“Very good service”
Review of Hotel Francs

Hotel Francs
Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiba
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I arrived at Hotel Francs from Handa Airport. There is a shuttle from the airport that stops at the hotel, but arriving at the bus stop at 8:10 PM, I had just missed the last shuttle. There was a shuttle running to the nearby train station though. I boarded that bus with some trepidation, but staff indicated the Hotel was within walking distance. The bus arrived and the driver indicated this was my stop. I collected my luggage, looked around, and saw the Hotel Green Tower, which is next to Hotel Francs. It was about a ten minute walk, and the Hotel Francs was hiding just behind the Hotel Green Tower.

Check-in was fast and efficient. Various staff greeted me, as they did each time I entered the lobby. I was shown to my comfort double, a small room, though not the smallest I saw in Japan, and fine for one person. My view was just of the Hotel Green Tower, so nothing special. The decor was classic, neutral colors and everything seems well made and in good condition. The room included a small fridge, a dispenser for shampoo, soap and conditioner, wifi internet access, and a very narrow desk. I discovered that I did not have an adapter for a three prong plug, so I borrowed one from the front desk. Later, I bought a cheap adapter at one of the nearby convenience stores.

Being late, I checked out the vending machine for something to drink, and there are various options for Yen 150 or so. The Yen 1,000 all-you can drink special in the bar was tempting, but I didn't take advantage of it. I took advantage of the washline in the room to hang some hand-laundered clothes. I could have used an iron and ironing board, though. I didn't bother with the small TV, though it seemed some English channels were available, as well as some paid movies. My room was dark and quiet, and the bed comfortable enough for a good night's sleep.

I had opted for the included breakfast in the dining room on a higher floor. It has a good view of the bay. There were generous options, including Japanese porridge and baked fish, cold cereal, yogurt decent pastries, runny scrambled eggs and fat plain omelet slices, Canadian-style bacon, several kinds of juice and good coffee. Not great, but not bad. The offerings were exactly the same each day I was there.

The hotel is just a short walk from the international convention center, though a block is uncovered. There are many restaurants and convenience stores in the malls and train station near by, and there is an Outlet mall as well. The beach is a fifteen minute walk away through an unkempt and overgrown garden area. Nothing too special about that.

I made some trips into Tokyo, and it is actually quite convenient, costing about Yen 550 one way. Express trains are a few minutes faster than the local. It should work fine if you want to head into the city for a day while attending a conference, or if a spouse comes along and wants to go into the city every day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Hotel looks very nice and new on the outside and is sited at a very conveniencr location in Chiba. Hotel rooms were a bit dated but nice and clean and the bathroom facilities were also very clean. We asked for adjointed non-smoking rooms when booking but were assigned rooms there were not. When we asked to switch rooms after we arrived and were told there were none available. The cigareete odour was so strong in the rooms and the hall way that we had to open our windows at night in order to sleep. We stayed for three nights and the room temperture did not seem to change no matter what the settings were on the thermostat in the room. It is clearly no an ideal hotel for families with small children and I would not recommend it for non-smoking customers.

Room Tip: Non-smokers beware !! Ocean side rooms have a great view of the sea and the park.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank gnuyky
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

This had to be an excellent place for our convention. The room was a bit too small for my tastes and the halls were a bit smoky...packed with weddings and such. However, the restaurant in the hotel was excellent! The service at this place was spectacular and very reasonable. Our wait help and restaurant director, Ms. Shiori Furuyama, really took such care of us. They even made something off the menu bc we came back 2 days in a row for dinner! She was such a delight and the staff really made our stay at the hotel memorable:)! Thank you:)

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank eh_minaz
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Hotel Francs was an "okay" hotel. Stayed there for the Expo that was held at the convention center. Staff is VERY friendly! The hotel room seemed very small and tight. Over all cleanliness of the room was Good. The rooms seemed a little dated to me, I'm sure that is the theme of the hotel, the "older" style. Breakfast was provided, which was great! Unfortunately the hotel does not have Wi-Fi, however you can plug in your device via land line.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This hotel was very good. The bed was large and comfortable and the pillows heavenly. Staff were courteous, friendly and helpful (as is usually the case in Japan). My room (1107) had a great sea view but was a little cramped (I had to shift the bed hard up against the wall so I could comfortably sit at my desk. A colleague paid a little more for a deluxe room and it was probably worth it as his room was very spacious. My room was very clean and well appointed (even having a multi-output charger for my iPhone and tablet. The free Japanese tea in the room was also excellent quality.
The room (and the hotel in general) only had wired internet which was no problem as I had my computer. If you need WIFI I can suggest walking across the main corner to the Conference Hall complex and going into the foyer (I went during the week and on the weekend) and using their free (no password required) WIFI.
Unfortunately you cannot check-in until 2pm (which was a drag as I had been on an overnight flight). The breakfast is uninspired (a good deal for the special 1050 Yen price, but not worth it for the usual 1850 Yen price).
Overall, the hotel represents good value for money. Note that there is no pool or gym

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel for people who want to feel like they're in a luxury hotel without feeling self conscious about fitting in. Staff are friendly enough to not be snooty and the hotel is worn down enough to feel comfortable.

The rooms were fabulous: we had a dining area with a welcome bowl of fruit, a small fridge, and two beds. It was one of the biggest rooms we have stayed at in Japan.

Breakfast was buffet style with both Japanese and Western food. Delicious.

The only drawback is that they don't have wifi. Who doesn't have wifi these days???

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

My two friends and myself stayed in this hotel last December and was slightly surprised by how small and cramped the rooms were.

However, for me personally, small rooms were okay and natural as small cramped rooms are the norm in Japan. But for those who enjoy large spacious rooms, this hotel is not for you.

In terms of location, it couldn't be better. It's right next to the bus terminal and the train station. There's also plenty of snack bars, restaurants and noodle bars nearby.

There's even an outlet close by for your shopping needs.

The hotel staff were very friendly. They didn't speak much English but my friends and I spoke a little Japanese so we were able to communicate in the end.

• Stayed: December 2012