“Excellent location and great hotel!”

Yumoto Fujiya Hotel
Los Angeles
“Excellent location and great hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We highly recommend this hotel if you are going to visit Hakone area. Excellent location, right across the bridge from Yumoto train station. The hotel itself sits amid the lush green serene expanse with the beautiful mountains in the background. Our room (standard) was very large and had a Japanese style sitting area. We even took the pictures of ourselves in the sitting area with provided Yukata (Japanese robes). All toiletteries, full yukata robes and slippers were provided. We booked the private hot spring bathtub room for US$10/45 min. It was absolutely worth it. The room has a tub, shower (sit style) and dressing area. It felt good to walk around in a spacious secluded hotel in Yukata. (Most of the guests did.) We ate at the Japanese restaurant (a la carte) and it was decent. We wish we could stay a few more nights!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Cebu
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

This hotel is just about two minutes walk from the train station and bus stops. If you plan to go sightseeing in Hakone, this would be the place to start off. However, there is virtually nothing to do in this part of town. At night, we just did the hotel's onsen as all the places outside were already closed. It was a bit on the expensive side even if you count in the free buffet breakfast, which was okay but not great. Only a handful of the staff spoke english so communication was a problem.

Room Tip: get the rooms in the new wing...less noise as well.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Bucks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We chose this hotel for its location; Yumoto is the starting (and ending) point for Hakone trips. If you go further into Hakone, the train services become painfully slow and infrequent. So, if the weather is not favourable to sightseeing in Hakone, featuring magnificent views of Mt. Fuji, it is possible to visit Kamakura as an alternative.
We were upgraded to a much bigger room (43m2) with a better view than the one we originally booked as there was a band playing nearby and we would have been disturbed. The room was slightly dated but comfortable and very clean. The hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful.
The public baths, including outside ones, were nothing special but we certainly enjoyed the experiences of dipping into the Onsen (hot spar) which opens 5am and closes 1am!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a very convenient location ( a stone's throw from the station and near the start of the Hakone round trip) and had great facilities including its own onsen (open until 1am most days) and three good restaurants. We had a great view of the river and mountains from the balcony in our room, and at night we could hear the river flowing which was really peaceful.

The staff are incredibly helpful and kind - we mistakenly arrived a day early and as they didn't have the same type of room available, they gave us an even nicer room at no extra charge!

I would recommend a Japanese style ryokan room - the bamboo mats and kimonos all added to the experience!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is one of the pricier hotel I have booked in my trip, but Hakone is a touristy area so it is as expected. The hotel has great location, within five minutes walk from Hakone-yumoto station, which is the end stop if you took romance train from Shinjuku. You can experience all different modes of transportation Hakone offers starting from here. Plenty of bus routes, and close to Odawara if you need to catch bullet trains.

You have to walk over a short bridge and an elevator will take you up to hotel level. Spacious lobby, and great service from the staff. I arrive early at noon, but they allow me to deposit my bags and promise to deliver my bags to my room when available, so I can go tour in the area. There was a small mixed up that the receptionist told me breakfast wasn't included even though it was stated on my reservation receipt, but it was sorted out later with another receptionist.
When I returned in the afternoon, a hotel staff personally took me to my room, and all my bags had already been delivered. I booked a single room, but I got a free upgrade to a double room. The room is pretty good size even with a sofa area.

The hot spring was really good with spacious pool area. I love the outdoor area especially at night. I think I even heard monkeys or weird animal sound, which is exciting and freaks me out at the same time. Bottom line, it was very comfortable, relaxing, and you felt like you have the entire place to yourself.

Yumoto Fujiya has 3 or 4 different restaurants(Japanese, Chinese, and French) inside and also a bakery shop. The restaurants are very pricey, set dinner ranges from the cheapest $35 to $100 above. There weren't many restaurants in the immediate yumoto station area let along ones opening for dinner, so I was compelled to eat in the restaurant. Then I found out you have a lot more choices (with reasonable pricing) if you took a 15 minute train to Odawara and eat there, especially if you have Hakone pass you can ride free.

Overall great hotel and great experience. Will definitely stay here again when I need to indulge myself a little.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 554mikeas
Honolulu, HI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

The Yumoto Fujiya is more of a western style hotel. The check in service was a little weird for me. Instead of receiving a card key for my room after checking in, we were told to wait for someone to show us to our room. We waited for about 5 minutes before we were greeted by a pleasant employee who explained how the card key works, dining in the hotel and some other things. We still had to wheel and carry our own luggage to the room. The onsen is nice. 2 large indoor pools - one that is still the other with underwater jets. There are 2 outdoor pools. 1 is stone with very comfortable carve outs all along the perimeter. The other is a rectangular cedar pool. Both can accommodate about 10 - 12 people each. The Japanese sit down dining restaurant in the hotel sucks. Eat at the (pricey) buffet. Better yet, eat at the izakaya on the 2nd floor. Better bang for your buck. And they open till midnight.

Room Tip: Convenient westernized hotel. Stay elsewhere if you want more of a Japanese experience.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed at the Yumoto Fujiya Hotel for 2 nights while we were in Hakone. The staff at the check-in counter were great and informed us that unfortunately there weren't many restaurants around the area and even the ones that were around would not be open until very late so we decided to book with them for dinner at the Japanese restaurant inside of the hotel.

The room was of a moderate size with not much of a view of the roof of the neighbouring building but for a 2 night stay it was acceptable.

Despite the hotel not being that close to Hakone itself, the location was great in that it was very close to the JR station and we could easily hop on a bus to go to Hakone during the day (about 40 minutes travel, one way).

The hotel offers a number of services including a large public onsen, a games room and 3 or 4 restaurants. I would stay here again except be aware that the restaurants are not as cheap as one might like, but they are of good quality

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple