“Excellent Location”

Smile Hotel Hakodate
Ranked #43 of 96 Hotels / Ryokan in Hakodate
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The location is excellent. Can't miss it as soon as I walk out of the JR station. It is very nice that the hotel provide free internet. Coin laundry and a microwave are available on the ground floor. I can warm up my take out and enjoy my food while washing my clothes. The room is small but acceptable. However, the room looks very old. The wall is dirty. The shower gel bottles are dusty. The washroom is stinky. It needs update and renovation. I stay for one night and I think it is enough.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MickyMouseTour

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I chose this hotel because it's literally located just across the Hakodate JR Station and I needed to catch early train.

Hakodate Ropeway Station is doable by walking. I walked there around 20-25 minutes. Then I walked back passing the russian churches and the bay area. There's a tram station nearby too.

I stayed in single bed room. Like all standard accommodation in Japan, it is small and compact. BUT the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was squeaky clean and the hot water ran well. I didn't need the A/C since the weather was cool at night. So no problem there.

I would recommend staying here if you have more in budget. I got 3,300 Yen/night rate. During my trip in Japan, this is the only time I stayed in a hotel. The rest nights were in guesthouse/hostel.

For tall travelers, the bathroom ceiling might be a little bit low. I'm 160 cm and when I stood in the bathtub, I could touch the ceiling without stretching my arm.

The staff were nice.
They didn't have adaptors for your electric devices, so do not forget that in Japan they use 2 thin plug.

Room Tip: I stayed in single bed room in the 4th floor. The wall was pretty thin but fortunately no one was no...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Namaeuro
Reviewed 14 May 2013

The location of this hotel can't be faulted, right in front of JR Hakodate station. Very easy for first time visitors. And it's close to everything you need. I found the staff warm, friendly and helpful. The bed was also quite comfortable. However my room was located next to the lift and a bit noisy. I would normally give my overall rating as poor, however I am satisfied with what I received for the price I paid.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Jason M
Reviewed 5 May 2013

The room is unbelievably stinks of cigarette . I couldn't breathe. Can't turn around in the bathroom. Stinks everywhere. No air. Claustrophobic in the bathroom. No character, not even good enough to crush in for a night. Been here two hours can't wait to check out. Staff was friendly. Walls are paper thin. Can't even suggest it if you are on a business, never mind for holiday. Will leave u no memory. I'm feeling ill just lying in bed.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Babylam
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed here for one night. This hotel's location is so great. Just opposite JR Hakodate station.I came alone but I got twins bed room. Very budget hotel in Japan. If I have chance to go to Hakodate again,I'll stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Located just across JR Hakodate Station, it makes a good location for amateur travellers. The walk to Hakodate Morning Market is incredibly short and you can eat lots of fresh seafood.

The hotel is located in the central and within walking distrance to all the surrounding tourist spots.

I left a mobile phone charger in the previous hotel and requested that the concierge to help arrange for Ta-Q-Bin to send it over the next day, they helped

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank lpypeiying
Reviewed 14 March 2013

enjoyed staying at the smile hotel, washers and dryers, internet and they also morning buffet. very close to train station. this hotel was better than the hostel or spa we stayed at and cheaper. as long as you're sleeping . tv and several chanels

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family