“Good one night stay in Shizuoka.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Associa Shizuoka

Hotel Associa Shizuoka
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels / Ryokan in Shizuoka
San Mateo, California
“Good one night stay in Shizuoka.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

My wife and I stayed one night in a twin and were very happy with the room.
The hotel is clean and is an easy 3 minutes from the JR station. Our room
faced Mt. Fuji but it was overcast and did not get to see the mountain.
Plenty of places to eat at the JR station if you do not want to eat at the hotel.
Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: They do not have room service so you will have to eat at the hotel or eat out.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We first visited at Christmas 2012, and returned recently. The hotel is still as comfortable as before, with reasonable sized rooms, and we'll still recommend it. One great development is that there is now free Wifi in the rooms, whereas before it was just in the lobby.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Wasn't sure what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Located next to Shinkansen station, very friendly staff, decent service, good food, room size very acceptable by Japan standards. And heated toilet seats to boot!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I visited Shizuoka in April of 2013 and unfortunately missed this gem and stayed elsewhere. In October of 2013, I pre-booked the Associa before heading to Japan on the basis that it was the only property available.

Unfortunately I suffered a major injury on my journey from Tokyo to Shizuoka, but decided to keep going - due to the holiday period and the difficulty of trying to find another hotel elsewhere. I communicated with the hotel by email - advising that I would be later than expected and asking for ice, extra towels & pillows to be brought to my room.

A trainee staff member member met me outside, took my bags and helped me to the reception. Once checked in, he helped me to my room, then retrieved a bag of ice - the one final item on my request. He then went back downstairs and searched for all possible hospitals that would be open the following day - being a public holiday - and returned with 3 or 4 pages of printed information.

The next morning, I received the same level of concern and help from both a trainee doorperson and a taxi driver waiting at the lobby. Spending a lot of time discussing the best hospital to take me to.

I stayed two days in what I believe to be the best hotel I have stayed in my 6 visits to Japan and I consider the general standard of hotels in Japan to be quite high. I continued to experience the same friendliness and empathy from every staff member that I came in contact with. The food was excellent, the location is near perfect and the service was well beyond my expectations.

I do take issue with comments like "the staff didn't speak English" - well, I was not visiting London, England! I was visiting Shizuoka, Japan! I do not speak Japanese and I certainly do not expect people to learn English just to communicate with me! The majority of help I received was with just a couple of words of English and Japanese!

I do like Shizuoka a lot and hope to return to visit the Honda Design Museum in neighbouring Hamamatsu. I will most definitely stay at the Hotel Shizuoka again and again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank sdalcorn
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had just spent several nights in a much smaller hotel with tiny rooms so we looked for something more roomy. The price difference was not so huge but the room was 3 times bigger and breakfast, which was much more interesting and varied, was included in the room price.
Very clean room although we could smell smoking coming from somewhere (could have been teh air conditioning system?). Staff was very very nice and we did find people at the reception that spoke quite good english. The desk where we could connect to lan internet was a bit small but served our purpose and connection was fast and stable. The closeness to the station was also helpful for our travel plans. Shopping of any possible kind is available all around the hotel.

Room Tip: we found a deal on the internet for a "moderate" double room, meaning a room larger than t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank drlongo
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

Clean hotel right beside station, so in a good convenient location. Reception staff do not speak or understand basic English. Given a smoking room which is not nice for a non-smoker and could not get changed, I think due to lack of language skills. Room extremely small and horrendous strong smell of smoking on all of the 9th floor. No English TV channels (not even CNN) and no room service menu in English.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JDE260767
Munich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

The Associa is a very nice hotel, classy and with mid- sized rooms. Convenient location, good breakfast, nice and friendly staff and for a fair price - not cheap, but not overvalued either.
The hotel has added wireless to the rooms. Unfortunately, the Internet did not work - no access was available, and there was a page from the hotel apologising for the inconvenience.
The beds were very comfortable. And, if you are on a high enough floor and willing to stretch your neck, there is a Fuji view.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends