“Won't Be Back Soon”

Dining options: Reservations
Roscoe, New York
“Won't Be Back Soon”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

While I've enjoyed dining at the Andes Hotel in the past, my last two visits have been major disappointments. The Easter brunch was unimpressive with lukewarm food that was barely acceptable. Most recently I was part of a party of six. The appetizers were oaky with the smoked trout platter enjoyable but the popcorn chicken dry and too dark. The stout marinated flank steak was as tough as an old shoe and the root vegetables were mushy and flavorless. The veal ragout was a better choice but far from exceptional. The wine was good as was the ice cream but not much skill is required to uncork a bottle or scoop out some ice cream. The usually reliable flourless chocolate cake was dry and stale. The service was okay though not especially attentive. I do note that there was some sort of dinner going on in the next room but based on this experience I will not be coming back any time soon.

The restaurant business is competitive although there aren't too many fine dining establishments in that area. Luckily, there is the promise of an alternative as Two Old Tarts is supposed to open later this month. I hope my past two visits were aberrations. If not, I will take my business and my guests, elsewhere.

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank Manwitch

Hoboken, New Jersey
“I was in hell...horrible experience!”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I called the Andes Hotel a week in advance to book a night stay. I told them I was reviewing the hotel to see if I thought guests traveling from out of town would like stay there for a wedding I am having in area. When I arrived, it was unclear where to check in, but it was at the bar. After checking in, I went to the room to find it unclean - food crumbs under the beds, hair on top, and blankets looking ruffed up. The decor is let's say is very tired and in need of updating. As a result of the lack of updating, the room appears very dirty. I went to shower and could not get hot water! When I called the front desk all the manager could say is "I don't know what to do". Then had a horrible time getting any heat to turn on and froze the whole night. Only advice was to hold down button on thermastat! Overall, very uncomfortable and would never recommend it!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank R L
“Nice Place to Eat in a Nice Little Village.”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I have wanted to eat here for a few years since my first visit to Andes. Today was the day! I love old hotels! The menu is small, but should have something for everyone. I had the bbq pulled pork sandwich, it came with coleslaw and fries for $11.00. Unfortunately, the fries and sandwich were not really hot when it arrived, but it was still good.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank JuneNY
New York City, New York
“On the Disappointing Side of Decent”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Andes Hotel provided a fairly clean and spacious room in a charming neighborhood but failed to deliver on other promises. Perhaps most importantly, the heat in our room was broken. A space heather was provided but it failed to heat the entire space and, in the areas that it did heat, we seemed to have the option of "frigid" or "sweltering." Additionally, we were warned that there would be no cell phone reception but told that the hotel provided free WiFi--but apparently the WiFi signal was too weak to reach our room (#10), the farthest from the main building. Whether it was the set that appeared to be from the late nineties or poor cable connections, our television behaved "erratically" at best, blinking from color to black and white and consistently emitting a low hiss. Lastly, the rooms share a parking lot with the adjacent tavern, which meant having to deal with a lot of late night, drunken noise.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank SGGNYC
Bronx, New York
“Relaxing lunch”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Very enjoyable afternoon lunch with my wife. Pleasant atmosphere inside, with an interesting decor. Food was wonderful, and the prices were pretty reasonable

• Visited July 2013