This traditional long established ryokan (japanese inn) is set in verdant tree covered mountains in of one of Japan's most beautiful protected forests close to Matsumoto/Nagano County.
It has natural hot springs, one public which is used by men and women mixed and 3 baths inside the premises of which each have a men's and a woman's section. Rooms are either Japanese or western style and available at different rates and sizes. This place reflects all you expect from a traditional ryokan. In addition you get breathtaking views, especially in spring and autumn-time.
The 3 restaurants specialized in either Modern Japanese, Kaiseki (traditional Japanese set menu) or French Organic offer top notch cuisine that deserves Michelin Stars - it is however only available to hotel guests. The gourmet experience, setting and attentive service alone is worth the trip. You may remain in your kimono offered by the hotel throughout your stay, should you visit the onsens, the lobby, the restaurants or simply in your room. You'll actually feel a bit declassed wearing western style clothes since 90% of guests wear the Kimono, also at dinnertime. Even though this place is associated with "Relais&Chateaux" it's not pretentious and definitely not a hotel to show off. This place ain't cheap but rates include breakfast and dinner plus you feel pampered by staff throughout your stay so it is good value.
- unique setting and more than attentive service (English spoken!!)
- traditional onsen experience (leave your swimsuits at home)
- the ryokan has its own organic farm - and their harvest is used throughout the cuisine
- 2 days and nights are enough to feel totally reborn
- top notch healthy culinary experience (for the eyes, taste buds and body)
- not easy to get to but their shuttle bus takes only 30 mins from Matsumoto station
- not many young people (no kids at all), this is not really a party place
- Japanese futon on tatami ain't everyone's thing but they have western style rooms too
- no "a la carte" dining but they respect dietary restrictions and allergies
- no wifi except in the library area
- enter the hotel with your shoes. At arrival you will be equipped with hotel slippers.
- wear swimwear in the onsen - it's against the etiquette
- talk loud or shout - it just doesn't fit the culture
- turn up late for brekkie or dinner, they have set times and these will be arranged when you check-in
After all this is one of the most restorative stays in a long time.
Taking the inward turn. Very enjoyable.
Will be back :-)
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Ikyu Corporation, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Agoda, Rakuten, Ctrip TA, Traveltool, S.L.U., JAPANiCAN, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tobira Onsen Myojinkan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Myojinkan Matsumoto Hotel Matsumoto