“Lovely Setting and Amenities”

Hyatt Regency Hakone Resort and Spa
Kaneohe, HI
“Lovely Setting and Amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

I totally enjoyed staying at this hotel and wish I could have stayed longer. As several other reviewers have noted, this is great for getting away from the hustle and bustle of Japanese cities.

I had a very large room with a view of the nearby mountains. I would have wished for a room with a view of Mt. Fuji but all those had been taken. As I said, it was a very large room and one of the little special treats of the room was that I was greeted with a very nice plate of luscious strawberries when I arrived. The room itself was very well appointed and even had a nice little outside balcony. I had a large sitting area, a very large be and a separate bathroom which was very well equipped. I ended up, though, not using the very large bath as I took all my baths in the onsen downstairs.

One of the special treats of this hotel was the luxurious lobby complete with a fireplace and with a huge picture window opening on a quiet and lovely garden. In the early evening this lobby is turned into a great "happy hour" kind of place, complete with free wine, beer, champagne and snacks. Also there is a piano player who entertained with a nice selection of popular songs, played on a very elegant Bosendorfer grand piano. This was an excellent place to meet and greet, and I believe I made several friends just sitting there.

One of the previous reviewers mentioned the wearing of the traditional yukata (provided by the hotel) in this room and indeed in all the public rooms in the hotel. To me, this is one of the special treats of any hotel, and certainly this one. The story I read in one of the reviews of the couple that ran back to their room because mostly everyone was in their "normal" clothes got a good chuckle from me, as the wearing of a yukata is one of the fun things about being in an onsen. I really enjoyed sitting in the "happy hour" room in my yukata and even enjoyed having dinner later on dressed in the traditional onsen garb.

The restaurant was one of the less wonderful things about the hotel, because I didn't think the food was anything particularly special and as some of the other reviewers mentioned, was quite overpriced. You also are pretty much left with the hotel restaurants, as it's quite a distance into the nearest little town. It's certainly not enough to change my opinion of this place, though. The day I was there it began to snow during dinner, and the waiter told me it was one of the few times it had snowed that early in the season (December 30) and was considered a "good omen."

Anyway, I totally enjoyed my stay here and will certainly return at my next opportunity.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2011

Stayed here for three nights whilst enjoying hiking and exploring in the beautiful Hakone area. I couldn't be more complementary about the facilities or the service that we received.
The hotel is beautiful and very stylish. The rooms very large (especially for Japan) and we had a super king sized, comfortable bed. The hotel also had a good selection of restaurants and a lovely breakfast was included in the rate.

I will definitely return here when I go back to Hakone.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2010

Decided to take a break from Tokyo and very glad I did. This was the most relaxing and perfect trip I have ever taken.

The hotel room was so large and beyond beautiful. I stay at many hotels and this one took my breath away. Nothing is overlooked from the heated towel racks to the Aesop amenities. The bathroom alone is bigger than most hotel rooms. There was a seperate dressing area, living room, two hallways, the bed area, and an indoor balcony area.

The staff went out of their way to be helpful. The service here even out did the service at the famed Park Hyatt in Tokyo. The hotel will send a van to pick you up at the train station if you request it in advance. The doormen were great. One of the days it was snowing and they gave us umbrellas to use and made sure that the shuttles were ready to leave when we ventured out. The front desk also booked us a private rotenburo (hot spring tub) and arranged for the shuttle driver to pick us up for free after our reservation. The breakfast was good, and the dinner was beyond superb. There is a free champaign reception everyday with snacks and free drinks in front of an indoor fire pit.

I am making a special trip back to Japan just to stay here again. I highly recommend this hotel.

Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

This is a great hotel. We stayed here for a couple of nights and it was wonderful after a hectic time in Tokyo. The rooms here are enormous and you are kitted out with a Yukata and shoes. They recommend wearing them around the hotel and for the free drinks in the evening. We thought better of it and didn't wear ours but we did spot a couple who came down in the full attire only to rush back in the lift when they saw everyone else was in their normal clothes!

The hotel hosts free drinks in the early evening and this was excellent. Drinks in Japan are very expensive and we certainly got our money's worth in those 2 short hours!

Only negative is that the hotel is well out of town - you need to take a taxi there. We ate in the hotel both nights but this was very expensive (although the bar menu is a lot cheaper).

Hakone region is lovely and this is a great hotel to base yourself at.

1 Thank LittleMaharani
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

We had a very nice room here on the top floor which was tastefully decorated and of good quality.

The Onsen was very luxurious compared to others we had been to in Japan and the hotel had a real serene vibe to it. Incredibly relaxing and peaceful. We had a FANTASTIC view of Mt. Fuji from our room and we're lucky enough to see her on 2 occasions during our 3 day stay!

There are buildings around the hotel but to be honest I would call it far from built up as another reviewer said. I actually find that statement laughable! You don't even see any of the buildings when in the hotel as it really feels like a sanctuary.

There are free soft drinks, beer, wine and CHAMPAGNE served in the relaxing common area every day for 2 or 3 hours from memory. They also have a beautiful log fire in the centre of the room which creates a lovely relaxing vibe. Very romantic place for couples and would recommend it fully!

My only criticism about the hotel is that the restaurants are just average. I advise that you book as most of the guest end up eating there. The French place is okay 6 or 7/10 but the Sushi place is really quite disappointing. It really looks the part but I did not rate the sushi one bit. Breakfast is good quality and variety and the staff we're attentive. I have only marked it 4 out of 5 starts because the restaurants could be better. Everything else is 5 star!

One nope about the Ropeway. Lake Ashi is a dump and I would advise that you do not go there. A completely wasted trip. We enjoyed the other stops on the ropeway as it was very interesting to see the sulfuric mountainside and the famous Black Eggs but this hotel really is a sanctuary from an otherwise pretty boring little town.

1 Thank Shell4Andy
fleurr
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

We previously visited and reviewed the Hyatt regency and had the most amazing time there and this trip were keen to repeat our previous dream vacation but unfortunately things just didn't go right for us this time around and we won't be visiting again.

The good points..as previously the rooms are amazing with those big huge open windows and mountain air. The beds and the touches of luxury in the room inc the shower room, lighting arrangements etc are all truly amazing. The room is very, very comfortable. The in hotel onsen is another highlight. The 4-7pm free drinks downstairs are also a lovely touch.

The bad points this time we just couldn't overlook. it began with us, arriving drenched after running from kami gora in a typhoon, were shown to our room and we straight away opened our great giant windows to enjoy the misty views. We soon noticed that water was dripping from the air conditioner ONTO the bed and called straightaway to find out what was going on. After several communications we were eventually told we may have to leave our windows shut for the duration of our stay which really defeats the purpose of the room for me..eventually we swapped rooms after alot of do this and then check if its still doing it etc but there was no breakfast or any token offered in exchange for us basically wasting the first few hours of our stay.
I also find the food to be a real down point there...the furnicular stops running at 7pm not that anything is open in Gora anyway..there used to be a great little ramen shop just slightly down the hill from the hotel but that seemed to be closed for the season so you really were held ransom by the food in the hotel. It was such a shame too as we had such great foot in tokyo and had to finish our trip on very average western food for very high prices (dinner was $250aud and really average).
The biggest problem to me came on the one full day of our stay where we arranged with the staff to visit a onsen that had private bath's as I wasn't fully comfortable with the shared onsen of the hotel and was really excited about the idea of being able to fully relax in a private bath. They told us 3pm the hotel shuttle would take us, charged us for the onsen and said everything was taken care of...so we really built the day around it as it was at 3pm off we went on the shuttle. We get to the onsen approx 15 mins away and they have no idea what we are talking about and have no private onsens even available that day. I'm forced to use my australian mobile to call the hotel to come back and get us (which they weren't even really clear on the phone they were actually doing?). When we arrived back they apologised but really....it seems ridiculous. Again no token of breakfast or anything was offered in apology. If there was a chance of there being no availability on arrival why didn't they tell us as we wouldn't have chosen to go just on a chance...it was really sold to us as a guaranteed.

Unfortunately for me the whole stay was really disappointing. We love Hakone and can't wait to go back but will be staying elsewhere next time. This was a bit of splurge for us at $350aud a night and there were just too many issues.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank fleurr
Berlin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

The hotel is generally okay. Nice design, big rooms, attractive lobby area. And even the Onsen, the japanese-style spa, is an experience. However, comparing to the pictures on internet and in regard of the room rates the hotel is rather disappointing and not worth the money. And be prepared: Although it is part of a Western chain, the hotel is very much Japanese and partly similar to a Ryokan.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple