“Perfect Stay, Top Rate Food”
Review of Furuya Ryokan

Furuya Ryokan
Ranked #1 of 108 Hotels / Ryokan in Atami
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect Stay, Top Rate Food”
Reviewed 18 March 2011

This was the most amazing hotel experience ever for me. Everything was simply perfect. On arrival we were served by our host fresh matcha green tea in our suite. The suite was extremely spacious with 4 separate rooms as well as a private Onsen bath that leads out to a zen garden. Everything in the room seemed new and sparkling clean. The amenities were outstanding with the most cutting edge high tech bathroom I've seen (and I've been around Japan) The toiletries were also name brand.

We had our own onsen tub, but we also checked out the communal baths, and it was pretty great. The water here is 100% onsen that is not man-heated, and you can feel the difference and how soft and smooth the water is.

But what truly stood out was the food. The most intricate, elaborate and delicious food I've had in Japan. There were at least 4 courses each with a number of elaborate dishes. They are served to you in your suite so you can stay in your yukata and enjoy it. The whole gamut of flavors presented to blend amazingly together. The food included kobe beef that you fry fresh yourself, lobsters, fugu fish, abalone, sea urchin, a number of different caviars and a number of other high quality seafood. The Wasabe was freshly ground in front of our eyes. We were presented with tasty green tea before dinner and roasted tea during dinner.

The room charge also included breakfast which was equally amazing.

The staff were so nice and hospitable. We didn't understand any Japanese but everything worked out just fine.

I would recommend this Ryokan to anyone who plans to visit a traditional Japanese Inn. This has got to be one of the best Onsen ryokan experiences in Japan. I hope to go again soon!

My heart and wishes go to those affected by the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank jojopop1

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 January 2011

I stayed here in the summerseason of 2008 with my parents, another family with young children and 1 Dutch women. It had been noted that I am Japanese and I travelled to several places in Japan with 'onsen'= hot spring water.

This ryokan provides you an athentic Japanese atmosphere with huge rooms with private baths, 1 indoor and 1 outdoor, which is super relaxing! Of course, there is a another bigger bath in the hotel where you have to share. The view from this is not that special, since this ryokan is in the town. But the water they use for this onsen is 100% natural. It is very common that water of onsen is mixed with tapwater to cover the quantity of many baths, but here you can enjoy the truly hot spring water!

The rooms are spotless clean and VERY big. They have very attend, polite and friendly staffs. It is 5 a 10 min walk to the beach. You can rend parasols from them for free.

It is one of my best ryokan's where I stayed. For budget travellers, this is not the right option, but if you can afford it, it will give you a unforgettable time.

Here is their website (also in english): http://www.atami-furuya.co.jp

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family