Hotellerie Maille Coeur Shougetsu
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$384
US$183
Hakone Manatee(Hakone-machi)
US$388
US$354
Rakuten Travel
Hakone Sengokuhara Prince Hotel(Hakone-machi)(Great Value!)
US$444
JAPANiCAN.com
Sounkaku(Hakone-machi)
US$997
Trip.com
All reviewswestern dishesyumoto stationbreakfast buffetshuttle busroomyannouncedyenenglishdinnerhakone
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2010

loves the hotel , the dinner was really great , romantic and delicious too. recommended for couples or going out with girl friends. defeniatly not a place for a bunch of guys since the place have a romantic feel to it but i think a bunch of girls will defeniatly love it. the service was really great even though we are late ( we call first ) but we can still have dinner and also our bags are deliver to our room. the jacuzzi is great the outdoor onsen are spectacular. the breakfast also great . the only think that i don't like is my room bed spread is not as clean as i like( there's one big brown spots in them , i know is clean and i think the spots can't be wash out but i think they should just trow it way and change it to new one next time ) . but everything else is great . the best thing for this hotel i think is the service, the serve cakes in the room fridge and they deliver our bags and the dinner and breakfast is one of the best i got from hotel up till now. if i go back to hakone again i will go here again and stay at the japanese room with a hope that it have better cleanness on the bed spread.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ay12
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Located about ten minutes' walk from central Hakone-Yumoto, the Hotellerie Maille Coeur Shougetsu is a quiet, relaxing onsen/hotel. The rooms alone are unimpressive, but the personalized service we received at the restaurant is why I highly recommend this hotel.

I had a standard Western-style room, which was very mediocre with a weak bed, blah decor, and slightly soiled carpets. The view was nonexistent--blocked by a bamboo fence built around the back of the hotel. The room was small, and we had difficulty finding space for our luggage around the two double beds, tea table, two chairs, and dresser with TV. Bathrooms were clean, though not the most modern.

There is a small gift shop in the lobby. The hotel did not have Internet access in guest rooms. But, they have an excellent and thorough web site, in both English and Japanese.

The onsen is large (no worry of overcrowding), well-lit, and sparkling clean. Very relaxing! There are both indoor and outdoor baths, separate for men and women. Soaking in the tub is a MUST during your stay!!!

But the real highlight of my stay at Maille Coeur was the restaurant, where breakfast and dinner are served (included in room rate). Breakfasts are excellent, with a huge spread of Japanese and Western dishes. Try the aloe--very refreshing and energizing in the morning.

Dinners are artful, creative, and impeccably prepared with the freshest, highest-quality local ingredients. On our first night, a lot of seafood was served, which my sister did not enjoy much. The restaurant manager, Ishida Manabu, picked up on it, and had the chef create a special menu--just for our family--on the second night of our stay. The second night, we got different dishes than other guests that were more suited to my sister's tastes. I was amazed at how accommodating they were. A special menu just for our family is about as personalized as service can get!

Mr. Ishida really enhanced our stay at Maille Coeur, and for his thoughtfulness, I highly recommend Maille Coeur to anyone visiting Hakone!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank stargirlssc
Reviewed 19 April 2009

I was more than a little confused when it came to booking a hotel in Hakone. The area is large and I wasn't sure which part we should be in. I then decided, as we were only staying a few days, close to the station would be where we would want to be. I started going through Google Earth and found this little gem of a hotel. The price was right and when I emailed the hotel directly for a price, received a very clear and concise immediate response from Ken. When we arrived at the station, we were told about a shuttle bus which would take us to the hotel for 100 yen each. We were very quickly dropped off and arrived at the hotel. We walked in and were met by Ken himself, Japanese born but obviously American educated. He knew me by name (I don't think they get a lot of Westerners there) and very quickly checked us in.

We stayed in a standard Western room. It was of good size, basic furniture but very comfortable and clean. It was a little hot in the room and although there was a fan, it wasn't doing much, so we just opened the window. Being April it was cool outside and within no time the room was at a perfect temperature.

The JR Hakoneyumoto station is only a 10 minute walk and from there you can do the entire Hakone area on a loop. I couldn't have picked a better location.

The area around doesn't have much but if you are hungry and don't mind a walk up a very steep hill, try Go Go Wimpy, which is the coffee shop for the Toy Museum, not far from the station. The English speaking chef makes the best burger.

I didn't try the hotel food or the onsen (no one wants to see my body naked) but I understand from others we spoke to that it is wonderful.

There is wired internet in the lobby if you bring your own laptop.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank fluffybundles
Reviewed 5 December 2008

I decided to go to Hakone to get away from the stress of work and arranged the hotel booking at a very last minute. Got a room for one person including breakfast at JPY10,000 through Rakuten Travel (if you can manage to read some Japanese, the Japanese website offers better rate than the English site), which is in fact excellent value for a modern on-sen hotel.

I got a Western room with all the basic amenities. Their two outdoor on-sens are well decorated, offering very tranquil and relaxing atmosphere.

The breakfast offers a lot of choice including Japanese and Western style. The location is good - only a few min from the rail station and there is a bus station close to the hotel. It is always a pleasure taking a walk around small on-sen resort like Yumoto anyway.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank Apple_HK
Reviewed 14 December 2007

I live in Tokyo , about 90 mins from Hakone
I have spent the last two days at Shougetsu and find it superb.
The staff , even though most of them dont speak English are
kind, polite and friendly. I will recommend this hotel to everyone either from abroad or living in Japan. If you understand Japanese
web sites like --- offer great buget price accomodation for Shougetsu .

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank niponese