Odakyu Hotel de Yama
Ryuguden Hotel(Hakone-machi)
Hanayura(Hakone-machi)
Hotel Ra Kuun(Hakone-machi)
View Hotel
All reviewsmoto hakonefrench restaurantfree shuttlelake ashiazalea gardenscenic locationhot springslarge gardenblue skyhotel is locatedjapanese hotelsnext morningtwin roompirate shiphotel shuttleodawara stationstayed here for one night
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We left Tokyo and got to Hakone-Yumoto station easy enough via Odawara station. We could have taken a bus to Moto-Hakone but took a taxi to the hotel for about 5000 yen. I would recommend getting a bus from Odawara station to Moto-Hakone - we did the reverse on the way back and it was so much easier. There is a shuttle bus every 20 minutes from Moto-Hakone direct to the hotel.

The taxi driver said that the hotel was the best in the area and I really can't imagine anywhere better. The room itself isn't anything that special but...
The staff: very professional and speak good English.
The view: amazing view of Lake Ashi and Mount Fuji.
The location: What a location. The ferries across Lake Ashi leave from Moto-Hakone port.
The garden: beautiful and massive. We went for a walk one night and it was dead silent.
The onsen: just the onsen by itself is pretty average but together with the extremely hot sauna and free massaging chairs makes it a relaxing experience.
The restaurants: there are two restaurants - French and Japanese. We went to the Japanese one (of course) and it was formal dining. Loved it.
The bar: like the restaurant, the bar is pretty formal with a self-playing piano. Sets the scene well for...
The karaoke room: Yes, there is a free karaoke room downstairs! There wasn't anyone there so we sung our hearts out till early morning!

Room Tip: We were there on a Sunday and heard that heavy discounts apply on Sundays - not sure if this is true but we felt we received a pretty good deal. Definitely ask for a room with a view of Mount Fuji.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Sota I
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed here for a night in September 2013. This was my second trip to Hakone in five years. The first visit was to the Prince Hotel, which is about a mile down the road. The grounds and building of Yamano were in outstanding condition. The staff were personable and eager to assist. The rooms were of good size and very comfortable, albeit with a bit dated decor... but the dated decor is commonplace in this area. The hotel is very quite with every room having a view of Lake Ashi, as far as I can tell. The only aspect of this hotel which does not compare favorably to the Prince hotel is the onsen. It is quite small, but still in good condition and very relaxing. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Any future trips to Hakone will be booked at this property.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Hapa_Nate
Reviewed 16 August 2013

So dispointed , I booked this hotel from Japanican and asking for a special rate because i was alone . They replied that the hotel don't made single rate ( wich is not true according to the answer they made when i came back to my country ) . i decided to booked a 50 000 yens room formyself to experience the private SPA with the lake view .When i arrived at the hotel the receptionist seems astonished when i saw that i pay the price for 2 while i was travelling alone. Later , when i asked to a lady if they made special rate for single traveler she answerd negatively ,but i discovered later that is not true .
When i check in the receptionist removed one of my breakfast coupon , which was very rude . In the morning when i saw that they were 2 kind of breakfast , i asked for the premiunm one which was less expensve than 2 normal breakfast .
During the dinner time 11500 yens menue , one of the lady was very rude &impatient whith me when i tried to understand how the individual rice cooker work ..she was more pleasant with the japanese .I loved the place which is very relaxing and beautiful and that was exactely what i was looking for , but wiil aprecaite to me not considerd has a purse .
When i asked for a partial refund according to the price i should have paid , the hotel said that i booked for 2 but i only fill the form with one name .

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank zazazazou
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Wanted to get views of Mt Fuji and since was short on time and did a bit of research and chanced upon this hotel on a booking site.
Was coming in from Kyoto on my last leg of my wonderful Japan trip. The journey from Kyoto via Shinkansen and Bus was long and a bit tiring but wonderfully scenic. If you like the mountains and crisp air the bus journey is wonderful as well as the Shinkansen from Kyoto.
Being a little tired and totally distracted by the beautiful Lake Ashi, I got off and forgot my overnighter in the bus.
When I got onto my shuttle( they have a free shuttle from the Moto Hakone stop every 15 mins) I realised this goof up. I told the bus driver in whatever English and sign language and Japanese that I could manage, he seemed to understand and immediately after dropping the hotel guests off drove to the next bus stop of the bus I was on, made some calls and got the bus to leave my luggage at the next bus stop. It was amazing how he efficiently managed to get hold of the bus driver of a public transport bus and get my bag offloaded. Post the fiasco I was taken to the hotel and my oh my, what a hotel! It is luxurious and plush. Since I visited in Autum and it was nippy, the hotel lobby had fireplaces and a welcoming reception.
The room I requested for was one which had a view of Mt Fuji in the morning and the beautful Lake. Was lucky to get a clear sky on the morning I was there.
The Kaiseki Meal at the Japanese restaurant was worth every Yen (expensive) I spent, the breakfas at the French restaurant too was wonderful with very attentive stewards and my request for extra croissants(fixed breakfast) was not turned down. Because I decided to eat alfresco the steard gave me a wrap so I wouldnt be cold. The views of the Lake and Mt Fuji while I ate my divine breakfast will always remain in my heart.
They have a huge property with a chapel and benches that you can sit and watch time standstill. Even though the azaleas were not in bloom it was a wonderful well maintained property.
Lastly the Onsen was amazing. They have an indoor and outdoor onsen. The outdoor onsen faces huge FIr trees and is an amazing feeling.Having 2 free massage chairs, a foot plus a back massage added to the feeling of luxury and relaxation.
Worth every bit of monies spent. Definitely stay here. SO WORTH IT!!!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing Lake and View of Mt Fuji
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank LuxeTravellerIndia
Reviewed 14 September 2008

Travelling by myself in July of 2007, I found myself in
Moto-Hakone not knowing where I was going to stay.
Didn't want to backtrack to the youth hostels a couple of busses and easily an hour away. All the hotels in town were sold out, but I had noticed Hotel de Yama's shuttle bus schedule at the bus stop, so I called and they had one room left at $200 including breakfast. GULP! I was told I could easily walk there in about 10 minutes by following the lakeshore. I'm glad I did. It was a beautiful, evening stroll that led me to a giant, lit up torii gate in the water and just past that was the hotel. From beginning to end, it was excellent. My room felt more like luxurious, small SUITE.
The onsen pool may have been RELATIVELY small, but everything about it felt luxurious including the stand-up shower with 6 showerheads/spouts. I want one of those! Having 2 free massage chairs, a foot plus a back massage added to the feeling of luxury and relaxation.
Breakfast the next morning was lovely and the wait staff was excellent. Felt as if I was at a very high class hotel.
Location is excellent. Every room has a view of the lake. The grounds are gorgeous even if their famous azalea garden isn't in bloom. Unfortunately, the timing and weather wasn't working with me. No sighting of Fuji. There is a free shuttle bus running until late afternoon if you need one cuz of luggage.
I walked in with a knapsack, looking a little worse for wear, but I was treated like royalty. Then again, that's the way customer service is in Japan, isn't it!
Loved it!! WELL WORTH THE TREAT!!!! GO!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo