners are extremely helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. They know the train system and how to get to towns all over the region. They know about upcoming festivals and events. They speak fluent English and Japanese. This was my best hostel experience yet. The atmosphere is very home-like, and everyone was very kind and accommodating. I wish I had booked more nights there but my tight schedule kept me moving on this trip around Japan. If I'm ever back in the Matsumoto area, though, I know where I'm staying.

Room Tip: If you can get an upstairs room, you may have a nicer view, but it shouldn't make much of a diff...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends