“Nice place that's close to public transport, but take the train, not the bus or you'll end up hiking up a petit-mountain”

Tonosawa Ichinoyu Shinkan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

We took the bus from the main station and we ended up having to walk up such windy stairs with our luggage, it was like climbing a mountain with extra weight at a 50 degree angle! Both my boyfriend and I are physically fit, I run about 5x a week at about 5 miles each time, but it was absolutely dreadful going up the stairs! If you do decide to stay here, take the train, it's only one flight of stairs up (not 4 sets of steep stairs). But other than that, if you decide to check out the botanical gardens next door, you can also hitch a free ride from the bus there to a train station. The hotel itself was impeccably clean. We stayed in a room with its own onsen which I loved. The vending machine dispenses beer and a couple other alcoholic drinks. So we bought a couple and laid out in the onsen before dinner and before bedtime. The tatami mats are very comfortable and the room itself is very spacious. The area itself is very charming if you're looking for something with a rustic appeal, but there are no shops closeby and I would definitely recommend getting the meal included with the stay. The food was incredible and service was also nice. Don't be late! They'll call you within 5 minutes of your designated show-up time to check up on you to see if you're still going to arrive.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nowy Sacz, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2010

Loved the hotel, except the futons!
The location is quiet, up a steep hill, the some, from Hakone station, but short ride in a taxi. short walk from the nearest station on the loop, but trains arrive packed full. |So maybe worth a taxi back to the main starting point
The hotel is small, rooms lovely (save for those futons!) and the hot bath on the terrace sets you up in the morning, refreshes after a day out and about or unwind before bed.
Food was excellent, Stayed two nights, so had both variations, we thorough;y enjoyed both and breakfast was good too.
We'd go back like a shot - in fact, we're aiming to include this hotel on our next visit to Japan

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
East Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

I arrived later than I had planned (took a taxi from Hakone Yumoto station), but the staff still had dinner ready for me even though I was 30 minutes past the time posted. I was tickled to see it was shabu shabu, and the meal in general was very tasty. Breakfast was less tasty, but that's because I wasn't in love with the extremely aromatic fish that was the main dish. Still, there was a little veggie/tofu hot pot, which was good.

I had a Japanese style twin room with a private bath, and I was fortunate enough that they would reserve it for one person instead of charging for double occupancy, like many other ryokan do. The bathroom was only a toilet and sink, so you still have to go down to the public bath to shower. I suppose you could use the bucket that's next to the bath on the balcony if you preferred...

Even though the room was Japanese-style, the beds were really just low Western beds. The room was big and spacious, and since I was on the third floor, it had a high peaked ceiling. Totally unexpected in Japan, but a nice surprise.

One downside is that there is no elevator, so make sure you're able to climb stairs with luggage before booking here. I probably could have asked the guy at the desk to carry my luggage, but he didn't look much stronger than me.

I didn't really poke around Hakone since the weather was rainy and dreary, so I can't say much for the area. I would like to go back someday, and I will probably stay here again. It was expensive, even for just one person, but it was my splurge for the trip.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank soah_kim
Miyagi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2010

B/c it was my sister's first trip to Japan, so I wanted her to try the onsen experience, which I have come to love so much after living in Japan for about 1 year. I booked the hotel for one night through the ichinoyu website and specially chose the room with private open air bath, so that my sister does not have to feel weird about being naked in front of strangers in the public bath. The room was spacious and probably the best one we've stayed at during our trip. The breakfast was excellent too. We both enjoyed the kaiseki very much. And like most reviewers have already expressed their feelings. The only bad thing about this hotel is the staff. The manager guy, who checked us in, spoke okay English, probably good for Japanese standard, but was very rude. When I spoke to him in Japanese, and I consider my Japanese to be pretty good, he would reply in broken English with really weird gesture and expression. Before we checked out of the hotel, I asked him if it is possible to hold me luggage until the time for me to go to Hakone Yumoto station, he said okay, but say that it would cost me if I want to send the luggage to the station. I assumed that he understood me, and said that I will not send it to the station, b/c I will come back and get it and bring it to the station in English. But he did not understand that part and raised his voice, saying that I need to fill out the form to pay for the transportation of the luggage in Japanese, and he was very rude, did not even use formal language, which was the norm when a staff was to speak to a guest. I answered him Japanese that I do not want to send my luggage to the station, I myself will come back and take it to the station. That's when I shut him up. It was probably not that big of a deal, but having been in Japan for so long and have only encountered nice people. My encounter with him, especially when he is in the service business, was really bothered me. I have traveled all over Japan and have stayed at many hotels and ryokans, and I must say I have never been treated so bad. If you have not lived in Japan or do not understand Japanese, you would probably be okay, b/c you have lower expectation for service. But b/c Japanese people in general always take great pride and care in servicing guests and customers, I concluded that I would not stay at this place again b/c of the staff.

Tips: From Hakone Yumoto station, you can board the free bus to the Begonia Garden, which is across from the hotel. The bus is very 15 mins. so it is very convenient to get to and from the hotel, so you don't have to climb a very high hill to the hotel from the station.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank lilliannguyen86
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

I stayed at this quaint Japanese inn on July 4th for one night. I picked this inn due to its proximity to Hakone-Yumato and the private onsen bath in the room. I was not disappointed. The experience, service, food, and location were excellent. I took a cab from the train station (Hakone-Yumato) which took all of 5 minutes for 710Yen. The next day I actually walked back to the train station (downhill walk). I arrived at about noon time and they graciously checked us in and held our bags since rooms were not available until 3PM. Did plenty of sightseeing till the room was ready. I picked a room with the private bath and low western style beds. The room on the 2nd floor was clean, neat and convenient. I had a nice view of the mountainside which from the bath at night was terrific. The bath was clean and roomy for two. It was hot but you could add cold water till comfortable. The beds were pretty comfortable. The rooms were air-conditioned and comfortable. Dinner and breakfast was served in a large dining room. service was terrific and they couldn't do enough to please us. Dinner was "Kaiseki" style with several small dishes and a delicious pork dish. (pork cutlets wrapped in vegetables). After dinner went for a short walk around the neighborhood which was very quiet and seemed pretty safe. Breakfast was a traditional Japanese breakfast. I had no idea what I was eating half the time but everything was very good and finished everything off. I did not use the public bath since the private one was sufficient. The only negative comment would be that check-out time at 10am is too early. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend this inn for a leisurely stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kramg
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2008

I stayed at Ichinoyu Shinkan for two nights in July, 2008 with my two daughters. Overall, I liked this inn but I have some mixed feelings. Let me share some pros and cons.

Pros: The 5 minute walk from the Tonosawa station to the inn is enchanting, almost fairy tale like setting with lush mountains, flowers and the view of the roaring river. The inn is new and nice. Our room had a private onsen in our balcony that we really enjoyed. It's definately worth the extra money. The communal bath had lots of complementry amenities like a foot massager and local lava soaps/shampoo and although small, very nice indoor and outdoor bathing areas, We had the whole bath to ourselves and felt so pampered.

The friendliness of the staff varied. One lady there who worked in the dinning hall couldn't have been sweeter. When she realized my daughters were vegetarians, she went out of her way to accommodate them and next morning, we almost missed breakfast had she not come by our room to get us.

Cons: The rest of the staff were not that friendly. They were professonal but slightly on the cold side. I have to somewhat agree with the previous comment about the staff.

Also, this place can be a good deal for two people but if you are traveling with children (specially vegetarians!), it may be overpriced as they are charged full adult price.

This is not directly connected to the inn, but there is an older gentleman whose pottery studio is located along the walk to the inn. The very first time we were headed to the inn, he stopped to talk to us but after that, everytime we walked by, he just gave us dirty looks and wouldn't even say hi back. If you stay here, you won't be able to miss him as he is out there everyday. I tried not to let it bother me but I was puzzled and somewhat offended.

Hakone it self is charming and magical. Of all the places we visited, Hakone ranks as our favorite and would recommend for anyone going to Japan to check it out.

• Liked — onsen in the balcony and the lush setting
  • Disliked — not having vegetarian options and unfriendly staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2008

Booked a room via email and in English. As with common practice here, the room rate came with breakfast and dinner.

Ichinoyu Shinkan is part of a bigger chain of onsen inns - its closest cousin, Ichinoyu Honkan is down the hill by the road-side. Shinkan is clearly a less-glamorous and less-up market inn compared to its other cousins.

Shinkan is on top of a hill, near the spring's source and close to an interesting mountain temple (10min walk away) as well as a small number of local tombs. Just follow the path from Tonosawa station (as you align from Hakone-Yumoto) until you reach a fork in the path next to a rock garden. Take the left path heading up the hill vs the right path down the hill to Honkan.

The room was not too small, like other inns in Japan but it was not very big either. Comfortable, nonetheless. Unlike other onsen inns I stayed in, the futons have been laid for you in advance and they are not cleared during the day. Instead, a separate tatami mat area was set up between the futons and the onsen tub, to be used as a living area.

Our room came with its own en-suite onsen bath tub and toilet. Note that there are no shower facilities in the room, hence those in need of a shower have to head downstairs to the communal onsen. The view from our room was so-so with sight of the mountain in the distance and a small carpark in the foreground but the overall tranquility of the place made siting in the onsen tub quite relaxing. Strangely, we never heard the cars that drove in in the night. That was how peaceful the place was.

Dinner was served in the dining hall. The first night's meal was so so. Very fatty pork and vegetable shabu shabu. The side dishes were much better. But the second night's meal was good. A hotpot, fragrant mushroom rice, a whole fresh fish, a large fresh scallop each and other assorted side dishes.

Breakfast was ok. Plenty of vegetables, pickled seaweed and tofu items...and eggs half-boiled in the onsen. Quite refreshing and a good healthy as well as deceptively hearty start to the morning.

Do note that dinner is typically served at 6pm, with 7pm being the latest time to start. Also, Ichinoyu Shinkan is like every other onsen inn where check-in must be done before 3 or 4pm if you want to be included for dinner. Staff would ask you what time you want to have dinner. They all speak basic English so no worries.

All said and done, I rate Ichinoyu Shinkan above average because (1) the room was nice and comfortable, (2) the staff (mostly ladies in their 60s) were exceptionally courteous and friendly and (3) the good experience of having your own onsen tub amidst such surreal surroundings for a very reasonable room rate.

The warm, as opposed to the usual scalding, waters of the onsen also made our stay enjoyable, by allowing us non-natives to enjoy onsen without too much apprehension.

That said, the communal onsens in Ichioyu Shinkan were mundane. If I were to stay in Ichinoyu Shinkan again, I would definitely opt for the rooms with en-suite tubs.

Tonosawa is out of the way enough to get away from the relative buzz of Hakone-Yumoto, Gora and the ports alongside Lake Aishi. Yet, Tonosawa is not too difficult to get to and is a good base to explore the Hakone region - Tonosawa being on the train line between Hakone-Yumoto and Gora. There may be better and definitely more expensive onsen inns in Miyanoshita and Gora but for the price I paid, Ichinoyu Shinkan is good value.

• Liked — quaint, peaceful surroundings & good value
  • Disliked — day 1's dinner menu
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple