“Small but inexpensive by Japanese standards”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kawasaki
Heiwa Plaza Hotel Kawasaki Higashida
Ranked #37 of 43 Hotels / Ryokan in Kawasaki
Ottawa, Canada
“Small but inexpensive by Japanese standards”
Reviewed 26 August 2007

This hotel should not be confused with another hotel with the same name in Yokohama.

I stayed in room 902 (a "Type A" single room), for which I paid 6300 yens per night, including breakfast.

I had problems reserving this room. I received no reply to the E-mail messages I sent in English to the address mentioned on the Web page. In the end, I asked a friend in Japan to phone the hotel to confirm the reservation in Japanese.

This was my first trip to Japan, although I've been to China and Korea. The room was incredibly small by my standards, but apparently normal by Japanese standards. It was about the size of a student dormitory room in Canada or the USA.

The bed (which was fully satisfactory) occupied about half the size of the room. There was a clothes rack (but no closet), a television, a refrigerator, a desk and a small chair. The bathroom was made of a single plastic "block", in a manner I again saw later in Japan. The sink and toilet were normal enough, but the shower-bath combination was about half the length of a normal bath.

My room didn't look quite like the photo on the web site. The far wall had only a clothes rack; the desk, chair and television were against the right-side wall. The usable space was less than you would think from the photo.

Towels were thin but were replaced daily. Amenities which were provided included a tooth brush, tooth paste, a disposable razor, a small comb, and so on. I don't know whether or not that's normal in Japan. There was also a kind of full-length nightgown (which I never used and put out of the way and which was dutifully put back in its place every day) and slippers.

Breakfast was rice, bread and rolls, jam, honey and butter, eggs, and vegetables, and well as orange juice, coffee (hot and cold), and tea. I was intrigued by the Japanese dishes, but lost interest when I saw that they involved some kind of "instant" powder you added to hot water.

There was a computer with a free Internet connection in the lobby. I used it frequently and never saw it used by someone else.

The staff's knowledge of English was quite limited. I wanted to complain that the alarm clock in the room didn't work and ask for a replacement, but I didn't get one; I'm not sure whether a replacement wasn't available or whether the staff simply didn't understand me.

The hotel has about twelve floors, each with at least ten rooms, but the hotel was barely occupied according to the number of people I saw in the breakfast room and the number of people I saw go in and out.

The neighbourhood apparently has many bars and night clubs, but I didn't have any trouble with noise. The "kyakubiki" or "customer pullers" (which I learned are common in Japan) mostly left me alone, perhaps because I was Caucasian.

It took me about seven minutes to walk to the train station (once I found the best way to go), and about ten minutes by train to get to Yokohama. The one-way cost was 210 yens. Trains are very frequent, so this may be a suitable lower-cost choice for someone going to Yokohama.

Stayed August 2007