“Good Value, Fantastic Location!!!”

Sengokuhara Shinanoki Ichinoyu
singapore
“Good Value, Fantastic Location!!!”
Reviewed 23 December 2011

My friends and I stayed there during Mid-December 2011 for 3D2N. We booked a Japanese style room with private open-air bath (2nd floor, non-smoking). It costs 73000 yen for 3 persons. There is a KOTATSU(foot warmer) table in the room, and we slept on futon. There are western style rooms available as well, but we decided to stay in a traditional room. The room was well-equipped with all the necessary amenities, making it easy for travelers to travel light. Best of all, there was a private open-air bath in the room, which makes it convenient for travelers who are looking for some privacy.
We made use of the private open-air bath in the room once, and during the rest of the stay, we made use of the public bath. There are 2 types of public bath: outdoor bath and indoor. Personally I prefer the outdoor bath, because i like feeling the cold wind on my face, but still feeling warm whilst i soak in the onsen.
After soaking in the onsen, we went for dinner at 7pm sharp. You can choose to have dinner at 6pm or 7pm, but be sure to arrive before dinner time to check in, because if you arrive later than 6pm, they will not be able to serve you dinner. And they are strict about this rule.
Dinner comes in 2 plans, either standard or gourmet, and you can also order in advance some additional dishes. But no matter what plan you choose, you don't have to worry about feeling hungry at night as the dinner is extremely fulfilling. But if you would like to try, you can order one standard plan for the 1st evening, and a gourmet plan for the 2nd evening. That's what we did. We were extremely satisfied with the dinner they served.
In the morning, from 8am-9am, they serve breakfast, and their Japanese breakfast was also wonderful. Do take note that they don't allow guests to bring drinks from vending machines or other places into the restaurants, if you do so, they will charge you for the drinks.

One other reason why i recommend this onsen hotel is because of its location. First of all, it is only a mere 5 mins walk to the lovely Venetian Glass Museum. It is also only a 3-4 bus stops away from the Little Prince Museum. If you are someone who's interested in these museums, be sure to take note of this onsen hotel. Moreover, just outside this onsen hotel, there are buses that will bring you directly to Gotemba Premium Outlet in just under 30-45mins, and you don't even have to pay a single cent if you're using the Hakone Freepass. So if you are interested in shopping, you should seriously consider this onsen hotel.
I would definitely stay there again if I'm going to Hakone.

Room Tip: Book hotels in advance, and do make your special request known to the hotel in advance too.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank luvtravellin82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
New York
Reviewed 14 March 2011

First of all, I would like to extend my prayers to Japan for the earthquake & tsunami disaster. You are in my thoughts.

On to the review!
What an amazing onsen resort! This is the first time where I'd stayed at a Japanese style ryokan (futon beds/kotasu) and I'd enjoyed every moment of it.
Even tho' during the stay, I was not feeling well @ the time...the kotasu (heated table) is like the chicken soup that I needed for the cold I had! I can literally fall asleep sitting underneath the warmth given off from the table.
The private hot spring bath in the balcony is amazing even tho' the shower is outside where you may freeze 1/2 the time but the warmth when you are soaking in the private bath makes it all better. The room was very spacious and very clean. I love the yukatas that was provided by the hotel (there's different sized available @ the front desk if the ones in the room does not fit) where you can lounge in total relaxation.
For those that are sharing rooms w/ a friend, do not worry about privacy during your private time soaking in the spring bath since there is a curtain/glass that separates the balcony & the room itself.
Dinner was very good also. We picked the regular meal set and I fairly enjoyed the shabu shabu - perfect for cold winters. Breakfast was light but w/ lots of variety so you will be full even tho' it may not look like it will fill you up.
Most of the staff spoke good English and they do have instructions in English thru-out the facilities. I can not comment on the public bath since I did not utilize the area.

One thing I have to mention is that if you have a bad back, maybe a futon bed is not a good option to choose since the futon is rather thin. Otherwise, the blankets are light & fluffy and will keep you warm thru the night!

Also, check-out is at 10am which is kinda early..(breakfast is from 7:30am - 9:00am).

I will definitely stay here again if Hakone is in my future itinerary.
A great place to relax and worth every penny of it!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank mcrdh
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 December 2010

My family stayed in one the bigger rooms with the private onsen at the balcony. The room was spacious with adequate sleeping areas for my three teenagers. They thoroughly enjoyed the privacy of the onsen. The bathing area is outdoors so it can be fairly chilly to bathe in winter. But the contrast provided by the warm onsen makes it an invigorating experience,

The service staff speak only Japanese, with exception of a friendly Chinese waitress. The hotel is a short walk from bus stop. Do come with a small bag because the bus will not be abe to accomodate any large pieces of luggage.

Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Singapore
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We booked the largest room that could sleep six. The room itself was beautiful, with a foot warmer, outdoor bath and 5 futons.

However, the room became quite cold at night because cold wind entered through the gaps of the balcony door. We tried to warm up the room with the airconditioner but the maximum it can go is 30 degrees Celsius. With the cold air entering the room, the room temperature never reach 30 degrees. As a result, my daughter fell ill.

The outdoor bath is nice, the adults spent quite a lot of time in it despite the air is pretty cold. The meals could be better though, but I have to say that the service is impeccable.

Convenient location, as the bus-stop is just 3 mins walk from the hotel. There is also a bus direct to Odawara station (rather than hakone-yumoto), although a longer journey.

Would recommend this hotel to adults, rather than children.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank yomamemo
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We stayed at Sengokuhara Shinanoki Ichinoyu for 2 nights during June 2010. We had 3 adults and 1 three years old so the room we got was a bit small but the central reservation centre did warn us about it. This is probably one of the cheapest place in the Hakone area if you are looking for a private outdoor onsen in your room.

We stayed in the type 2 room on the upper floor. The bed was ok (although after sleeping for 2 nights, I did get a backache but hey that's part of the Japanese adventure). My 3 years old absolutely loved the experience and thinks sleeping on the floor with mattress is really cool. Our room has a tiny private onsen which will fit 2 adults at a time. It was nice soaking in the bath at night time. The property also have 2 public onsens, one for men and one for woman. Each public bath has one indoor bath and one outdoor. They are much smaller than the ones I have been before so be prepared to be closed to the others when you are in the bath.

Breakfast and dinner were both nice. They make special child's meal for my son (he had beef petite one night and pork culets the other). I quite enjoyed the food but be prepared some breakfast may included slightly salted fish which is really part of the japanese culture.

I was surprised that the staff at the hotel actually speak pretty good English so that make our stay easier.

The property is very close the busstop (approx 3 mins walk) . You can catch the bus to the main Hakone station (where you catch the train to from Tokyo city- Shinjuku) or you can catch the bus heading North going to the cable car, ropeway etc. The bus trips can be long and crowded at times.

One very important thing to note is to allow a lot of time when you leave the place. We left the hotel on a Sunday afternoon heading back to Tokyo Shinjuku on a 2:18pm train. We left the hotel at around 1pm thinking there is plenty of time (normally the bus trip is approx 30 mins). I don't know whether it's due to the day being a Sunday or the traffic was just bad.... we missed our train and have to pay extra $870 yen per person to get on the train at 4pm. So allow plenty of time... you rather leave the hotel earlier and get to the Hakone train station, walk around the shops, to make sure you don't miss the trains.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Pasta0
Hong Kong
Reviewed 28 October 2009

Very nice room with the private bath at the balcony.
Big room and very comfortable bed in Japanese style.
Breakfast and dinner. not as good as expected. But their own made tofu was very good.
Quiet location.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tofudon
London
Reviewed 20 April 2009

Having spent weeks trying to find a traditional Japanese ryokan with a private olson for under £500, we found this place recommended by an 'Inside Japan' itinerary. It was cheaper than the majority of places we looked at, and the room was certainly value for money. It was beautifully set out and had both a traditional table (sitting on the floor) and a couple of sofas with a coffee table as well. There were 2 double beds that we pushed together and were reasonably comfortable compared to a lot of the places we stayed.

However, in a place like this you are paying the money for the onsen (hot spring) and ours was a little disappointing. It was a bath, made from stone. Perhaps I was delusional due to the incredible onsens we had seen on other sites, but I expected a little bit more.

The place itself was tough to find on the bus as none of the signs were in english, but I was in Japan! So no real complaints there. I do advise if you are coming on the bus, look out for the glistening trees from the glass museum that comes up just before the hotel. When you see the trees, it's time to get off the bus!

The hotel staff spoke very little English so we ended up going to the hotel opposite to get some advice on where to eat. We did manage to find a place (mainly out of luck as everywhere seemed to be closed) and actually had a really nice meal.

Overall, if you're looking to stay at a place purely for the onsen experience, then I suggest looking elsewhere, but if you are looking for a nice, comfortable ryokan that happens to have a stone bath constantly filled with hot spring water, then this is your place.

I would also avoid the breakfast if you're not a massive fish eater!!..

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple