“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Tenseien
Hong Kong, China
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

The hotel is convenience and nice. We just take 100yen can take a shuttle from the train station to the hotel, that is convenience. I was a bit surprised when we went inside that we couldn't wear even slipper, I felt so cold therefore seldom walk inside the hotel. We booked the private hot spring room, that was nice. Food, buffet dinner & breakfast, unexpectedly less choices, taste just average, that was a bit disappointed. Wifi provided, quite stable, that is seldom in most of the hot spring hotel. Staff are friendly and helpful. Overall the hotel is nice, but if you expect good Japanese food that is not the one you should pick. Recommend for family.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

This is a great hotel !
I discovered this place on my third day in Japan, and on a short trip (5 days) from Tokyo to Kyoto I have to say that this place is the one I liked the most. The hot springs are amazing too, you definitely have to test this.
By the way, I was able to use their delivery service to send my luggage to my next hotel, it's truly helpful as you don't have to carry your heavy stuff with you anymore. It's a great possibility and I hugely recommend other tourists to use it !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Alban C
Hong Kong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed at Tenseien based on favorable comments It turn out to be a bit of disappointment.
We stayed for one night in a Japanese-western room with private bathroom. The room is clean and quite large. It has modern facilities including a PC in room although the mouse is not usable. One big plus is the free wifi which is not usually available in Japanese hotspring hotels.
What I am most disappointed is there dinner. We had dinner buffet in other hotspring hotels in Japanese and the one offered by Tenseien is the worse so far. The setting is chaotic, The selection is limited and quantity is scarce. There are queues for exotic items such as teppenyaki. The cooked dish are quickly swiped in 5 minutes. I am lucky to be about to get some beef stew with rice as my dinner. This is never my experience of buffet dinners in other hotspring hotels in Japan. I just wonder why there are praise for their dinner.
But I think the management at Tenseien should look seriously at another issue. You will not wear any shoes inside the hotel, not even a pair of slipper? This is the first time I walk for 2 days just on socks. A lot of hotel guests were actually walking on bare foot only. I understand most Japanese would not wear shoes in their home. But this is a hotel with a lot of public places including the restaurant!
Parking is not FREE!
For the price I paid, I think I better stay in other places in Hakone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank jkfchan
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

Location: Easy access. Just get off at Harkone main station, and either walk 15-20mins or take minibus (100yen/person).

Room: We stayed in a Jap Style room with Private Hot Spring at the balcony. The room is big, with 2 toilets. It looks like the room is for family.

Hotspring: The hot spring is big enough for a couple and is facing a hill slope, though the view is just ok, but it was a wonderful experience. If you want better view, the hotel has an outdoor hotspring for men and women respectively. The mountain view is just perfect! If you want, they also offer family hot spring, but you need to book it and it costs approx. 2000yen/hour.

Dinner: buffet dinner. Food is not bad with great variety (jap & western).

Overall: Although it doesn't give you any authentic Japanese local home experience, it is a good hotel with good facility.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank willylam
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We loved the beautiful surroundings and the breakfast spread! The Kaiseki dinner was nothing to shout about (we had better Kaiseki dinners in a ryokan in Kyoto). If you are looking for a ryokan experience, Tenseien is not the place.

Room Tip: Choose the tatami room, better experience than a normal room with beds.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Vilnius, Lithuania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

This was our best experience in Japanese hotels during our 19 days trip in Japan. May be this was because we were traveling in a group of 12, for a couple may be it is easier to find a small traditional ryokan, if you want more intimate atmosphere, but for our group this Tensein was just perfect!

As already mentioned, location is very convenient to leave you bags in Yumoto station. It is very good place to start and to finish the trip around the Hakone. Surroundings are very beautiful, with temple and waterfalls, where you can sit and enjoy traditional Japanese landscape.

Staff was very nice and helpful! Lady from the reception filled 13 luggage sending forms, letting me to enjoy my breakfast instead of drawing strange Jaoanese characters, which, probably, would even be unreadable.

Complimentary dinner we abundant - western and japanese dishes, best tempura and fresh sushi, clams and crab meat. We all were really happy with our choice.

Room Tip: Please note, that in japanese style rooms there are no beds, just futon matraces, and also there is...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank IevaRute
singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

To be fair to this hotel (i wont call it ryokan because it doesnt feel like it), i visited a very pretty and excellent service ryokan in kawaguchiko (mt fuji) before i came. Naturally, expectations will be higher as a standard has been set.

Pros:
1) hotel surroundings are very pretty and zen. There's a temple, river, waterfall all surrounding the hotel.
2) hotel staff was able to understand my questions and answer them effectively. However, i do notice that they prefer to speak mandarin than english (i am effectively bilingual).
3) hotel is clean (relatively)
4) There were 4 different choices of very pretty yukata!!
5) The onsen is gorgeous!!!!! I visited at night so i couldnt really comment on the surroundings but it was damn good. For the ladies onsen, there was one indoor onsen -which was very hot for me. Outside in the cold, there are 6 onsens. Two of which were not typically hot. the other four were just nice for me and i enjoyed the one with the jacuzzi.
6) The hotel is very new.
7) being in hakone yumoto has its perks as it gave us the convenience after we check out. We left out bag at the coin locker at yumoto to save us the hassle of going back to the hotel. After our hakone round trip, we went back to the same station to collect our luggage before heading to odawara then kyoto by shinkansen.

Cons:
1) Like what one of the reviewers pointed out, this hotel is like a major factory. it doesnt feel like a traditional ryokan. If thats what you are looking for, this is not for you.

2) Staffs were not very hospitable. Since its my first trip to kawaguchiko and hakone, i tried to research and planned carefully. But it was getting late and i couldnt figure out the time table from kawaguchiko to hakone. I called up the staffs and asked for help. I was merely hoping that he could help me google it in japanese or something but he rejected me flatly and told me that it wasnt his job. (Seriously!?) In the end i managed to find my way to hakone but not until 930pm.

3) If you arrive late, you wont be able to catch the shuttle bus (100yen) that runs for hakone yumoto to hotel. We had to take a cab. Its very tough to walk. 20mins with luggage is an understatement. Just take a cab. it costs us 710 yen.

4) we asked for a non smoking room but when we went in, the room was filled with cigarette smell.

5) hotel lobby is gorgeous but our room (western) was like a 3 star. The room with the in suite onsen look better.

6) ala carte restaurant on level 2 close at 11pm. Dinner choices was very limited.

In conclusion, I will only choose to come back for the onsen and only if i upgrade my room and dont require any service from the staffs.

p.s: Hakone free pass can be bought at hakone yumoto station.

Room Tip: Pay more and get the room with the in suite onsen. Onsen is gorgeous!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family