“French style B&B next to the water”

Lakeside Inn Charlotte
Ranked #20 of 50 B&Bs / Inns in Hakone-machi
Las Vegas
“French style B&B next to the water”
Reviewed 23 November 2010

This adorable B&B is 30 seconds from the lake. Dinning area as well as several rooms have beautiful views of the lake. The staff was excellent and extremely helpful. They recommend the Hakone-Free Pass for touring during the day, allowing us to get in many of the great attractions Hakone has to offer. Roughly 3 hours travel time from Tokyo. We also enjoyed an Onsen the B&B recommended and drove us too, this really allowed us to relax in the hot springs. If you have the time would highly recommend the Hakone Open Air Museum. Quiet but beautiful town, everything closes early, so it's really a place to relax and enjoy the atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank DntStpBlvng

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Stayed here for two nights, the room was large with awesome veiws over Lake Ashi, I found the manager to be helpfull, freindly and one hell of a cook, i am a bit perplexed by other reveiws regarding the manager, as a multiple visiter to Japan and well versed in Japanese culture and society I find some of these reveiws ignorant and downright rude. Lighten up, enjoy his personality and you will find a warm, extremely helpful and kind man only intent on making your stay enjoyable. Sure you can stay 5 star in the area and pay a fortune, but this little hotel had clean sheets, clean bathroom and toilet and the best veiws imaginable for a fraction of the cost of other Hotels in the area, add to this the freindly staff and I found it a winner. As for no internet, well people if you cant live without internet for a few days and enjoy the ambience ofr the area without being connected I think you need a reality check. We will go back!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank ShaunKarrathaWA
Singapore
Reviewed 18 April 2010

As all the reviews have stated, 'WATCH OUT FOR THE MANAGER!!!'
Stayed here for 1 night. There is NO FREEDOM AT ALL!!! The manager questions us on our itinerary like we are criminals. When we asked him for advise, he would stare at us rudely and tell us about the transport system in Japan and that it is never late. When we asked about the last bus, he would refuse to tell us and even said that many people missed that bus. I diskile his attitude toward the guest.
Breakfast was at 8am. But he didn't mention that it is at 8am and not like most hotels that I went which is from 8am. We were only late for 15 mins and was SCOLDED by him. What an unfriendly host!!! I thought Japanese are kind and polite but he is one blacksheep among the Japanese pepple. I'll never stay here ever again, much less reccommend to any one in the world.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jubilie1
singapore
Reviewed 10 November 2009

I am writing because I am puzzled by the review. Maybe the review did caused the service to improve. We reach the inn a couple of hours early and are allowed to leave our luggage there. The room is nice and view fantastic as it overlooks the lake. The internet is free but modem is not wireless and has to be shared. Breakfast is good and dinner is good though expensive, hence we decided to explore other places for dinner after the first day.

The owner is helpful and conversational and recommended us onsen that is lower than market price. He drove us back and forth. As I was not feeling that well on my last day of stay, he even offered to drive us to a bus stop with indoor shelter in the morning.

All I can say is I did not experience any thing negative about the place and would consider staying there again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Redtide75
sgp
Reviewed 17 October 2009

dont let him mess with you. I am not going to mention what happen as I had a great time with family at this overpriced area (in Hakone everything is expensive!)

I am glad I read the earlier reviews as it prepared me for the manager's attitude. After that incident, he was warm and hospitable.

I pay USD 380 for an INN!!!! had nice dinner & breakfast thrown in which were good ( love them Jap crabs)

HAKONE was beautiful! worth a visit but on a weekday

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank mikeyandhismouses
London
Reviewed 16 June 2009

My husband & I stayed here for 1 night. I must say the location is great, in term of right on Lake Ashi and about 3 mins walk from Moto-Hakone bus stop. However, I'd stay close to Odawara station next time. The reason is because it's the start of Hakone recommended route, and there are a lot more shops around the area than in Moto-Hakone itself. It takes about 40 mins bus ride from Odawara station to Moto-Hakone.
The hotel looks nice and it has an outdoor balcony facing the lake. The manager (maybe owner) spoke good English, however he didn't really act like a Japanese. Our room was located on the 3rd floor (no lift, so be careful if you have a lot of luggages). When we got into our room, my husband called the reception to ask about connecting to internet, but no one picked up the phone. A few seconds later, someone called back but he didn't speak English; so he passed the phone on to the manager. My husband asked him about the internet, and he said that our room rate didn't include internet in the room, so we had to use free internet from the lobby. If we wanted access from the room, we'd have had to pay 1000 yen. I was surprised when he said this, because I was sure that their website didn't mention anything about paying extra for internet access from rooms. So, my husband immediately mentioned that to him, and he impolitely said that he was busy cooking and told my husband to come downstairs so he could took care of him. Not long after, we both went downstairs to go out for a walk, and when we saw him at the lobby he changed his words and said that the internet was broken, and now it was working fine so we could access it from the room for free. We both thought that it was very weird, because why he'd mention 1000 yen charge if the internet was broken. We think that he was trying to rip us off somehow, but he realised that it didn't work, so he changed his tactic.
The second thing was hot water was finished while i was in the middle of showering. So we called the reception and a few minutes later someone came up and hot water was back on. Seemed that they put a timer or limit on their hot water.
Apart from that, I must say that the room was the biggest of all hotels we'd stayed in japan. It's not modern, only average looking. The bathroom was big, it has the toilet separate from the shower. There was a bathtub, but also a japanese style shower, which means the whole bathroom got wet.
We didn't eat at the hotel at all, nor use the onsen service, as we went to Yunessun ourselves the next morning.
BTW, get Hakone Free Pass when you want to do the recommended route. it definitely saved us a lot of money. it also gave us a 700yen per person discount for Yunessun ticket.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travel_Qu33n
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2008

Very convenient, close to bus stop, right in front of the lake (like literally in front of the lake). Close to major tourist attraction.
Excellent service, they will take you to nearby onsen at night!

The food is perfect. I had the best shabu2 there.. you just have to eat at the hotel! I don't normally eat pork but i had the best pork ever, so tender and sweet. I could go on and on about the food they serve which I'm sure will bored people to death.

Overall it's a great stay, also it's fairly cheap for the price.

• Liked — Food and location
  • Disliked — the room isn't the best
  • Stayed June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)