“Not allowed in!”

Tonkatsu Rikyu
Price range: US$9 - US$27
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

I will never be eating here at all. We tried to get in 3 times and the man was very rude all three times. I guess he doesn't need to be nice as his shop is always full. Maybe he didn't like that we had a child. Whatever it was it seemed very out of character for a Japanese shop keeper, everyone is always so nice in Japan and/or apologetic if they can't accommodate, but this man was down right rude, even with the language barrier. There is a sushi shop just up the hill from this place where the food is nice and the people are friendly. Much better choice.

5  Thank sk321

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We arrived in Gora late in the afternoon after a day of making the Hakone circle. After checking in at our hotel we were warned that the restaurants closed early, but we really did not anticipate just how early.

We wandered out from the hotel just after 6 p.m. and found the first three restaurants were no longer accepting diners for the evening. Fortunately we were invited in at Tonkatsu Rikyu and enjoyed an outstanding meal.

As others have described, it is a very small restaurant, but we were fortunate to be allowed in (along with another small group which was also out seeking the evening meal) at a time when I am sure that the chef had believed that he was closing for the evening.

We remain extremely thankful that we were allowed to dine here and to have received such an amazing meal and hospitality.

1  Thank MRK602
Reviewed 17 November 2013

having a one day trip to Hakone by, and planned to lunch bear Gora station. Without much research, just walk along the path and found this restaurant with TripAdvisor sticker at the front door. It is a small store with around 9 seats around the bench/bar table.

i browse their official web while waiting for table outside, and got the translation on the menu. We picked the set with Fillet set and Loin which approx 3000yen.

the chef can speak English, he will show you the pork if you not sure what to order. The set come with side dish and miso soup. I love the pork, but too much that I couldn't finish it which I feel bad...I especially love the atmosphere there.

2  Thank Winkie N
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Wow, who would have ever thought that the best katsu would be at Rikyu?? It's better than anything I've had in Tokyo, Kyoto, and even Osaka!

This place is not far off from Gora Station. If you walk on the path from Gora Station towards Gora Park, you'll find it on your right hand side.

Note: It is very pricey. A katsu meal was around 2400 yen for one person. So be prepared to cough up your dough from some awesome katsu.

1  Thank Tunaidi
Reviewed 11 May 2013

everyone incuding me feel what a beautful feefs excisting in this world. BUT! expenceive. an I am a back pakcer i spent budget for 2days eating.

1  Thank EMSFH