“one of the best places I have stayed in Hokkaido”

Hakodate Danshaku Club
Ranked #4 of 96 Hotels / Ryokan in Hakodate
Singapore, Singapore
“one of the best places I have stayed in Hokkaido”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

i was on a short trip(5 nights) to Hokkaido with friends, so we could only stay a night (Jun 18) at Hakodate. And it was the best night of the trip! Our group booked two twin rooms, and we were pleasantly surprised that the rooms was more like a serviced apartments, each with its own well equipped kitchenette, balcony, separate bedroom and bathroom and living room. And this was for a very competitive price.
The rooms were clean, modern and very comfortable. The electronic bathtub control was also a nice touch.
Added to that a decent view of Mt Hakodate and the sea, and the close proximity to the Hakodate morning market (it is a must visit spot in the early morning) and this hotel was just perfect.

I would also like to commend the hotel staff for their excellent service. Reception at front desk was superb, polite, and efficient, yet warm. I left behind my T-shirt when I checked out, and wrote an email the next day to ask them for assistance. The staff responded promptly and sent my T-shirt via express mail to Sapporo where I was staying for the next two days; I am happy I got my T-shirt back the next day.

I will definitely stay with Hakodate Danshaku Club the next time I visit Hakodate, and recommend my friends to stay with them.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
函館男爵倶楽部, 広報 at Hakodate Danshaku Club, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Dear Nic-STY

We are very happy that you received your T-shirts while you were in Sapporo. Hakodate is one of the popular places to visit for Japanese people and even people from other countries, and it is the best season to come now.

Hotel & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My friends and I stayed in the hotel for one night, and one word for this hotel is "Ichiban". From the time I entered the hotel to checking out, the experience is awesome. First, the room is very spacious.

It has a small kitchenette with a cooker, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, cutleries and dish washing stuff.

The toilet is awesome, I am very particular about toilet, and this toilet simply exceeded my expectation. Not only is it spacious, it has everything you need, from toothbrush to shampoo, conditioner, body soap, cotton buds, shavers and even bath salts.

Their bathroom has a bath tub which you can convert it into your mini onsen! How coold is that!

It is located next to the morning Hakodate market and walking over in the morning is a breeze.

My room faced the mountain view, when the sky is clear, I can even see Mount Hakodate!

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Carpark are chargeable! But it is just next to the hotel, super convenient
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
函館男爵倶楽部, 広報 at Hakodate Danshaku Club, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear Dgoh359,

I would like to say thank you for staying with us at the Hakodoate Danshaku-Club Hotel & Resorts. We hope that your stay was pleasant and that our accommodations and services were acceptable to you.

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are so happy to hear that. Personally, I like to hear “Ichiban”. That is great compliment.

Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of a two week trip in Japan. Choice the property mainly based on Trip Advisor reviews and it was a good choice for us.

Location is good - 3 blocks from the train station and a relatively easy walk overall to the tourist area (i.e Brick Warehouse, churches, etc.).

No problem checking in with our deficit of Japanese - one woman at the front desk had previously listed in the US and had essentially fluent English. She was extremely helpful to us and made dinner reservations one night.

Rooms are fine. We had a fairly large room with two beds, small kitchen, sitting area, bathroom, balcony. Some reviews described the rooms as great. I wouldn't quite go that far. They are clean but fairly basic and realize that your view is really more of a parking lot versus the waterfront. That being said, we found the place very comfortable and the sitting room worked fine to share some wine prior to heading to dinner one night.

In terms of breakfast, we did the western breakfast the first day and the 2nd day took one of their breakfast coupons that you can use for 6 or so places in the fish market that is very close to hotel. Western breakfast was very nice and perhaps because we had great Japanese breakfasts for 3 days at a ryokan we had stayed in prior to arriving in Hakodate, we didn't really like the breakfast in the fish market the 2nd morning. While they give you a map, it's still pretty hard to find if you can't speak/read Japanese. The market itself felt less like the Tokyo fishmarket and more like Thailand - i.e folks fairly aggressive in trying to sell to you.

All in all we would recommend the hotel to others in Hakodate. Finally, we liked Hakodate quite a bit - sort of a wild card at the end of our trip but there it is a nice different sort of city to visit in Japan and glad we made it part of our trip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
函館男爵倶楽部, 広報 at Hakodate Danshaku Club, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear rogerslb,

I would like to say thank you for staying with us at the Hakdoate Danshaku-Club Hotel & Resorts. We hope that your stay was pleasant and that our accommodations and services were acceptable to you. In terms of breakfast, we are going to make a map in English to find a restaurant easily. I understand how you feel when you travel in a foreign country. We definitely should have it. Thank you again for choosing Hakodate Danshaku-Club and Resorts, and we hope to see you soon.

TAIWAN
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights, Great location , next to the JR station and the morning market. Best of all, beside the 70 square room, a kitchen included. After a days trip, we cook some dinner and sea food bought in the morning.If I had chance to visit Hakodate, here will be my first choice.

Room Tip: 1.Choose the 70 square room, if more than 3 people. 2.Go to supermarket located in the B1 of MUJI,o...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank DDS.LO
函館男爵倶楽部, 広報 at Hakodate Danshaku Club, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear DDS.LO,

Thank you for your recent stay at Hakodate Danshaku-Club Hotel & Resorts. We hope that your stay was pleasant and that our accommodations and services were acceptable to you. That was a great idea to cook some dinner in the kitchen in your room. I hope that you enjoyed it so much. Again, thank you for choosing Hakodate Danshaku-Club and Resorts, and we hope to see you again soon.

With kind regards,

Hotel & Resorts.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We didn't really know what to expect and loved what we found. The hotel is in an excellent location next to the fish market. The staff was helpful and in particular one woman spoke an excellent English. Breakfast was great - we did not eat in the hotel, but were given vouchers for a choice of six restaurants in the market. Fantastic! The room was comfortable and clean and we enjoyed having the spa tub (although it took us a couple of tries to make it work right). The room also had a kitchenette, which would be great for a longer stay. Free parking also.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
函館男爵倶楽部, 広報担当 at Hakodate Danshaku Club, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Dear Emiana, I would like to say thank you for staying with us at the Hakdoate Danshaku-Club Hotel & Resorts. We hope you enjoyed your stay and that hotel property and staff exceeded your expectations. Also, I hope that you enjoyed driving in Hokkaido. Shiretoko is one of my favorite places to visit and I am sure that you had a wonderful time there. In Hakodate, it is getting warmer and warmer and the cherry blossom season has come soon.Thank you again for choosing Hakodate Danshaku-Club and Resorts, and we hope to see you again soon! Sincerely, Tomomi Koyama Hakodate Danshaku-Club Hotel & Resorts
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here in February and loved it. The location is perfect if you are traveling by train - it is just a few blocks from the JR train station and bus station, and it is just around the corner from the Morning Markets, the waterfront, lots of restaurants and izakayas (bars with yummy pub grub like yakitori). Our room was very large with shoji like movable walls that walled off the bedroom area nicely in case of early risers. The room had a nice bath with unlimited very hot water and a nice tub with a view of Mt Hakodate. It also included a kitchenette and a separate small toilet room. Lots to see and do in the area. While we were there, we watched the snow fall - and fall and when the weather broke we walked all over. We took the bus (stop #4 from the JR station) to the Mt Hakodate ropeway, enjoyed the views, then took an inexpensive cab to the Hakodate Beer Hall, for some tasty locally brewed beer. Super friendly service, not much english, but then again, I dont have much Japanese. The perfect place to stay a few days on a train trip to Hokkaido.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe room - it comes with a balcony and a great view of Mt Hakodate and the harbor
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jonbsan
San Antonio TX
Reviewed 15 February 2010

This hotel is located right next to the Morning Market where we ate grilled sea urchin and scallops for breakfast. Lots of octupus and hairy crab as well. The hotel is a three minute walk from JR Hakodate station. Bear right out of the station's West Exit, past the end of the Hotel Loisir closest to that station exit, continue down the street for about three blocks and the Danshaku will be on your right. Check-in was quick (no English). The rooms are simply phenomenal with the bedrooms separated off from the living area and with separate kitchen and bathroom (which had a jacuzzi). Nice views of the harbor and Mt. Hakodate from the rooms on the south side of the building.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo