“An excellent airport hotel, a good value and easy access to Narita town as well!”

Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels / Ryokan in Narita
Bangkok
Reviewed 24 September 2009

This is an update to my last review (04 May 2009) of this hotel.
This is our contract crew layover hotel while in Narita. I stayed here again on September 22, 2009

As noted, this is mainly a “transit” hotel. I’d venture to guess that nearly 90% of the guests are either just arrived or departing tomorrow type passengers.. Due to it’s distance- over 90kms from Tokyo proper, it’s not the most convenient for those with business in town or wish to sight-see.

Like any airport hotel, one of the good things about it is the location.. It's about 10 minutes away using the hotels free shuttle van. You can take either of two local service trains to the hotel-- but this now means you'll have to carry your luggage up flights of stairs and down again—escalators and elevators are not as convenient as you’d expect in Japan train stations- especially in the smaller sized locations... Walking to the hotel is not practical as there really is no safe walkways (sidewalks) to get to/from the airport on foot.. So-- take their free shuttle..

Due to it’s proximity, there is not much to see/do immediately near the hotel.. But, there is Narita town-- which is compact mid-sized Japanese town. There is a large mall, the Aeon Narita Shopping Complex [a good overview website here: http://www.chiba-tour.jp/narita/shop/shop_top.html] with multiple shopping and dining options (including the Narita branch of the famous Hard Rock Café chain)--you can easily go explore.. The town is very walkable and many things are in English, which makes getting around easy. Other ideas are the local temple and even the local golf course (clubs are for rent).. Do know that going into Tokyo proper will take you at least 53 minutes travel time by taking the limited stop, high speed express train-- called N'EX-- from the airport terminal or a few minutes less from the adjacent Narita town station.. The cost for a round-trip ticket on the NEX near US$60 R/T.. so most guests I met simply stayed at the hotel or went into Narita town for their adventure [http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/]

The hotel itself is divided into two inter-connected buildings.. The main building houses most of the guest rooms and most of the hotel facilities.. The hotel has almost every amenity that you could think of like: beauty salon, spa, small enclosed shopping arcade, travel center, outdoor swimming pool, tennis court, etc.. Food options are Japanese, Chinese and western.. Surprisingly, the room service is not 24/7 (I recall it was closed at 23:00)-- odd for an airport hotel-- but NRT has a curfew for flight departures so the airport goes silent late at night until early morning.

My room-- Very nicely appointed.. As normal, I get a basic twin and it was in the new "south" building.. I saw some of the rooms in the main building as I was walking to the south wing and noticed that the main building rooms were a bit smaller-- and in Japan “small” means really SMALL... The room was nicely appointed with every imaginable amenity that you could think of.. A pair of room slippers, full length bath robe, pants press, wall-mounted hair dryer, personal-sized coffee/tea maker.. The bed was nice and semi-soft-- a nice change from the norm in Asia of oh-so hard beds.. A nice feature for those who need to sleep during daylight hours was the "black-out" drapes- when properly the room became nearly pitch dark-- even with midday sunshine. There is a medium sized work desk with decent lighting and electrical outlets for charging your equipment. My room had free high-speed internet access as well (a nice free touch).. The bathroom was near full sized with tub/shower combo and a good selection of toiletries are provided as well..

Our contract rate was just under JPN11000 (about USD$125), and I was given a courtesy, space-available "upgrade" for free due to the early time of my check-in. I consider JPN11,000/night a very reasonable rate-- for an airport hotel and in Japan, where rooms can easily run over $500/night..

I found their service to be typically Japanese-- flawless in execution and planning... Everything in my room was well cleaned.. didn't even find dust on the lamp and nothing was inoperable.. The staff is unfailingly polite and will literally bend over backwards to accommodate you and tend to your needs..

My verdict? I'd stay here again 'on my own dime' if I needed an airport hotel.. It's true that you can find a few places cheaper in Tokyo-proper, but then you have to add in the cost of transportation (which can be over $60 r/t) and the time to get to/from downtown Tokyo.. So, all things considered this is a very good place to just sit back and decompress!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
7 Thank GOPBI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Thornton, Colorado
Reviewed 9 August 2009

This hotel is just OK for an overnight stay. I was flying on stand-by and was not able to get a seat on the plane back to the States, so I needed a place to stay for the night. I received a discounted rate of $54, an excellent value for pricey Tokyo. The hotel is located a few miles outside of Narita and there is a free shuttle service to and from the airport. I stayed in room 804. The room was clean and the beds, while small, were actually very comfortable. The rooms could use some serious updating though. The carpet looked new, but the furnishings looked worn and dated. The worst thing about this hotel is the bathroom. It is entirely made of plastic. Plastic tub, plastic counter tops, plastic walls, plastic door, plastic ceiling. Even the FLOOR was plastic. It's also very dark, with only one small light above the small mirror (sorry I didn't get a pic.) There are two computers with internet access in the lobby for 100 Yen for 10 minutes, but no Wi-Fi anywhere in the hotel. Tip: there is an "am/pm" store at the Hilton across the street that sells reasonably priced drinks and food, and they take credit cards. I stayed my second night at the Hilton which was a bit better (and not much more expensive) and I posted a review about my stay there as well.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank BeachBumChris
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2009

This was the first of ten hotels we stayed in during our trip to Japan, with a budget of 10000 Yen per night. After a long flight we wanted a hotel close to the airport and the Excel was less than 10 minutes away by shuttle. The staff were friendly and were quick to deliver to our room, our missing luggage (thanks jestar!). The room although dated in its decor was comfortable and larger than expected. The free shuttle service came often so we were quickly on our way to somewhere more interesting.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank flyalot73
canada
Reviewed 19 April 2009

Good value if booked through the Pan Pacific hotels website, otherwise costs more. Rooms are adequate size, quiet, clean, somewhat older building in good condition, mild mustiness. Would recommend if you need to be near the airport for a flight the next day. Take the express train from Tokyo to Narita Airport terminal 2, then take the hotel's shuttle bus at stall 26. Another shuttle bus goes from the hotel to the city and Aeon mall. The mall has little to offer except for restaurants that are much less expensive than those at the hotel. The indoor swimming pool is very clean and not used much, no chlorine smell (they must be using bromine). There is also an outdoor pool in summer. The Japanese luch buffet is very good.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank qwerty59
jakarta
Reviewed 20 March 2009

My wife&I were forced to stay overnight in Tokyo due to our Northwest Airlines flight delay to Minneapolis. Having spent the whole previous day in transit hanging out in Singapore, we were so tired and could definitely use a good bed, meal and shower. The airline booked us this hotel, and it provided us with all three. We had the option to choose between Japanese and Chinese for dinner, turns out the Chinese restaurant was much better [as ironic as that may sound]. We got the best seat in the house, overlooking the city lights at nighttime. Comfy beds. Bathroom was a bit tiny [as I believe it is customarily Japanese], but very clean. Breakfast was nice. Plenty of shuttles, and they're all on time according to schedule. We accidentally got separated from our luggages on the way back to the airport; the shuttle carrying our luggages had left some 15 minutes ahead of us. But by the time we got to the terminal, our luggages were there, safe and sound. All in all, a pleasant 10-hour stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank monkey_zulu
Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2009

A missed connection lead to an overnight "lay over" in Tokyo at the Excel. With a 10 minute shuttle ride from Narita airport the Excel is ideal for the short stay, offering clean and comfortable if compact rooms with a choice of western or japanese breakfast at a reasonable price.

• Liked — Staff and location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple