“Small room, but I like it”

Dormy Inn Express Matsue
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels / Ryokan in Matsue
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I made my reservation online about an hour before I arrived at the hotel. Price was about JPY12,000 which is quite a lot, but I was happy to have found somewhere reasonably central. It turned out that I needed to stay an extra night but this only cost JPY6,000. It seems that booking over the internet with Agoda etc is a pricey way to do it, but nonetheless I was pleased with the much cheaper second night.

The staff at reception are friendly and speak a bit of English.

The room is a bit small and I am disappointed to be facing a side building, so it is very dark with no natural light. However, those are all the drawbacks - the room itself is immaculate with a lot of thoughtful touches. It has a flatscreen TV, nice sound system, fridge etc. The bathroom is again small but perfectly clean. I really like sitting in the circular bath watching the wall mounted TV. There is even a small rubber duck for the bath!

So, I recommend this place but with two caveats;
1. If you don't need to book online, it might be worth the risk and turn up. It would have saved me some money.
2. If you want some natural sunlight, you had better ask for a street facing view (it won't be noisy as the street is not busy day or night)

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Street facing room is best if you need natural sunlight.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Unusual hotel. Staff were friendly. The room was the smallest we stayed in whilst touring Japan. You could nearly touch the building next door from the window. Offered noodles after 9.30pm, didn't try, but there were people having the noodles when we walked in from dinner.

Room Tip: if you want a view, don't stay here, you will only see the grey wall of the building next door.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was the quirkiest hotel we have ever stayed in in Japan. Close to the railway station the amenities are all excellent. The free coffee in the lobby and the free noodles at 9.30 pm at night are both great. We even got free apples offered and gratefully received.
The staff were efficient friendly and hospitable. The Breakfast staff were efficient and we had breakfast one morning but not the second (because we had to leave really early and regretted not having such a good breakfast).
The room was small, clean and the quirkiest accommodation we had ever seen. The bath was amazing and the TV in the bathroom was amazing. The Star guide and the water height indicator were unique.
I recommend this hotel to everyone. A novel and unique experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2013

It's a good hotel in the mid-priced range. The room is small as in most Japanese hotels but comfortable and clean. Wi-Fi signal is perfect and their English is pretty good. It's a 5-minute walk from Matsue JR Station, with a big sign, easy to find. And ask for directions to the nearby restaurant Akanedoki if you like fish. It's literally around the corner and fish they serve is so fresh there's no word to describe it. But all's in Japanese, even the prices

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Excellent little hotel, spotlessly clean and new. Well placed close to the station- less than 5 minutes walk. I stayed for 5 days in summer, when it was mainly occupied with families with young children. Evening free noodles were popular (and good) and the breakfast very good. Overall excellent value for money
with the usual amenities of such a hotel (but no common bath, as have many Dormy Inns).
The title refers to the bathroom which is packed full of gadgets: a portable planetarium, rubber duck and a little television you can watch in the bath, but this last is really small (even by Japanese business hotel standards): as a normal size adult I could only fit about half my body underwater in at once. But it was a lot of fun!

Room Tip: My room was very confortable and quiet, but with no view ( it looked out on the wall of the buildin...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Going on the assumption that any "business hotel" in Japan will have small rooms and basic furnishings, this Dormy Inn Express fits the description. With that in mind, we found it to be an outstanding value.

The rooms are modern with most amenities a traveler would require today. The Japanese-style room baths are especially nice and up to date.

Service was good, and our stay did include a basic Japanese breakfast. We had a car, and parking, though a bit of a squeeze, was close by at the rear of the hotel. For rail travelers, it is only a short walk to JR Matsue Station, very convenient. Also within walking distance are restaurants and other entertainment, yet the hotel was quiet. We were quite pleased having chosen this Dormy Inn for our Friday night stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This was the first time I stayed at a Dormy Inn and I will definately be looking out for them in other cities of Japan on my next visit.
I arrived at the Matsue JR station and walked to the hotel. I had problems with my GPS and so had to navigate by memory, but the Inn is so close to the station that you only make a left after exiting the station building and walk about 200m down the road. It is very clearly signposted and even if you are over the canal near the castle you can spot the sign, which makes it easy to find your way back.
I was very pleasantly surpised to see how modern the Inn was. There is free WIFI in the reception area with plently of seats to sit at and multi-charges should you need to charge your device. Breakfast is also to the right of the reception area and its really a great breakfast, Japanese style of course but some of the best Soba noodles and tempura I have had. The rooms are small, but thi is the norm in Japan as anyone would know. However there is a double door inside the room so the passagways are much quieter.... no TV or music noise emanating from the rooms. The bathroom is compact but has all you have need of including gels, shampoo etc and there is even a flat screen TV should you wish to watch something while in the shower/bath. Theres also some Milky Way projection gadget which you can use in the bathroom, but I did not use that. They have VOD with a good selection of movies at a reasonable price I guess. The room also has an aircon and even a docking station for your mac device. There is a LAN cable if you have a PC. The room I stayed in had not view, unless you call looking at the next building a meter or two away a good view! However that was not important to me.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a basket of oranges next to the elevator should you want to have one, and as anyone would know, fruit is very expensive in Japan so I did help myself to one! They also have complimentary toothbrushes, hair brushes and more at the elevators should you have forgotten yours.
The location is very central to the station and it is only a couple minutes walk to the main tourist attractions (the samurai castle and district). Its also in a very quiet area and I heard no road or other noise at night.
I would highly recommend the Dormy Inn Express in Matsue if you find yourself in the area. (Its a good starting point to visit the Adachi Museum, which is why I was there).

Room Tip: I did not choose a room. I booked through booking.com and got a really good price. Perhaps you can c...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo