“Exceptional service and outstanding views”

Hotel Neushloss Otaru
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels / Ryokan in Otaru
Singapore
“Exceptional service and outstanding views”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

The service here is exceptional! Due to its location on a cliff that is about a 15 mins car ride away from the main city of Otaru, the hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service every hour. Which is very nice of them. However, because I was too caught up in their public bath and I got distracted by the amazing aquarium nearby, I cancelled and rescheduled the shuttle service I had reserved, twice in the same day. It was so troublesome of us and I really felt bad about it, but the hotel staff readily changed the reservations for us with a smile! I could not be more grateful.

The room is AMAZING. The view is breathtaking and you have your own private hot bath overlooking the same amazing. The bed is comfortable but the pillows are too flat for my liking. The decor is alright, done in an European style that is rather outdated but at least it is well-maintained.

Location-wise, there is really nothing to do. The bar is empty and there is no entertainment. Just a stone's throw away from the hotel is the Otaru Aquarium. It is worth a visit because they have many activities available such as feeding time and show times by the dolphins / seals / otters and other marine mammals. You can easily spend half a day or more here.

Food-wise, it is a French hotel so the only restaurant is a French restaurant. The food is passable but I really wanted to eat Japanese so I headed to Otaru main town instead.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 30 December 2010

We booked this hotel because we want to try its private onsen bath inside the room. There are many hotels of this kind but of Japanese style which can be found easily. This hotel is of western style. Our room rate included both breakfast and dinner. Both breakfast and dinner are of good quality and the coffee is great. The service is 5 star as well. More importantly, you can have great view both inside the room and outside the hotel.

If you do not drive, you may need to take the hotel’s shuttle.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Kapellbruecke
bobo
Reviewed 10 April 2010

One of my friend recommend this hotel to us. We booked directly with the hotel. As this was one of the stops of my Winter trip, it took us some time to fix everything while we changed our booking date for several times. They responsed promptly each time patiently. My spouse is allergy to food. I made my request for special food and they did not disappoint us. We don't speak Japanese but they got the record properly marked and taken care of. They assigned a mandarin speaking waitress to serve our dinner on the 1st night. I thought she was day off on the other day. We hardly found English speaking staff in hotels in Hokkaido while we found serveral frontcounter staff there to be able to speak simple English. I found their written English is better than spoken English. So, pls write to them to make your request in advance.

The only disappontment is the room layout. The total area is sufficucient while we could not found place to put our suit cases inside the bedroom. There is not sufficient desktop space for us to place our stuff... camera, laptop..

The view is good, but the window is dirty. It may be due to the harsh weather.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bobo066
Auburn, California
Reviewed 22 November 2009

My 8-year-old son and I stayed here for 4 nights in July. I have mixed feelings about this hotel (by the way, Tripadvisor, the name you have is misspelled. It is Neuschloss, so please correct it).

We chose this hotel because of its location, overlooking the Sea of Japan, which it does and yes, the sea view made staying here worthwhile. Unfortunately, most rooms, including ours, don't have balconies and the living room window doesn't open. I did find that the bathroom window DOES open, which makes the Japanese style big bath extra nice. What a beautiful view and great bath!

Back to the living room window, it had ugly caulking all around, which lowered the look of "good quality" in the room. The beds were "European style" in look, but had the Japanese style thin mattress instead of the big mattress/box spring. Sleeping on the beds was comfortable though.

We chose Otaru as a destination in Hokkaido because of the Sea of Japan location and its noteriety for good sushi. My son likes trains, so we took the sleeper train from Kyoto to Sapporo and the local train from Sapporo to Otaru. From Otaru, we took the hotel's van, which needs to be booked either ahead of time or called from the train station. The van has certain times, so be aware of that. We could have taken a taxi and that's probably the best idea because the hotel's staff speak VERY little English (sadly, we don't speak Japanese).

So, Otaru was a great choice and Hotel Neuschloss Otaru was an okay choice. After the good English spoken at our hotels in Tokyo (Ritz-Carlton) and Kyoto (Yuzuya Ryokan and also, Three Sisters Annex), the language issue was disconcerting. This hotel models itself as "European style" , so it would be a good idea to have more languages spoken/understood here. Stil, there are ways to make oneself understood and we managed. After lots of giggling by the front desk staff when it was realized we didn't speak the same language (I wasn't giggling after a 22 hour train ride), we got to our room.

The view was as promised and hoped for. However, the caulking around the windows should be taken care of to look better. Also, the fact that the window didn't open to the sea air was a disappointment. It's probably due to the sometimes harsh weather? though our weather was near perfect. The bath was beautiful, with the nice big, marble Japanese style soaking bath we wanted. After a couple days, I did discover that the bathroom windows open, so WOW, that was great.

Our room price included breakfast and dinner each night. A travel agent in Tokyo booked it for me, so I'm not sure if there's an option for no dinner. In town are many good sushi restaurants and the hotel's fare was European style, many-course meals. The meals were delicious, but too much food for an 8year-old and with many courses, it took too long for an 8year-old. We noticed there were many romantic couples and on the weekend, quite a few families dining here. That's great for some, but we'd rather eat less and faster. Service was good- the staff tried to please, dealing as best they could with the language barrier.

We chose Japanese style breakfast on the first morning, but after that had the "American style, which was really, European stye ie German/English (think limp meats, cheeses, odd scrambled eggs). I asked for the bacon to be cooked crisper, but don't expect American Style crispy bacon. We got it the first morning after asking for the crisper cooking, but on consequent mornings, still very limp bacon. By the last morning, I was so annoyed to be once again faced with the limp bacon that I really lowered my assessment of this hotel over it. From past experiences in other hotels/cities in Japan (and Europe, actually), once a guest asks for a breakfast food to be done a certain way, the staff "knows" to do it that way during that guest's stay. At Nueschloss, it was always the same tray of food. Hotel staff, please get to "know" your guests and try to please them, yes? I'm not asking for mind-reading, but once it's established I like crispy bacon (for example), please bring me crispy bacon. This did happen in all our previous hotels in Japan, so either we were spoiled or the other hotels had higher service standards? I don't know. Both my son and I are easy-going about food, so I'm not sure why this was such a big issue- maybe because I didn't feel special/valued?

A great thing about the hotel's location was the beautiful hike/hikes to be had just outside the hotel. My child and I walked for hours through a forest, near the sea (great views!), Otaru nature at its best. It was wonderful! We came across other hikers/walkers and some mountain climbers who came another way! Yes, you need to be reasonably fit and careful to do it. There are many ways to slip and tumble WAY DOWN. I highly recommend this hike for kids 8 and over only.

This hotel is not in town, which we liked, but it would not be for some. We went to town by hotel van, taxi and once, the local bus (it was great). We're great walkers, but it's too far to walk to town.

So, I'd stay here again, but I'd know it would be a bit of a chore and not the perfection we had experienced in Tokyo and Kyoto.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank traveliseducational
HKG
Reviewed 23 August 2009

It was all by chance that we found this hotel from a tourist guide book in Japanese. We were so attracted by the description "all guestrooms have their private hotspring", and it does have a clean and nice open bath. The hotel locates at a distant highland from the main JR station, with amazing seaview and cliff that we would never forget. It is definitely a fortune to see the sunset there. Guestrooms are luxurious with every detail - decoration, beds, tatami, cups, toilet accessories, and a sweet welcome biscuit. We have had fine dining experience with a fusion French dinner and traditional Japanese breakfast. In Hokkaido areas English is not a common language, but they provide English-speaking staff who can at least communicate to meet your needs. Remember to ask for car pick-up to have fruitful start and end of your stay there.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple