“Narita Rainbow Tours was a great experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Narita
Atsugi, Japan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Narita Rainbow Tours was a great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I reccommend doing a tour with Rainbow Tours with Katsumi Kamikawa as your tour guide if you have some time to spare while stopping off at Narita airport in Japan. Katsumi is a great tour guide and also a great story teller who knows a lot about the area and can discuss many topics concerning Japan. He will give you insight into both the sights and the Japanese culture. I highly recommend doing a tour in the Narita area if you have a day or two or even a few hours. It's a good way to get an understanding of Japan with limited time while also getting a high quality tour. The tour website is http://naritatours.jp.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank Danelle_Brice

Ottawa, Canada
237 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 206 helpful votes
“Disappointing - guide was poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

Rainbow tour

Net
- Would not use them again. See tips instead.
- Tour guide was not great.
- Company seems a bit hit and miss.

Pros
- booking via email was easy
- pickup was easy
- Katsura speaks excellent English, well organized
- on meeting him it seemed likely we made a good choice...but...

Cons
- Sadly after he picked us up, he handed us over to an assistant.
- The assistant appeared to be using her own car and had to clear away
space on the seats and for our carry on. That felt odd/tacky.
- Her English was poor compared to his, and she was very quiet which
is bad for a tour guide. She was friendly but not a strong guide.
- For the tour she didn't provide much info and we ended up wandering
ourselves.
- Tour guides you want to be on their game, organized, clearly in charge with a mission ahead and it felt more like this was her very first outing or someone called on at the last second.

Airport return
- To get back to the airport we needed to take a bus (see tips)
because another person was on tour and was going to see more sights.
The bus we were told to look for did not look at all like the
bus described. It would have been easy to miss our flight. Usually a
tour returns you themselves - not just tells you how to catch a bus.

Summary
- In end it seemed we paid for one way car because temple
entrance is free, we paid for our own bus back and their was no real 'guiding'.

Tips
- If you have 8 hr layover consider the temple. It's nice to get out
of the airport and walk in the gardens, next to the lake, or attend
Buddhist ceremony.
- the round circle bus operates a circle tour that runs between the
temple and the airport (the bus we had to catch to get back). It is 200 yen per person each way.
- bus stops at front gates of temple, and at arrivals (far right side
as you exit) of Terminal 1 and 2.
- but check schedule since it is not every 30 min

Visited December 2011
10 Thank NomadNorth
Boca Raton, Florida
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“Definitely Great Layover Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

I was traveling solo and had an 8 hr. layover in Narita. Having no interest in spending it at an airport, I booked this tour at the last minute. Katsumi met me right on schedule in his very clean van and we took off for the temple. I am not really interested in temples, pagodas, etc but this one proved to be worthwhile given the fire ceremony that took place and Katsumi's information about all the things that go on at the temple. It was also on very attractive grounds. Having gotten a true tour of a temple, and having learned about what takes place, I can now feel as though I can honestly say I've been to one. We also saw a fish market and an ancient farmhouse that was interesting as I've never been inside a traditional Japanese home, or any one for that matter. Our final stop, per my request, was to get some sushi. The place Katsumi took us to was very good and very reasonable. I highly recommend doing this tour on a layover and now won't look at a layover in Narita with such dread. Even though I was traveling solo and had to pay for the entire tour cost on my own, I still found it to be a worthwhile expenditure and now I can also say I have spent some time in Japan!

Visited November 2011
6 Thank Trockie
Santa Monica, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Tour of Narita - Hidden Gem unfolds with Narita Rainbow Tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

I've been to Japan and transited Narita many times since the late 1970's. I was facing a 24-hour layover in Narita before heading for NYC. Booked the Narita Hilton (quite good) - and through a link on Hotels.com found Narita Rainbow Tours - what a find. I wrote Kamikawa Katsumi of my timetable and interests (exploring/photography/markets/countryside). Katsumi responded quickly. After 3 e-mails - he picked me up at the Hilton where we went to the Narita Fish Market. I've been to the one in Tokyo (10X as large) where tourists are less and less welcome. Narita Fish Market had a tuna auction that morning - where we were welcome up close and personal. From there it was to the Fire Ritual at the Temple - which may be the ONLY place in Japan where this is still done. I sat up front - stayed for the whole ceremony - glad I did - 45 min with more then a few surprises (won't ruin it for you). The remainder of the day was spent going to the Largest Buddha in the world - Wow, a recreation of a era's gone by town - the school children were the best, a farm that dates back over 200 years with the 90 year old farmer greeting us, and soooooooooo much more.

I will come back to this region. I will take my friends.

Many ways to customize this - read some of the other reviews. Fees for tour. Donations at some of the temples/shrines.

Visited October 2011
3 Thank hillsoftuscany
Annapolis, Maryland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Best Layover Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

A friend and I recently had an 8 hour layover at Narita between long flights. On a whim, we contacted Katsumi on Saturday afternoon before our Sunday morning arrival. Within 2 hours, our tour was confirmed. When we landed, I received an email from Katsumi saying that he was watching our flight info, and knew that we had arrived early, and if we wanted to begin the trip early, he would be happy to do so.

He picked us up in a clean, comfortable minivan (very comfortable for two Americans over 6'-3") and we were off. I normally avoid organized tours, but this could not have been better. A former resident of Los Angeles, his english was better than some lifelong Americans that I know. He offered the perfect mix of being informative and friendly without being boring or pushy. There is a bit of walking involved, but nothing strenuous. We happened to arrive on the hottest day of the year, and Katsumi was even kind enough to walk back for the car once it was time to go while we waited in an air conditioned area for him to come retrieve us. He understands that you have a flight to catch, and will make sure that you arrive back at Narita with time to spare. Customs there is very efficient. With no checked bags, we were in his car within 15-20 minutes of disembarking the plane. Takes cash (Yen) only, but there are ATMs right at the arrival terminal where you walk through anyway. Get extra, because you will want to tip!

Visited August 2011