“Dinner at L'Ultimo”

L'Ultimo
Ranked #6 of 78 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Small intimate restaurant serving a menu of appetizers, pasta, desserts and espresso. Imported and domestic beers and wines available
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My favorite appetizer is the lightly breaded fresh mozzarella w/the homemade marinara sauce.... yummy

1  Thank Lisa8353

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We were Invited by two regulars. This is Italian family cooking at its best. Ravioli with mushrooms and the pasta puttanesca were standouts. The desserts, all homemade, were excellent too. Yes, it's noisy, but, well, festive rather than obnoxious. Service was welcoming and attentive. Definitely make reservations.

1  Thank nordicskier29
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I've been here three times and ad a great meal each time. The beans n greens are awesome. Had three different pasta dishes. All generous and good tasting. Favorite desert so far... Pistachio cake. No fake green color, real pistachios, not too sweet.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

A friend recommended this restaurant to us and we were not disappointed. While it is a tiny place, their food certainly packs a punch. Companion and I are on a search for the best meatballs, and we think we found them here. They were perfect! The rest of our meal was perfect as well. We will be coming back, and also telling everyone we know about this little gem. The only disappointment was that our waitress didn't ask if we wanted dessert - we weren't sure that they offered it, it wasn't on the menu.

1  Thank hitthehighway
Reviewed 12 December 2013

After hearing many, many people rave about L'Ultimo, I finally had the chance to give it a try about two weeks ago. The restaurant itself is quite cute; it is small but feels homey and festive. Service was quick and our waitress was very nice, even though the restaurant became busier and busier as the night went on.
My table had two appetizers to share, the mozzarella and prosciutto and the house greens. The mozzarella was nothing to write home about, and the prosciutto was of a decent quality. (Anyone who has tried fresh mozzarella di bufala has been spoiled, and it's hard to eat anything else.) However, the house greens were really excellent. The greens were sautéed with olives and capers and anchovies. I especially liked the strong anchovy flavor that gave the dish an authentic taste.
The main dishes seem to consist mostly of pasta, and the portions of it are quite abundant. I got gnocchi with a tomato, sausage, roasted red pepper and eggplant sauce. The gnocchi themselves were fine, but the sauce didn't really win me over. I didn't enjoy the way the eggplant was cooked; it could have been much better if it were fried before hand or roasted with olive oil. The other two pasta dishes I tried were fine (the calamari napoletani was spicy and the special that night (pasta with chicken and a prosciutto cream sauce)), though the pasta was far too cooked for me. We had copious amounts leftover, due to the hefty portion size.
The rum/ricotta cake that we had for dessert was really delicious! I would definitely get that again. I also tried the pistachio cake which was alright, but I hands down preferred the rum/ricotta.
Overall, L'Ultimo's food was good, with a few small changes it could be even better. I personally would go back. It is not my favorite place in the world, but the restaurant is probably the best for Italian in Amsterdam.
p.s. Make reservations!!!!