“Hotel staff not typical Japanese”

Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport Hotel
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels / Ryokan in Narita
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Hilton Diamond, guest for 4 nights November 2013. this is not typical of the vast array go hotels I have stayed in Japan

The good:
The room size is fantastic, was getting sick of dog boxes in most Japanese hotels, location near airport, gym is amazing, breakfast quite good, plenty of seating, happy hour a good deal approx $USD 5 for Kirin beer and $USD 5 for house wine, convenient location to NRT, Narita township not far away is a great little town to visit of you have a few hours to kill, what else? I can't think of anything else. TV was good, finally a hotel in Japan that has CNN and BBC and a few other english speaking channels. Loads of desk space in my room, o great to work from. The bed was fantastic and the new linen is a winner. The bathroom toiletries in the small bottles ( rather than huge tubs in most cheap Japanese hotels )

The not very good:
The flight crew guests, I think they are the only other guests, '000's of them from all walks of life, lots of lisping going on, a lot of noise from them throughput the place especially the Americans, really loud, wow!

The internet speed is ridiculously SLOW, for a Hilton and for Japan, this is by far the worst, I think there are so many Yanks trying to use at the same time, it is crazily slow.

The staff are strange, having been there for 4 days, I honestly can say I never saw one smile, not a single one, which is so untypical of my experiences around Japan. Japanese can't be helpful enough, wonderful people in fact, but not here. I guess when they are dealing with self-important flight crews ad-nauseum day in and day, out they have any politeness beaten out of them. There was one exception, a senior wait staff lady was absolutely delightful.

I had a car, they tried charging me ¥ 400 every time I went in and out of the cark park, I insisted it states ¥ 400 per day and after much hissing they agreed, bit annoying arguing with me about it but hey, what was I to expect from this lot.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank robdubluu
There are newer reviews for Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport Hotel

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I had to spend an overnight at Narita on my way going to Manila, and I couldn´t be more happy to make this choice. I decided to book my room at the Hilton Narita Airport hotel, a wonderful property very well located, decorated and designed both from the outside to he inside. Everything worked out properly, from getting the bus going to the hotel to the reception, staff were so accommodating and friendly, they gave me a nice and comfy standard room, which was very well decorated and fully equipped with music, tv and cinema systems.

I enjoyed their spa and massage service as well, truly relaxing!

My only regret was the day after at the restaurant trying to enjoy my breakfast, because they open the service at 7am, and my bus going back to the airport was at 06:30, so I ended up with just a cup of coffee instead of full of great options I was able to see at their buffet already settled at 06:00 when I came down.

Room Tip: "higher floors have better views"
8  Thank idrovoviva
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a convenient location to stay overnight at the beginning of our trip after a long flight. It is a functional resting place, not a sparkling minimalist hotel. The breakfast was great: manageable and choices were not overwhelming. The best thing about this hotel is how sound-proof it can be. You would not know that the planes are taking off and arriving at all hours of the day. It is so quiet in the rooms. The walls are totally insulated. Plus the drapes block out the sun effectively.

Visit Narita the town. The shrine in the town is quite accessible. The sento (baths) in Narita is about a 35 minute walk from the bus / train stop, but it's worth the trip and well priced. It is called Han kyou. This is frequented entirely by locals. A cafe / restaurant on site is convenient for making this a morning outing. We also spent an afternoon at the AEON mall (by bus).

Room Tip: There are shops and services in the underground of the hotel, not operated by the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HermesParis
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel seems depressing. Something about it seems old and dated. It was clean. I just felt like I was in a dreary place. I stayed at other hotels in Tokyo and they didn't feel sad and depressing like this one. The so called cheesecake there is horrible! We ordered 2 pieces each because they are really small pieces and we regretted it. The restaurant was pretty good. The pizza was pretty good. The customer service at this hotel was good too.

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

This is our 2nd time to spend a night at Hilton Narita before we continue our journey to Tokyo and beyond. Because sometimes after a very long flight all you want is a relaxing and a comfortable bed, and the hotel will give you that. The free shuttle from/to airport is very useful, every 20-30 minutes. The staff are very accommodating. I would like to thank Kaoru and Satoko from reservations dept, especially accommodating our last minute booking.During our stay in January 2011 we tried their hearty breakfast, and there's a lot of choices. Last October 2013, we tried to have dinner at Matzukaze - a Japanese restaurant. The food is very tasty but a little pricey. There are also shops and convenience stores in the lobby.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank abba25
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The "Hilton Narita - Airport" hotel is probably one of the higher quality hotels located near that Narita airport, although, you're quite the trek from Tokyo city if you're planning on spending a lot of time there.

The hotel itself is very clean, comfortable and quiet. I had absolutely no problems getting the rest that I needed at any time of the day or night, especially with the fourteen hour time difference from back home.

Breakfast itself is a decent, buffet-style Breakfast, catering to North-American, International and Asian tourists. Breakfast really isn't anything special, in fact, I'd rather eat elsewhere if I had something else near the hotel to choose from.
Lunch and Supper at the hotel's restaurant is nothing special and it is quite expensive as well.

The hotel provides a free shuttle bus that leaves approximately twice an hour throughout most hours of the day to the Airport, local Shopping Mall, and the Train Station (which takes you to Tokyo). The shuttle ends around 2330hrs (1130pm) and start back up at approximately 6-0700hrs.
If you take the free shuttle the the train station, you will find a sufficient amount of restaurants, stores and bars in the area. If you are into Nightlife, you may want to consider visiting "Jet Lag" bar and "The Cage" Karaoke bar, which is walking distance from the "Narita Train Station".

Overall, this hotel is perfect for catching up on rest, relaxing and provides free transportation to get you where you want to go within Narita. It is not an ideal hotel to stay in if you plan on spending a lot of time visiting Tokyo city.

1  Thank Jordan I
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Nice hotel with good size rooms.
Shuttle bus takes about 15 mins but their are periods in the day when it only runs every half hour. They also do a free bus into Narita where there are a good choice of places to eat + a shopping mall where everyone seems to go for their last minute buys.
The hotel food is expensive though - we paid equivalent of £42 for 3 min burgers and fries cos we were too tired to get the bus to town.
The rapid train from Narita airport takes 1 hour 22 mins but the Narita express (NEX) only takes 1 hour. You must get the JR Travel Centre to book seats for you on the NEX trains. If you are using the hotel as a base and popping to the airport to get trains in Tokyo then you need to take your passport with you as they check these when the buses enter the airport security.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple