“Good value pit stop before an early flight”

Mercure Hotel Narita
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels / Ryokan in Narita
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I chose this hotel for a one night stay before a morning flight as it is part of a well-known chain and seemed particularly close to the train station, which I used both to get there and then to travel to the airport (10 mins). The hotel was indeed very easy to find and there were some options to have a meal next to the station (the hotel also had several options for food, which I didn't try). I chose the most basic single room option, which was incredibly good value for money. It was quite large by Japanese standards and had a wide bed that was almost a double. It was clean and felt very safe. Apart from that, the room was fairly basic and the cabin style bathroom was very small so it felt more like staying at an Ibis budget hotel than a Mercure one (but the price did reflect this). The only complaint I had was that the room was quite cold, which was a surprise after staying at several almost over-heated hotels in Japan. They did provide a spare blanket so it wasn't an issue when sleeping.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed here in Sept for 2 nights and again in Nov on our way home for 1 night.
Sept stay found it quite acceptable for short stay...helpful staff, good advice re breakfast vouchers when checking in, room fine although maybe a little worn...air con hopeless and it was very hot at beginning of Sept! Breakfast good, and pleasant dining area. Location good for a look around Narita and staff helpful re advice about catching bus to Aeon Shopping Mall.
When we came back in Nov after flight from Vienna arrived before check in time knowing could leave luggage there and go out until room was ready. Came back around 2pm and some hesitation re ?not a double room from reception...however checked us in and took us to room which was not a standard double room as before and as booked and paid for but what I understand now is called a deluxe single room. told we did have a double room when queried...well yes a double bed up against the wall which makes it very difficult for the "wall" person who needs to go to the bathroom in the night, plus no bedside cabinet etc. Carpet quite stained. We were tired after long flight from Europe and a further one home to New Zealand ahead and just wanted somewhere to chill out and relax - found that a bit hard. Air con not great again either and advised to open window....wow quite a drop down there from a low window! Some have commented about train station noise - that didn't worry us at all.
Shuttle bus appreciated.
Would we stay there again...probably not after November experience but appreciate its price,situation etc and most folk would be happy to use as stopover.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I will not go in-dept but to say that everyone is correct in saying this is a very good before/after layover to start/end your Japan trip. This is our forth time staying there. It not pricey, we got two rooms (3 people) for $115 in early November. It a bit old but very bearable. The rooms are small compared to American standards but somewhat big for overseas.

It is right by the JR/Local metro station being one stop from the Nartita Airport. Once we got our luggage/cleared customs and hopped on the metro for one stop and walked to the Mecure in less than 15 minutes. If you are unsure just ask ask the information desk near the metro and they get you straight. We bought the wrong ticket several times and they fixed it for us.

Once you get off the Metro/JR, look for the exit (there is two). If there is a taxis stand and a bus stop in the middle of a U shape road then you know you are at the right one. The other exit opens up to more stairs and a walkway (the Comfort Inn and Richmond Hotel plus the shuttle stop for other area hotels are on this side). Just walk out to the main road, the opposite (open) end of the U and turn left and walk along the main road. The Hotel is no more than 100 meters away. If you are unsure ask the cab drivers (we did)!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank momdadsefi2010
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Decided to write this review right from the hotel itself.
This is 2nd time I have booked this hotel in the past few years--if I have an early flight out of Narita, my preference is to have a relaxing night and just stay in Narita City the night before departing from the airport instead of coming in from Tokyo or beyond in the morning rush.

The price has always been right for this hotel. I like the fact you can walk to it quickly from either JR Narita or Kesei-Narita stations. Never bothered to use their bus as I prefer to spend the few hundred yen and take the Keisei train. There are enough stores/restaurants around so you can get a quick bite to eat. Have not used the hotel dining facities to date.
Only thing I don't like is the is that you cannot control the room temperaure (other than opening the window) as I alway find in Japan the overheat the rooms/trains/malls etc (well from the Canadian perspective at least!)

So, my summary is good place for an overnight in Japan near the airport with the 2 key factors being reasonable price and easy access to the rail system (I hate staying at hotels where you have to rely only on a shuttle bus to the airport)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank MapleG
Reviewed 23 October 2013

In the the chaos that followed the recent typhoon I had to leave a day later than expected. So I suddenly needed overnight accommodation. The help desk at Narita airport had a sign claiming there was no accommodation anywhere in the Narita area. After a couple of fruitless calls I called the Mercure who took a booking with no fuss or drama. Also I thought the rate was very fair.

I had stayed in this hotel a few times about 3-4 years ago. This time it was a lot better than I remembered. Good size room, clean, friendly staff and comfortable. The room was a bit musty but opening the window for a few minutes solved that. The airport shuttle bus was big so no problems getting on it. However allow 40 minutes to reach terminal 1.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank whyNewScreenName
Reviewed 22 October 2013

From the train station (Keisei Main Line), the hotel is closer than I thought it is. We booked twin bed from the hotel website directly with Accor group and were given a room in Annex building (new building).
Free wifi in the room :) Room bath/toilet entrance is small, normal toilet bowl, not the Japanese type. Hotel surrounding has a few food stores that open quite late, I went down around 11pm, some food store/bar were still open.
Hotel breakfast start at 615am, the staff is kind enough to let me know if I booked breakfast the night before it will cost 1200 yens, but if walk in to the restaurant in the morning without reservation, the price will be 1500 yens. I didn't eat the breakfast, so cannot review on the food. We stayed only one night and took the hotel free shuttle next day to airport at 8:30am (earliest is at 7am). Will like to stay there another time again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kezial2013
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We spent one night here between arriving at Narita from Osaka and leaving Japan the next day. It was very conveniently located, just outside the Keisei station (although the early morning trains woke us up), and 10 minutes or so from the airport by train. The hotel runs an infrequent shuttle bus to the airport, but it's far quicker by train.

The rooms were average size for Japan and reasonably priced, but the whole hotel could do with some renovation and the breakfast restaurant was small and crowded for the number of guests. This was adequate for a single night to save a round-trip into Tokyo, but no better than that. Narita itself has several eateries near to the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends