“We won't stay again!”

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels / Ryokan in Chitose
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I selected this hotel hastily after travel arrangements changed. We were arriving
after 8 pm and leaving the next morning, so really wanted somewhere with a hot shower, comfortable bed, a restaurant for dinner and breakfast, had wifi and a free airport shuttle. It met all those requirements well.
However, it had one major flaw.
The inescapable smell of cigarette smoke. It filled corridors, lifts, room and restaurant. It was awful and took days to lose the smell from our clothes.
We won't return simply because of the cigarette smell.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you are a non smoker!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
ホテルウィングインターナショナル千歳, フロント at Hotel Wing International Chitose, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

I apologize for the smell of cigarette .
I had you be satisfied with a hot shower,
comfortable bed, a restaurant for dinner and breakfast,
had wifi and a free airport shuttle with much trouble,
All became spoilt by the smell of cigarette.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Wing International Chitose

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Extremely long day starting at 3am for taxi pick up 4am. Flight Mel-Syd 6am, Syd-Tokyo 9.15am arriving Tokyo time 5pm with 1 and a half hours to clear immigration and customs, collect bags and walk to domestic terminal, check in bags and get to gate for 6.30pm flight Tokyo-New Chitose. This is the last flight leaving Tokyo to New Chitose so if we missed this flight, that’s it. Many others were also panicking but being many others, the plane would surely not leave without us. Immigration took nearly an hour and that was us asking to jump queue to catch this flight. After collecting bags, we raced to the domestic terminal which is basically out of doors to the left and a 10 min walk or a 5 min run. Checked in bags and went upstairs to clear scans and only had 5 mins to get to the lounge for a quick drink and piss. Made our way to the Gate but also had to get a bus to the plane. It was 6.35pm and others were still coming through. Plane did not leave till 7.35pm anyway.

On arrival, many Australians were also going to Niseko but they went straight from New Chitose airport to the desk of Hokkaido Resort liner or White liner to get the bus directly to Niseko same night, would be arriving past midnight. We had thought of this but decided that being in our mid 50s, and hubby with bung knees, that we would rest well after an extremely long day flying with such an early start and not enough good rest (although we did sleep on plane).

When we booked this Hotel about 4 months before our arrival, we read in their website about a free shuttle from airport to hotel, we had contacted them via email more than a dozen times but no replies. We then gave up and decided to call them on arrival however with the chaos on arrival and no time to do so, we arrived at New Chitose airport without transport to hotel.

We went to the airport information desk and lady told us to go to Bus Stop 30 which is at the other end of the terminal. We walked all the way there and asked all the bus drivers but none could speak English. We showed them the documents but only got replies in Japanese – pointless. I just kept asking passers-by and eventually got a guy who could speak English only marginally. He kindly called hotel (Information desk is way too far to be walking back to with all our luggage) and was told to wait 40 mins for the bus. After such a long day, 40 mins wait is not what you want to be doing – it’s now 9.30pm and we just wanted to get to hotel so we walked to taxi stand. Ride was about 10 mins and cost was A$17-$20 which is not cheap.

Wouldn’t need to come back here. Hotel reeks of cigarettes. Not much opened but perhaps because it was 10.30pm - by the time we got taxi ride, checked in, bags in room, rugged up and walked. Small hotel in town with 8 floors – very low ceilings and door frames. Small room and very small bathroom. Clean though. Perhaps enough for what you need. Only Japanese Green Tea available. No water bottles, no safe deposit box. Bed very low (calf height), bed and pillow hard. We were so tired and delirious, we couldn’t find other pillows so slept on the 2 rock pillows provided on bed that had rice/wheat(??) stuffed. Still couldn’t find the temperature control as room was hot. We could either have it low, med or high or off. Next morning, we saw 2 normal pillows in “wardrobe”. Free fast wifi connection. Half sized length bath tub but deep. Water pressure and hot water system great. Lots of eateries around.

We got the timetable from reception for the free shuttle to airport and was out of here to get the Hokkaido Resortliner bus to Niseko (see my reviews on this). We did not bother with breakfast at hotel as there were more choices at the airport.

Someone should reply to emails if you are going to have your contact email address listed on your website. Also if you have listed free shuttle service, and not replying to emails to organise how to arrange for this, your website should give timetables and instructions ie: go to bus stop number 30 and wait etc., even include a map. This costed us a taxi ride unnecessarily and wasted at least 30-45 mins of our time, but would have been more if we had waited for the bus.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tweetcoz

I feel serious and imagine that it arrived at the hotel.
I am sorry for not sending a reply, although the inquiry was obtained by e-mail repeatedly.
It is more intelligible and detailed.
Guidance to a hotel or a shuttle bus should have been carried out.
I teach so that English may be spoken also with the driver of a shuttle bus.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed at the hotel because of its proximity to the airport and reasonable price. Before we arrived, I emailed the hotel several times about the shuttle, and never got a reply. I even got an email (in English) from the hotel, saying that if I had questions to contact them, and when I did I never heard back. Having said that, it wasn't much of a problem to figure out the shuttle once we got to the airport. The hotel itself was in OK condition, and the service was generally pretty good (breakfast was very good). But wow, that is truly the most cigarette-reeking hotel I have ever encountered. The lobby smelled so bad, we would pass through as quickly as possible. If staled old cigarette smoke smell doesn't bother you, then this hotel is a good choice. If it really bothers you, I suggest you avoid it. If you're in the middle, like I am, I suggest you really consider your options.

I might have given the hotel 5 stars for the combination of location, value, and overall amenities, but wow, it really smells BAD.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

I apologize for the smell of cigarette .
I had you be satisfied hotel itself , and the service was generally and breakfast,
had wifi and a free airport shuttle with much trouble,
All became spoilt by the smell of cigarette.

I am sorry for not replying to the mail from you.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Hotel is pretty cheap to accommodate 3 people overnight stays. We booked thru hotel website to stay here two overnights as we arrived Hokkaido from US and the last night of our visit before we left Hokkaido for next country. Hotel itself is regular business hotel, nothing special to expect, but it is pretty convenient with free shuttle to pick us up and drop us off to the airport. Also hotel allowed us to leave our three 26" luggages for several days while we tour Hokkaido. The breakfast had quite a few selections for Japanese and western styles, all three of us enjoyed it.

When I made the reservation, I accidentally counted wrong on the return date, I didn't catch it until a few weeks later when I couldn't find a hotel room available for three people. I notify hotel thru email, and they help me with the change with original rate we had. However we encounter a heavy rain on 8/9/13, which caused the suspension of our JR train from Sapporo to Hakodate. We decided not to continue our trip to Hakodate and left Japan earlier. We had a very short notice to hotel and hopefully the hotel wouldn't charge us for another night of stay which they didn't.

I will definitely stay here again next time if I am coming back to Hokkaido.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Chen H
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stayed in a single and must say I was pretty surprised by how spanking clean the room and toilet were plus the fact that the bed was super comfy. Appreciated how well thought out the amenities were arranged to maximize the small space and the use of white throughout to create a sense of spaciousness. Loved the wallpaper used. Excellent service and being near to the airport is a great plus. I was surprised cos the reception area looked kind of dark and shabby, probably from the materials used for the walls.

One downside was the corridor was reeking of cigarette smoke which leaked into my non-smoking room. Had to use toilet paper to stuff all around the door frame after settling in for the night and glad that worked. Should look into improving the ventilation of the corridors.

Room Tip: If you are fussy about non-smoking rooms, make sure to specify your request clearly.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ssw9
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Overall pretty good for the super cheap price and for overnight accommodation. We stayed here overnight as we had come from Niseko and was catching an early morning flight out to Tokyo in the morning so it was very convenient. The staff were very helpful but many of them struggle with english if you have any issues like we had (my husband had left huis passport in our hotel back in Niseko) it took awhile to communicate to them that we needed them to call the hotel and ensure the passport was there. Free shuttle service to and from Chitose airport is very good and takes about 10 minutes to get there, but do plan and prebook this service with the hotel. Rooms were small but clean - the bed was foam and firm and I have read complaints about them, but I have a very bad back and it was the first time in ages that I woke up with no back pain - so for me they were fine. The only down side for me is that the rooms are very thin and you do get a lot of noise into them from the roads and corridors. Good showers - all round a comfortable hotel and I would stay again - nothing long term though.We did not eat here. Oh and on a side note dont use the channel control on the right hand side unless you are in for some xrated veiwing! ;) I got quite a shock, was not expecting to see what I saw, hahaha.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clairer23
Reviewed 28 February 2013

We had one night booked for Chitose as we were travelling through to Niseko.

For the very reasonable price we paid, we weren't holding our breath on the accommodation. The accommodation itself was warm, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was included (which we weren't expecting).

The staff here were exceptional and feel that this hotel was definitely a small gem we had found.

Furthermore, it was only a 5 minute walk from the train station - which was highly useful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple